Re: Kawai VPC1 faulty key weighting

Beto-Music wrote:

PNOscan it's not mass produced, so it's costy. But the optical sensors little piece underneath each key itself, it's not expensive, I think.

By the way, how VPC1 and the 3 contact sensors per key works???
I know that for 2 sensors it use the time difference between the first and second contact to get a vewlocity value, since the higher tehe velocity the lower will be the time difference between each sensor.

But for 3 sensors... Uhhnnn. Is it the arevage of the time difference between the first to the second contact sensor, and between the second to the third contact, used to determine the key velocity?

Key Fumbler wrote:
Beto-Music wrote:

I wonder why Kawai use rubber strip contact sensors, instead of optical sensors like in the PNOscan.

Cost.

PNOscan $1895 just as an add on.
VPC1 is "only" £1100-1200 all in.

Exactly, it's all about the costs involved with mass production.

The optical sensors themselves wouldn't have to be prohibitively expensive compared to the standard switches to make the production much more expensive if the demand isn't there for that level of precision to drive production costs down.
I was tempted to make a DIY VAX keyboard years ago but didn't go that route. Those had polyphonic aftertouch with optical sensors.

Pianoman Chuck explaining double to triple sensors:
https://youtu.be/2rZAPpHCjRo?t=283

Last edited by Key Fumbler (26-11-2020 13:22)

This is a link to the picture of the paint damage mainly on the edge of the piano top:

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/ki4pq294qjk8...ZLHOa?dl=0

Question: does anyone have experience with repainting. I think is it a special kind of paint, probably an imitation of a lacquer layer, often used on acoustic piano's. But Kawai never answered my question about this. Thank in advance!

Sjoerd

Last edited by bijlevel (26-11-2020 13:32)

bijlevel, yes as long as you keep the keyboard in it's upright playing position (don't turn it upside down when looking how to open it) then the paint and any dust will not affect the action.

If you were to open the VPC1 (not recommended in this situation) you are then likely to remove keys to clean them, which then one has to log all the keys and weights to make sure they go back in the correct order, and no improvement will be gained by doing this.

Nick

A question for who played many Kawai and real grand pianos:

What's the difference, in feeling and touch sense, of play a real concert grand and a Kaway DP with Grand  Feel Action II or III (long pivolt point as in a concert grand) ?

PunBB bbcode test

PunBB bbcode test

PunBB bbcode test

Hey, the last 14 posts were completely OT already and the thread has been long enough ;-)

Peace

Last edited by groovy (26-11-2020 15:29)

MeDorian wrote:

bijlevel, yes as long as you keep the keyboard in it's upright playing position (don't turn it upside down when looking how to open it) then the paint and any dust will not affect the action.

If you were to open the VPC1 (not recommended in this situation) you are then likely to remove keys to clean them, which then one has to log all the keys and weights to make sure they go back in the correct order, and no improvement will be gained by doing this.

Nick

Nick,
Thanks for this sound advice! I will now at least postpone the cleaning action until I do suspect wrong triggering, noisy keys etc.

Last edited by bijlevel (26-11-2020 15:38)

groovy wrote:

Hey, the last 14 posts were completely OT already and the thread has been long enough ;-)

Peace

Sorry if I revived this thread OT, but this forum/thread was the ONLY place where I could find knowledge about the Kawai VPC1 and hopefully answers to my question! But I will (for now ) stop asking questions about the VPC1. Sorry again and peace for you too.

Sjoerd

The paint to my knowledge is Enamel on the VPC1? My keyboard has been re-sprayed although as groovy quite rightly pointed out, this is OT (I read it as 'over the top' OTT might be wrong?). I had too much time on my hands and wanted something other than the standard VPC1.

Regarding Beto-Music pics, I think the Grand Feel III looks much improved over II, and way better than the VPC1. The key length on the VPC1 and the capstan are its downfall (curved top doesn't score highly either).

Roland A 88 Mk II looks promising (having MIDI 2.0) as a future replacement or VPC2 if it should ever be made/released. Just thinking ahead, sorry off thread somewhat.

Nick

EDIT: OT means off topic...had to look that up.

Last edited by MeDorian (26-11-2020 19:37)

You probably just have a malfunctioning sensor board. Cold soldering spot or something similar. Maybe try to push on the connectors, put the sensor boards under a little strain etc. and see if you get different results.

bijlevel wrote:
groovy wrote:

Peace

Sorry if I revived this thread OT, but this forum/thread was the ONLY place where I could find knowledge about the Kawai VPC1 and hopefully answers to my question! But I will (for now ) stop asking questions about the VPC1. Sorry again and peace for you too.

Sjoerd

This is my first post in months because of one particular person on the forum who was not cordial. I used to love visiting the forum but no longer wish to. You never know what sarcastic remarks will he hurled at you.

So, just try to ignore them, if you can. I've not been able to. It's farewell from me. I have a VPC1 as well and appreciate your wanting to find out more about it.

My best to you,
Robert Cooper Rivard

https://isolatedpianist.hearnow.com/

Hi algorhythms. I did think the same at the time. Usually all good on this forum though, good you're back and hopefully doing good on the VPC 1. My VPC 1 is around 8 years old now, did some mods but haven't changed it for years, all the best.

