Topic: Suggestions for basic jazz piano gigging setup

I am a newb needing per the title a basic jazz piano gig setup.
   I have a sufficient MIDI controller/keyboard.
   I do not need versatility, multiple pianos, nuances,  etc.  I just need a decent basic sounding jazz piano (preference for Bill Evans type sound).
   I also have an iPad Air 2, iRig Pro, Lightning adapter but do I understand correctly that Pianoteq pianos do not work on iOS devices like iPads ?
   I could also get a small dedicated purpose Windows tablet if that is the way to go if you could recommend a make/model.

So... could you please suggest everything I would need to get going, e.g. specific Pianoteq model and piano (Stage ?) and computer to play it in, user interface and ... ?

As a newb I have surmised that for a price point of $600 or less that rules out a MIDI keyboard with onboard piano sound (unless perhaps used which I want to stay away from) and also rules out a hardware sound module (I have an old Yamaha P50m and Sound Canvas,  but piano sounds just don't cut it.) 

Any guidance would be greatly appreciated !  No fun being a newb...

Best,

Bob

Re: Suggestions for basic jazz piano gigging setup

Bcarwell wrote:

I do not need versatility, multiple pianos, nuances,  etc.  I just need a decent basic sounding jazz piano (preference for Bill Evans type sound).
   I also have an iPad Air 2, iRig Pro, Lightning adapter but do I understand correctly that Pianoteq pianos do not work on iOS devices like iPads ?
   I could also get a small dedicated purpose Windows tablet if that is the way to go if you could recommend a make/model.

So... could you please suggest everything I would need to get going, e.g. specific Pianoteq model and piano (Stage ?) and computer to play it in, user interface and ... ?

As a newb I have surmised that for a price point of $600 or less that rules out a MIDI keyboard with onboard piano sound (unless perhaps used which I want to stay away from) and also rules out a hardware sound module (I have an old Yamaha P50m and Sound Canvas,  but piano sounds just don't cut it.) 

Best,

Bob

Hi Bob,
Please keep it simple.

Are you actually asking for advice on a suitable laptop & sound interface combination?

I suggest you get a suitable system sorted then try Pianoteq and competing plugins for yourself.
Non of the modelled or sampled pianos are likely to match exactly to the Bill Evans sound in your head.
I would suggest perhaps the Steinway B, the Upright and Steinway D in Pianoteq packs. You may prefer the other models.
Probably best to go immediately for Pianoteq Standard to be able to tune the sound to get closer to the Evans sound.

If keeping to $600 including Pianoteq software then go second hand for hardware. Make sure you get SSD for fast operations.

Bob-

Rather than just asking for advice, it seems you need to do some research on your own first to understand the issues you're facing a bit better. No disrespect intended, but your question doesn't provide enough information to really be answerable as written, which is why it hasn't received much response so far.

Does your intended gigging use also require you to provide amplification? If so, then your budget is quite limited and will basically go toward that. Since you already have the keyboard you intend to use, you'll need to decide on your speaker/amplification next, especially since you don't seem too picky about your piano sound. Your amplification needs (and therefore price) will be determined by the kinds of gigs you will be doing (e.g. size of room, indoor/outdoor, solo piano in a quiet space vs. with a band in a louder room).

At $600, assuming you don't need something battery powered for busking (but those are also available...), you are likely looking at a single powered speaker like a QSC CP8, an Electro Voice ZX-A1 or QSC K8.2 (I have purchased a demos on sale for around that price in the past). There are cheaper models if necessary as well. The portable line arrays are also coming down in price and are interesting if you don't need a lot of volume; this one is one of the cheaper ones: https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail...e-ip500-v2

You could connect your iPad to one of those powered speakers directly (i.e. without going through an audio interface) via an 1/8" stereo audio cable, using any iOS piano sound to try it out. Try it with the free GarageBand Steinway first, then other iOS pianos like the Ravenscroft, one of the pianos with Korg Module running Synthogy, or Pure Piano. That may be enough for you?

If you want to use Pianoteq, I'd wonder if you have an old computer lying around to use? It doesn't take much processing power.  There are some threads here on the forum using Raspberry Pi's, which are quite inexpensive. Someday, hopefully soon, Modartt will come out with Pianoteq on iOS. They said last summer they were working on Pianoteq for iOS, so maybe we'll see it this year. You can't count on it for now, but it's coming. Someday...