Nick

The octave-wise dislocation could also be due to a bad positioning of the rubber contacts. There are quite a few screws that fix the sensor boards and make sure that the rubber contacts are pressed tightly down against the hammers. One could check if those screws are sitting tight and if they are all there at all.

But, no, digital pianos don't require maintenance or regulation. Lol.

I wish Bechstein would release a grand piano keyboard with open-source electronics for DIY people where piano regulators/service technicians could actually start to come in and service those too, ie. establish some sort of advanced standard for digital pianos where you can keep your high quality mechanics forever because you can maintain it and the electronics without vendor support.... can we contact the EU about this? Who would that contact even be? Because the way digital pianos are constructed nowadays reminds me of planned obsolescence. It doesn't even have to be a law. Just a sticker or something that informs the customer about how dependent he will be on the will of the manufacturer for keeping his stuff in good condition.

Last edited by Gruust (06-11-2021 10:05)

Hi,

for comparison it could be interesting, how the velocity of a cheap weighted hammer action of a Korg B2 fluctuates with a 140 g weight. I inserted its values of the white keys in the Kawai ES3 diagram from above.

This is the minimum precision I would expect from a Kawai VPC1 without own regulation.

https://i.postimg.cc/ZqYqFFMc/Korg-B2-velocity-with-140g-white-keys.png

https://i.postimg.cc/pTGRBwFV/keyboard-velocity-with-140g-weight.jpg

Tools: Smoothy bottle, coins, glued cork, Pianoteq's MIDI recorder.
Each value just one shot (no averaging).

This has nothing to do with the topic, but its the only vpc1 i found and i didnt want to create a new thread for it. I lost my Power supply, does anyone has a Photo or can tell me which one of kawais (maybe the ps154?) fits for the vpc1. I know i can play it via USB power, but my USB Ports are limited

Piano85 wrote:

This has nothing to do with the topic, but its the only vpc1 i found and i didnt want to create a new thread for it. I lost my Power supply, does anyone has a Photo or can tell me which one of kawais (maybe the ps154?) fits for the vpc1. I know i can play it via USB power, but my USB Ports are limited

The Casio power supply (high quality one) fits perfectly the VPC1. I used it for a while before I gave my VPC1 away. I'll send a link shortly.

Here's the link to the model that fits the VPC1 https://www.musicroom.com/casio-ada1215...D4QAvD_BwE
Warmest regards,

Chris

Last edited by sigasa (22-12-2021 22:55)

I know this is an old thread, but could someone please tell me the current state of the current run of VPC-1 and what the verdict is on it?

Have the quality control and other issues been resolved?

I'm looking at either getting the VPC-1, ES520 or ES920 from Kawai, or Yamaha P515 or Roland FP-60X or FP-90X.  MP11SE was highly regarded as best all-arounder and arguably most closely resembling an acoustic piano action, plus longer key length and great build quality, but at $2800, it's venturing close to entry pricing for a standup acoustic piano.  So I'm thinking I should look at $1800 and below for a digital piano and save for one day having an acoustic piano.  From what i understand, there are some nuances that can be achieved on a real acoustic piano that may not be possible on modern day digital pianos, even though they've come a long way.

I hear great things about Yamaha P515, and they have a solid reputation for consistency and quality control.  I hear mixed reports about the same for Kawai and Roland.

VPC-1 and P515 are kind of old now.. as is MP11SE... Roland FP-90X is enticing because it seems to be the most recently released and therefore has the latest support and features.

I'm looking for something that's the closest to the action/feel of a real acoustic piano, with consistent quality control and reliability for years to come.

Willing to go with a controller instead if the price is right, but also hear some people say the hassle of a controller + computer + VST setup can interfere with being able to play out ideas quickly, which can impact creativity.  I don't know how big a deal or a hassle it really is, and whether that can be mitigated by having a computer and VST setup ready to go and always on?

Thanks in advance for your inputs!

sigasa wrote:
Piano85 wrote:

The Casio power supply (high quality one) fits perfectly the VPC1. I used it for a while before I gave my VPC1 away. I'll send a link shortly.

Here's the link to the model that fits the VPC1 https://www.musicroom.com/casio-ada1215...D4QAvD_BwE
Warmest regards,

Chris

P.s. The voltages are a match too

Hope this helps

ethanhallbeyer wrote:

I know this is an old thread, but could someone please tell me the current state of the current run of VPC-1 and what the verdict is on it?

Have the quality control and other issues been resolved?

I'm looking at either getting the VPC-1, ES520 or ES920 from Kawai, or Yamaha P515 or Roland FP-60X or FP-90X.  MP11SE was highly regarded as best all-arounder and arguably most closely resembling an acoustic piano action, plus longer key length and great build quality, but at $2800, it's venturing close to entry pricing for a standup acoustic piano.  So I'm thinking I should look at $1800 and below for a digital piano and save for one day having an acoustic piano.  From what i understand, there are some nuances that can be achieved on a real acoustic piano that may not be possible on modern day digital pianos, even though they've come a long way.

I hear great things about Yamaha P515, and they have a solid reputation for consistency and quality control.  I hear mixed reports about the same for Kawai and Roland.

VPC-1 and P515 are kind of old now.. as is MP11SE... Roland FP-90X is enticing because it seems to be the most recently released and therefore has the latest support and features.

I'm looking for something that's the closest to the action/feel of a real acoustic piano, with consistent quality control and reliability for years to come.

Willing to go with a controller instead if the price is right, but also hear some people say the hassle of a controller + computer + VST setup can interfere with being able to play out ideas quickly, which can impact creativity.  I don't know how big a deal or a hassle it really is, and whether that can be mitigated by having a computer and VST setup ready to go and always on?

Thanks in advance for your inputs!

I have the Yamaha P515 (White). I love the build quality, probably one of the best, if not the best builds out there. However, it was not designed to be a controller so the response from Pianoteq is not optimised. I continue to work on the velocity curve.

Warmest regards,

Chris

ethanhallbeyer wrote:

If you want "reliability for years to come" look at gear that is made for and loved by touring musicians. That stuff has to be rugged and dependable.

I have a Roland RD-300GX: a thirteen-and-a-half-year-old stage piano. I got Pianoteq a few years ago, and since then I use the keyboard only as a MIDI controller. However, my setup is that I have a large desk with computer keyboard in front, piano keyboard behind that and monitor behind that. Since I spend a lot of time at my computer — a Windows 10 desktop that's always on — this puts it right at hand whenever I feel like playing. Pianoteq standalone is pinned to my task bar and my headphones are plugged in and right beside me.

Your setup might be very different. If you have to fire up a laptop and connect it to your keyboard and audio interface every time you want to play for a few minutes, you might not be so happy.

As for closest to a real acoustic piano... personally — and just my opinion — I think consistency in the keyboard (note to note and day to day) is more important than absolute authenticity, unless you will be switching back and forth between your personal piano for rehearsal and an acoustic piano for performance. You will adapt to whatever you play (within reason... some equipment just sucks). If you will be performing on an acoustic piano, though, you should probably plan to get an acoustic for yourself as soon as it is practical.

I too was surprised by a lack of calibration of the NoteON MIDI velocity. In particular there are two octaves that sound much louder and I had to use a velocity offset of up to -20 with the VPC1 Editor (= obviously by doing this I lose the dynamics upwards and this is not a definitive solution if you want to play also strong).

I have carefully read the various types of problems or user customizations. Currently the 1.05 firmware allows you to do many interesting things (for example the two sensor mode is very useful if you want to have a better sense of keyboard connection until you reach the bottom of the key) but the velocity compensation should be done better than a simple offset that decreases the dynamics. In practice you need to be able to adjust the time interval (ms) between the sensors and the debounce threshold, maybe they will do it with the next firmware. By doing so, the dynamics (0-127) would remain intact.

After reading the excellent "VPC1 Keyboard Scanning Prepared by Jack O'Flaherty January 31, 2014 "I have the possibility to build a MIDI encoder with the following electronic board
https://www.olimex.com/Products/OLinuXi...e-hardware
With all those contacts I was already using it for the diode arrays of three organ keyboards (two sensors) and a pedal board. It wouldn't be a problem to reuse it for a single piano keyboard with three contacts.

In relation to my experience with VPC1 I already have some ideas to implement:

1) set the time interval between two adjacent sensors for the minimum and maximum velocity possible (key by key and NoteON/NoteOFF)

2) set anti bounce threshold (NoteON/NoteOFF)

3) set the scanning frequency of diode arrays (currently set at 11 kHz as mentioned by the document)

4) 7bit / 14bit (CC # 88 hi-res midi) mode

x) what you want

When I find a used or out of warranty keyboard then I will start the work, we hope it will help to a greater customization for the end user...The keyboard is very elegant and with a good feeling, in my opinion it deserves more than what Kawai offers today.

Hello to all,
This post is based on the principle of a regularity of the keyboard for a given weight of support (140g in this case). In a post https://forum.modartt.com/viewtopic.php?id=9165 I had measured the regularity of my fp-10 for a fixed velocity of typing without taking into account the weight of support.
It seems to me that when you play the piano you vary the velocity of the fingers, not the weight. Hitting hard is really hitting fast. It is clear that a key that is too hard will resist more and slow down the velocity but it does not seem to me that this is the best criterion.
Could a VPC1 owner make a velocity based regularity measurement? To do this I used a keyboard width ruler to press all the keys (white) at the same speed then I read the resulting velocity values in pianoteq.

Translated with www.DeepL.com/Translator (free version)

Bonjour à tous,
Ce post part du principe d'une régularité du clavier pour un poids d'appui donné ( 140g en l'occurence). Dans un post https://forum.modartt.com/viewtopic.php?id=9165 j'avais mesuré la régularité de mon fp-10 pour une velocité de frappe fixe sans tenir compte du poids d'appui.
Il me semble que lorsque l'on joue du piano on fait varier la velocité des doigts, pas le poids. Frapper fort est en réalité frapper vite. Il est clair qu'une touche trop dure va résister plus et ralentir la vélocité mais il ne me semble pas que ce soit le meilleur critère.
Un possesseur de VPC1 pourrait-il faire une mesure de régularité basée sur la velocité ? Pour ce faire j'avais utilisé une règle de la largeur du clavier pour enfoncer toutes les touches blanches à la même vitesse puis je lis les valeurs de velocité résultante dans pianoteq.

Hi cauldron, -20 is a huge amount to offset, the keyboard must be in a bad way. This would be like moving the condition slider in Pianoteq to full worn, similar anyway. Good luck there, I'm sure you'll sort it.