FYI, The Steinway D jazz preset for Pianoteq 4 was modified by Modartt in one of their old workshops to get a Bill Evans trio ca. 1965-style sound:
https://www.modartt.com/index.php?page=...tion=evans

There are FXP files from that workshop available on that workshop page, building off the Steinway D jazz preset in Pianoteq 4; there are also other Bill Evans-like files available in FXP Corner.

Last edited by tfort (15-04-2022 19:16)

i'm a jazz pianist and i use Pianoteq when there's not a real piano available.  i run it on a cheap Dell Latitude (under Linux) with a Native Instruments Komplete Audio 6 USB interface and with an ancient Yamaha KX88.    i would get PTQ Standard, because inevitably you will want to tweak things.  the Steinway B and Steinway D models are going to be the closest to what you want, imo. 

the weakest link in the chain is not going to be Pianoteq or the preset you pick.  instead it's going to be the speakers you use.  i have a Yamaha Stagepass PA that works very well, but it's not cheap and i don't use it at every gig.  i also have a Roland keyboard amp for convenience that doesn't really sound that great, but typically when i use it i just ignore the substandard quality.

Last edited by budo (15-04-2022 21:01)

This: 

budo wrote:

the weakest link in the chain is not going to be Pianoteq or the preset you pick.  instead it's going to be the speakers you use.

I have experimented with a bunch and always go back to decent PA speakers, such as QSC k8 -- small, clean, powerful

Bcarwell wrote:

Best,

Bob

Many thanks to all for your helpful suggestions.
   Fortunately I already have adequate speakers and amp (and no I am not busking off battery).
   I have been able to get a workable non PTQ solution so far with an iPad, iRig Pro, Roland 88 key, and with Ravenscroft 278 running on the iPad.
   But I still want to try out the modeling pianos.  So I will be looking for an old Dell Latitude per your suggestion.  When I find a decent used PC I think I will, per your suggestions, start with the Standard, and then try out the Steinway B and D's.

Bob

Sorry if my suggestion is a little late but I do use Pianoteq on jazz gigs.
I have to recommend a MacBook over a Windows machine. I'm using, still, a 2012 i5 and it is a blast. Plenty of power for Pianoteq standalone which runs flawlessly while Logic X is playing bass and drum tracks. Should work the same with GarageBand. This way, when you are changing accompaniment, the piano is still live.

The set up is still fast enough to add a couple or 3 AudioModeling tracks (I'm using the bass almost exclusively for jazz tracks) and plenty of sampled tracks using EXS24 or fewer with Kontakt libraries.

Good luck.

Last edited by MidiOpera (23-04-2022 15:50)
Robert Steinberg
MidiOpera.com

Many thanks Robert.  Haven’t bought anything yet so your helpful response is still timely.  I have always steered clear of Mac$ but now am hearing several reports that the older ones which are more cost effective can fill the bill for what I want.I do use iPHone and iPad, so now may be the time to venture into the Mac world.  Again, many thanks for taking the time, as I may just emulate your exact setup.

Best,

Bob

MidiOpera wrote:

I have to recommend a MacBook over a Windows machine. I'm using, still, a 2012 i5 and it is a blast. Plenty of power for Pianoteq standalone which runs flawlessly while Logic X is playing bass and drum tracks. Should work the same with GarageBand. This way, when you are changing accompaniment, the piano is still live.

The set up is still fast enough to add a couple or 3 AudioModeling tracks (I'm using the bass almost exclusively for jazz tracks) and plenty of sampled tracks using EXS24 or fewer with Kontakt libraries.

Good luck.

Bcarwell wrote:

Many thanks Robert.  Haven’t bought anything yet so your helpful response is still timely.  I have always steered clear of Mac$ but now am hearing several reports that the older ones which are more cost effective can fill the bill for what I want.I do use iPHone and iPad, so now may be the time to venture into the Mac world.  Again, many thanks for taking the time, as I may just emulate your exact setup.

Best,

Bob

MidiOpera wrote:

Good luck.

If you are considering a Mac (great idea!), I would advise to at least get one of the Macs new enough to be running their M1 chips, introduced a year and a half to two years ago. Apple transitioned to their own chip architecture and away from Intel, and even the base MacBook Air or Mac Mini models are quite powerful for music applications, including Pianoteq. Buying an Intel-based Mac at this point would be buying into a  "dead" ecosystem, and M1 MacBook Airs are already found fairly often on sale or via Apple's certified  refurbished program at significant discounts to new.