Nick

Edit; Not quite as bad as I thought, on my keyboard, if I play note-on value of 80, a -20 offset will be around 50 note-on value (approx). This is just as I say a rough test.

Last edited by MeDorian (06-07-2022 15:29)

Just a thought cauldron, if you are using Pianoteq and the VPC1, look to see if any freeze parameters in Pianoteq are checked (ticked), if so, then uncheck these, then change preset. Try then to see if the volume is as it should be.

Nick

RUBBER CONTACT STRIPS ARE THE PROBLEM
Hi everyone.
I have Kawai CA-78 piano which should have the same contact boards and contact rubbers as VPC-1.
There is a problem in the rubber contact height, I think. It seems Kawai is not able to produce them exactly the same.
Why do I think so? Because swapping rubber contacts helped to alleviate my problem. :-)
In picture 1 you can see my midi output when I bought the piano.
In picture 2 you can see my midi output after I swapped the rubber contacts according to their MIDI value for the same weight of 380 g.
Originaly, notes A1-G#2 were a bit louder and notes A3-E4 were significantly louder (picture 1).

The rubber contacts come in one-octave strip (12 notes) and can be easily divided into 4-note segments. However (!!!) Left(L), Middle(M) and Right(R) segments can not be interchanged!!! The spikes on the rubber and holes in the board are slightly different for L M and R segments, so "L-rubber" must go to "L-holes", M to M and R to R. Otherwise you will get some notes extremely loud while others dampened (tested).

I marked each rubber segment with a number from 1 to 22 and measured its MIDI value in one spot of the keyboard (A1-G#2) with the same 380 g weight.
Then I aligned them according to their increasing MIDI value.

Original sequence of rubber segments was 1-2-3-4-5-6-7-8-9-10-11-12-13-14-15-16-17-18-19-20-21-22.
New sequence is 19-20-21-13-14-15-1-2-3-7-8-9-22-17-12-16-5-18-4-11-6-10.

BEFORE, the biggest MIDI difference between adjacent notes was 17, it is 7 AFTER. As it is in the higher note range, I am not able to percieve the difference anymore.

It seems that notes in one strip tend to be around the same MIDI value and the difference is only between whole 12-note strips.
But because there are two contact boards, each 44 notes (44 is not divisible by 12), it gets a bit messy.
On the left board, there is a 8-note strip (L,M) at the end (in the middle of keyboard) - segments nr. 10 and 11.
On the right board, there is segment nr. 11 (R) at the begining (in the middle of keyboard) and segment nr. 22 (L) at the end of the right board.
In my case, segments 10, 11, 12 probably do not come from the same octave strip (10 and 11 are much louder).

Picture 3 shows final result after I obtained spare rubber contacts from Kawai technician (after 1,5 years!), measured them and assorted by "sensitivity" (MIDI value with 380 g weight).

https://tinypic.host/images/2022/07/11/_before.jpg
https://tinypic.host/images/2022/07/11/_after.jpg
https://tinypic.host/images/2022/07/11/_after2.jpg

Last edited by ribol (12-07-2022 09:11)

Hi ribol, I can confirm that the technician will replace my rubber contact strip (including a contacts cleaning) and the electronics. Currently I have two octaves that sound louder (A4...A5 and especially A2...A3). Here is what happens now measured with a calibrated weight of 150g and with a factory reset (= no MIDI offset and normal red curve).
I also have other non problematic MIDI keyboards, I will try to make some comparative measurements to relate them.
PunBB bbcode test

cauldron wrote:

Hi ribol, I can confirm that the technician will replace my rubber contact strip (including a contacts cleaning) and the electronics. Currently I have two octaves that sound louder (A4...A5 and especially A2...A3). Here is what happens now measured with a calibrated weight of 150g and with a factory reset (= no MIDI offset and normal red curve).
I also have other non problematic MIDI keyboards, I will try to make some comparative measurements to relate them.
PunBB bbcode test

Just be aware that there are no "faulty" rubber strips. Rather, there is variability among them. I got 8 new strips from the technician and they also ranged from 63 to 74 MIDI output in the same position with the same 380 g weight (63, 64, 66, 69, 70, 74, 74, 74 to be more specific). So I jsut measured everything I had, assorted it and now I have two complete sets of rubber strips plus two unused 4-note segments. First set ranges from 59 to 66 MIDI value ("quieter", in use, picture 3), second 68-75 (I just keep it as a spare one in my drawer). And I use the louder strips for higher notes, as the hammers are lighter and supposed to be more responsive anyway.
As I say, it seems Kawai is not able to manufacture the rubber strips exactly the same and this is the best I could get.

PS: If there is high variability within one rubber strip, it can be due to glue on the sliptape at the end of the key that got into touch with the bolt on the hammer. Cleaning with rubbing alcohol helps, I would not recommend any lubricant. I am going to replace this  Achilles heel with furniture anti-scratch felt soon. :-)

Last edited by ribol (12-07-2022 17:01)

ribol wrote:
cauldron wrote:

PunBB bbcode test

Just be aware that there are no "faulty" rubber strips. Rather, there is a variability among them. I got 8 new strips from the technician and they also ranged from 63 to 74 MIDI output in the same position with the same 380 g weight (63, 64, 66, 69, 70, 74, 74, 74 to be more specific). So I jsut measured everything I had, assorted it and now I have two complete sets of rubber strips plus two unused 4-note segments. First set ranges from 59 to 66 MIDI value ("quieter", in use, picture 3), second 68-75 (I just keep it as a spare one in my drawer). And I use the louder strips for higher notes, as the hammers are lighter and supposed to be more responsive anyway.
As I say, it seems Kawai is not able to manufacture the rubber strips exactly the same and this is the best I could get.

PS: If there is high variability within one rubber strip, it can be due to glue on the sliptape at the end of the key that got into touch with the bolt on the hammer. Cleaning with rubbing alcohol helps, I would not recommend any lubricant. I am going to replace this  Achilles heel with furniture anti-scratch felt soon. :-)

I understood and it is precisely for this reason that a new MIDI encoder (with Olimex A20-OLinuXino-MICRO hardware board) to be connected directly to the 22x12 diode matrix (= 264 contacts) can compensate for this problem, not with the MIDI offsets but with the adjustments of the min/max time intervals (ms) between two consecutive sensors and key by key.
How can I say: recalibrate the keyboard via software (with a new MIDI encoder) and adapt it better to your needs.
For example I am more comfortable with the two sensor mode (probably the firmware uses sensor 1 and 3 neglecting the 2, this is just a conjecture). The time intervals of sensors 1-2 and 2-3 could be related to obtain a velocity value that is somehow closer to acceleration, etc ...

cauldron wrote:

I understood and it is precisely for this reason that a new MIDI encoder (with Olimex A20-OLinuXino-MICRO hardware board) to be connected directly to the 22x12 diode matrix (= 264 contacts) can compensate for this problem, not with the MIDI offsets but with the adjustments of the min/max time intervals (ms) between two consecutive sensors and key by key.
How can I say: recalibrate the keyboard via software (with a new MIDI encoder) and adapt it better to your needs.
For example I am more comfortable with the two sensor mode (probably the firmware uses sensor 1 and 3 neglecting the 2, this is just a conjecture). The time intervals of sensors 1-2 and 2-3 could be related to obtain a velocity value that is somehow closer to acceleration, etc ...

Sorting the rubber strips according to their increasing "sensitivity" and then rearanging them seems faster and easier IMHO, but I also understand your temptation to do a bit of your own electronic circuitry. :-) Good luck!

Thanks for sharing all those new results, very interesting!
If rubber contacts remain the future of Digital Pianos, we definitely need better calibration by the manufacturers.
DIY should be just a workaround.

Because cheap mechanisms are always error prone, I would like to see universal software solutions. Calibration of the MIDI scanning mentioned by cauldron ("Olimex") is the most appealing to me (I have to feed my search engine...).

An intermediate solution could be a MIDI-calibrator between the MIDI keyboard and Pianoteq's global velocity curve. Each MIDI note is calibrated with an individual velocity curve. A linear function of the form y=m*x+b should be good enough. An sufficient approximation could be achieved by two velocity points per key. Do you remember the experiment of pressing all keys at the same time with a wooden bar/shelf? Pressing all keys at the same time with a bar at two different speeds should give two velocities per keys and their deviation from the mean velocity. This has to be corrected->calibrated my the MIDI-calibrator software. Just an idea, have to think about it more thoroughly. -

@ribol Did you really need "380 g" for velocity ~64? Where did you place the weight on the keys?

groovy wrote:

Thanks for sharing all those new results, very interesting!
If rubber contacts remain the future of Digital Pianos, we definitely need better calibration by the manufacturers.
DIY should be just a workaround.

Because cheap mechanisms are always error prone, I would like to see universal software solutions. Calibration of the MIDI scanning mentioned by cauldron ("Olimex") is the most appealing to me (I have to feed my search engine...).

An intermediate solution could be a MIDI-calibrator between the MIDI keyboard and Pianoteq's global velocity curve. Each MIDI note is calibrated with an individual velocity curve. A linear function of the form y=m*x+b should be good enough. An sufficient approximation could be achieved by two velocity points per key. Do you remember the experiment of pressing all keys at the same time with a wooden bar/shelf? Pressing all keys at the same time with a bar at two different speeds should give two velocities per keys and their deviation from the mean velocity. This has to be corrected->calibrated my the MIDI-calibrator software. Just an idea, have to think about it more thoroughly. -

@ribol Did you really need "380 g" for velocity ~64? Where did you place the weight on the keys?

Yes, I used 380 g for all my graphs. It was just the easiest solution for me. I grabbed a small PET bottle, filled it with water and I used rubber eraser in between the bottle and the very end of each key. Kitchen scale showed 380 g for bottle+water+eraser, I am pretty sure. :-)
I measured 3 times each key and then took median value.
My piano, Kawai CA-78, has quite a bit longer (heavier) wooden keys than VPC-1, so that might play a role.

One problem I see with SW calibration is that when one specific key moves more slowly (not lubricated or may be glue on the sliptape), you would feel heavier touch, yet "normal" loudness that does not correspond to the "feel" of the touch.
So you would need constant speed, not constant weight for calibration.

Last edited by ribol (13-07-2022 12:11)

Thank you, 380 g is unexpected to me. The first user-tests in this thread had been with 140 g and were round about velocity 40 (Kawai ES3, Korg B2) and 50 (Kawai VPC-1).

ribol wrote:

Have you followed my Link in the previous post? Pressing all keys at the same time with a bar is a good approximation of "constant speed". No "constant weight" required. But in my proposed scenario it has to be done now at two arbitrary resulting velocities (for example around 64 and around 32) to get two datapoints for the "linear" as-is response of each key.

groovy wrote:

Thank you, 380 g is unexpected to me. The first user-tests in this thread had been with 140 g and were round about velocity 40 (Kawai ES3, Korg B2) and 50 (Kawai VPC-1).

ribol wrote:

Have you followed my Link in the previous post? Pressing all keys at the same time with a bar is a good approximation of "constant speed". No "constant weight" required. But in my proposed scenario it has to be done now at two arbitrary resulting velocities (for example around 64 and around 32) to get two datapoints for the "linear" as-is response of each key.

Yes, I agree, your solution would work. I have noticed it. I am just not sure how feasible it is...
Using some kind of weight is much easier at home.
If you succeed, share your results, please. :-)

Someone from Kawai should read this thread and do something about it, because apart from the unevenness of response, I am happy with realism of their keyboard. And it can be a dealbreaker for many.

From the VPC1 MIDI encoder perspective, only the time interval between adjacent sensors is important to derive the MIDI velocity. A calibrated weight to be applied on the key with the force of gravity is only indicative. In practice it is not always easy to release the weight without accompanying it and the weight of the wooden keyboard is not uniform from A0 to C8 (and VPC1 can use the 2 or 3 sensor mode).

We should have more sophisticated tools such as the VSL piano robot.

As ribol / groovy rightly says, in order to get an idea of the keyboard velocity calibration, it is more effective to evaluate the MIDI velocity values in groups of notes pressed simultaneously, small or large clusters. Repeated measurements, however, allow observations to be made from a statistical point of view. Even small clusters of 2 or 3 adjacent keys could provide comparative velocity information (adjacent keys are assumed to have similar behavior).

Below are 5 measurements of A0-A6 clusters as NoteON and as NoteOFF. It is not obvious to observe that NoteOFF is much more "calibrated" than NoteON. I accidentally noticed it since when I play I only need NoteON. Any interpretation about it? (I'm trying to take measurements with small clusters again)

PunBB bbcode test
PunBB bbcode test

To get an idea of how another Kawai CA-1200 MIDI keyboard (20 years old) works much better:
PunBB bbcode test

Last edited by cauldron (14-07-2022 17:07)

cauldron wrote:

Below are 5 measurements of A0-A6 clusters as NoteON and as NoteOFF. It is not obvious to observe that NoteOFF is much more "calibrated" than NoteON. I accidentally noticed it since when I play I only need NoteON. Any interpretation about it? (I'm trying to take measurements with small clusters again)

As I wrote before... the rubber strip contacts are not manufactured exactly the same. From your measurement for "ON" and "OFF" note it seems that the 3rd contact (the one that sends "ON" signal) differs the most between individual rubber strips. Does it make sense?

ribol wrote:
cauldron wrote:

As I wrote before... the rubber strip contacts are not manufactured exactly the same. From your measurement for "ON" and "OFF" note it seems that the 3rd contact (the one that sends "ON" signal) differs the most between individual rubber strips. Does it make sense?

That may be right, I think you are right. With factory reset VPC1 uses 3 sensors. If we define sensors 1, 2 and 3 as the sequence obtained by pressing a key then in the ON phase (the key is fully raised) only sensors 1 -> 2 are used while in the OFF phase (the key is fully pressed) only sensors 3 -> 2 are used. This could explain the different behavior (this would further confirm that it is not an electronics problem but sensor tolerances as you say and/or contact surfaces that are not very clean, which could create problems for the electronics)

This is a conjecture that could be confirmed by redoing the measurements in the 2-sensor mode: I think they are sensors 1 and 3, perhaps 2 and 3 or 1,2&2,3 aggregation.

I'll post the measurements soon ... Thanks

Nice graphs, cauldron, alas not scaled all the same on the y-axis. As I mentioned earlier, 0 - 127 makes all those nice contributions in the thread more comparable.

MIDI ON and OFF is asymmetric on a 3-sensor system. Movement from 1 to 3 triggers ON and return from 3 to 2 triggers OFF.

Another asymmetry might be, that the key is deforming the rubber bubble constantly from 1 to 3 , but if the key lifts faster on return, than the bubble expands freely from 3 to 2. But never saw a slowmotion of the return, so not sure.

-> KAWAI 3-SENSOR SYSTEM

groovy wrote:

Nice graphs, cauldron, alas not scaled all the same on the y-axis. As I mentioned earlier, 0 - 127 makes all those nice contributions in the thread more comparable.

MIDI ON and OFF is asymmetric on a 3-sensor system. Movement from 1 to 3 triggers ON and return from 3 to 2 triggers OFF.

Another asymmetry might be, that the key is deforming the rubber bubble constantly from 1 to 3 , but if the key lifts faster on return, than the bubble expands freely from 3 to 2. But never saw a slowmotion of the return, so not sure.

-> KAWAI 3-SENSOR SYSTEM

Hi groovy, I have updated the graphs with the same aspect ratio (the Y axis always has an excursion of 50 and the X axis is always the same). I also add the graphs for the 2 sensor mode.

Unlike how things work with mp7se, I'm not sure if the NoteON phase is about sensor 1 and 3 with vpc1. With vpc1 I prefer the 2 sensor mode because I feel that the sound arrives at the end of the key and not at the middle of the key so I think that with 3 sensors the NoteON (and NoteOFF) concerns 1,2 or 2,3 but not 1,3 (which concerns the 2-sensor mode).

Can we deduce any information from these comparative graphs?

PunBB bbcode test
PunBB bbcode test

cauldron wrote:

PunBB bbcode test

https://tinypic.host/images/2022/07/15/myvpc1.jpg
Try swapping rubber contacts (whole octaves, 12 notes together) this way. (From 1-2-3-4-5-6-7 to 4-1-2-7-6-5-3, leave the 4 rightmost notes unchanged).
You should get rid of the "loud" steps and get increasingly sensitive keys going from left to right. :-)
That is what I did (picture nr. 2 in my fist post) and it worked pretty fine.

Last edited by ribol (15-07-2022 12:03)

Thank you for the efforts of rescaling your graphs, cauldron!

cauldron wrote:

With vpc1 I prefer the 2 sensor mode because I feel that the sound arrives at the end of the key and not at the middle of the key [...]

... hmm, that makes no sense to me. The 3rd sensor is always the last triggered in the key movement, the sound cannot be triggered earlier with sensor 3, than with 1 or 2.

You can verify your "feel" by observing the trigger points with a ruler and Pianoteq's midi event monitor (or acoustically). Example of my worn 2-sensor-system Kawai ES3 from an older thread:

------------------------------
0 mm (0 %)

5 mm (42 %) note-off

9 mm (75 %) note-on

12 mm (100 %) full key depress
------------------------------

http://fs5.directupload.net/images/160804/x4ymwlq4.jpg

PS: Any news on "Would be interesting, whether these octaves match with a single rubber strip or one of those 12-pin balance rails I have seen once in a Kawai CA95"?

Thanks to ribol for the patience and the advice with the images that can be an example for other people (unfortunately I cannot open the keyboard still under warranty, next week I will be able to do it in the authorized service center). When you get the chance I would like to ask if it is possible to see internally the circuit to understand how to connect to the diodes on the side of the three 74HC138 chips (U1-U3) that come out with 22 lines (T0-T21). I hope they can be in DIP packaging so that I can take them out with pliers to apply my contacts. (When I am ready I would like to distribute a public version fully usable for experimentation (the Olimex board indicated is very performing and the USB OTG interface is able to pass up to 40 MIDI events every millisecond on the gadget_midi linux interface!)).

groovy wrote:

Thank you for the efforts of rescaling your graphs, cauldron!

cauldron wrote:

With vpc1 I prefer the 2 sensor mode because I feel that the sound arrives at the end of the key and not at the middle of the key [...]

... hmm, that makes no sense to me. The 3rd sensor is always the last triggered in the key movement, the sound cannot be triggered earlier with sensor 3, than with 1 or 2.

You can verify your "feel" by observing the trigger points with a ruler and Pianoteq's midi event monitor (or acoustically).

You are right, I have studied the behavior of the VPC1 key without sound, only with a MIDI event monitor.
Practically both in 2 or 3 sensor modes and with the button completely raised, the NoteON occurs only at the end of the button stroke, so to speak when you hear the double escapement and from there you continue to the end (we are therefore talking about sensors 2 and 3, sensor 1 appears not to be used).
It is also interesting to note that it is possible to press the button again while remaining at the bottom of the double escapement (sensors 2 and 3). Many successive NoteON are created (without an immediate NoteOFF). Finally, when the key is raised beyond the double escapement (up to sensor 1) then all the NoteOFF appear with the velocity of the last measurement. Here is an example of MIDI events in time sequence with various repetitions on the double escapement:

note number, velocity, MIDI event
60 23 Notes ON
60 34 Notes ON
60 42 Notes ON
60 53 Notes ON
60 12 Notes ON
60 88 Notes OFF
60 88 Notes OFF
60 88 Notes OFF
60 88 Notes OFF
60 88 Notes OFF

[This also explains some observations I had noticed when playing an A0-A6 cluster and seeing some notes repeated with very low velocity (= this is a small bounce).]

What I can understand from these tests is that there are 2 sensors (2 and 3) after the double escapement and one (sensor 1) before the double escapement. Below are the images that indicate a stroke of about 5mm from sensor 1 to sensor 3. Basically I understand that NoteON means sensors 2->3 while NoteOFF sensors 2->1.

Sensor 1
PunBB bbcode test
Sensor 2
PunBB bbcode test
Sensor 3
PunBB bbcode test

Have you seen the linked Kawai page above?

I guess it is all condensed in that two pictures:

KAWAI 3-SENSOR SYSTEM:
http://www.kawaimp.com/mp7se/images/detail/touch/img_ph_04.jpg

CONVENTIONAL 2-SENSOR SYSTEM:
http://www.kawaimp.com/mp7se/images/detail/touch/img_ph_11.jpg

Although the Kawai site ist related to MP7SE with RHIII action the same principle seems to be implemented in the VPC1 with RM3 Grand II action. I can't see that you found another indication.

For me the introducing of "double escapement" is a bit confusing, because it comes from acoustic pianos and a VPC1 is designed completely different.

cauldron wrote:

Basically I understand that NoteON means sensors 2->3 while NoteOFF sensors 2->1.

To assure that 2->3 is always used to derive the NoteON velocity on a VPC1 (and not only for repeated notes), you could halt the movement at 6 mm key-down for a few seconds and then fully depress.

On your fotos it looks like 2 mm key-dip between 2->3 (8mm->10mm) is used for velocity on a VPC1 in 3-sensor-mode. For comparison on my old Kawai 2-sensor-system it is 4 mm (5mm->9mm).

cauldron wrote:

After reading the excellent "VPC1 Keyboard Scanning Prepared by Jack O'Flaherty January 31, 2014 "I have the possibility to build a MIDI encoder with the following electronic board
https://www.olimex.com/Products/OLinuXi...e-hardware
With all those contacts I was already using it for the diode arrays of three organ keyboards (two sensors) and a pedal board. It wouldn't be a problem to reuse it for a single piano keyboard with three contacts.

Consider https://github.com/jkominek/piano-conversion instead and see the large discussions about it on PC, e.g. at https://pianoclack.com/forum/d/276-buil...lectronics or https://pianoclack.com/forum/t/technician

Best of luck!

ribol wrote:

I can share just the idea at the moment and a first draft. I took the raw data that I had since the old thread PHA-4 Keyboard (FP-10), keyboard regularity. You remember, I pressed all white keys of my Korg B2 at the same time with a wooden bar, higher speed results in the blue curve, lower speed in the red. The mean values are the blue and red horizontal lines. The approach is to find a function that corrects the deviation from the mean value. For the blue and red dots it is trivial - just substract the difference and you're done. For all other MIDI velocities, the deviation is unknown. To approximate those values, I took a blue and red datapoint per note and build a linear function from these two points. This linear function can be considered as very simple individual "velocity curve" per MIDI note.

The correction or calibration function that I developed for each white MIDI note is:

https://i.postimg.cc/NF4vCcz1/MIDI-calibration-formula-1.png

To test if it works more or less, I recorded the green values at a medium speed yesterday and fed those values into the variable Vin of the formula. These calculations were done in LibreOffice (a spreadsheet) and the resulting velocities Vout are the purple dots:

https://i.postimg.cc/nhXNBBpK/B2-all-white-keys-1-three-speeds.png
https://i.postimg.cc/xdH7FQkc/B2-all-white-keys-1-medium-speed-calibrated-input-green-datapoints.png

Not, that the B2 needs calibration. It was just my available test-dummy for a proof-of-concept. Because the purple calibration looks promising after this first snapshot, it could make sense to put the formula in a small MIDI software. My software skills are very limited, eventually I could do it in Perl, because I know it has working MIDI-libraries. If I remember correctly, Pianoteq does MIDI processing with something called JUICE or so.

A MIDI capable Microcontroller like teensyduino could be another (but external) solution. What would be better performing? Calculating the upper formula for each incoming velocity on the fly or calculating all calibration values once and put them in a large conversion table? With 52 white keys and 127 calibration pairs this table would have 52 x 127 =  6604 elements, I guess. Is reading a static array faster than calculating the formula?

Last edited by groovy (02-08-2022 10:04)

groovy wrote:
ribol wrote:

Not, that the B2 needs calibration. It was just my available test-dummy for a proof-of-concept. Because the purple calibration looks promising after this first snapshot, it could make sense to put the formula in a small MIDI software. My software skills are very limited, eventually I could do it in Perl, because I know it has working MIDI-libraries. If I remember correctly, Pianoteq does MIDI processing with something called JUICE or so.

A MIDI capable Microcontroller like teensyduino could be another (but external) solution. What would be better performing? Calculating the upper formula for each incoming velocity on the fly or calculating all calibration values once and put them in a large conversion table? With 52 white keys and 127 calibration pairs this table would have 52 x 127 =  6604 elements, I guess. Is reading a static array faster than calculating the formula?

You can process MIDI events after the MIDI keyboard with a professional product available both as software and as hardware:
https://www.bome.com/products/miditranslator
https://www.bome.com/products/bomebox

You can process MIDI events after the MIDI keyboard within a DAW (Digital Audio Workstation): Reaper, Ableton, Pro Tools, Reason, ...
Obviously you have to use the VST / AU / AAX interfaces inside the DAW so Pianoteq will be initialized as a VST instrument component inside the DAW.
Each DAW can have its own pseudo-language for MIDI/Audio processing, the important thing is zero latency real time processing!

Personally I can tell you that I have successfully used the Ardour open source DAW writing some real time Lua scripts but in your case it is much easier to use the Bome products for simulations/production.

Ideally, these calibration operations should be done inside the MIDI keyboard, at the encoder level, as already indicated with the Olimex board. This does not degrade the MIDI resolution (7-bit). In practice, for small adjustments it might be fine to do it as indicated.

My MIDI encoder for Kawai VPC1 will be ready soon but this applies to all keyboards as there is always a diode matrix (22x8 or 22x12)!
The replacement of the strips with a more recent model (compared to those of the VPC1) together with the electronics have led to an accuracy improvement but I must take note that Kawai is not able to guarantee uniform behavior (now I have the first octave A0-A1 sounds much quieter than A1-A4 and A4-C8 sounds slightly louder than A1-A4, almost tolerable).

Try experimenting with your formulas, if you see that they work I can implement them in my encoder if you are interested in trying it.

Last edited by cauldron (02-08-2022 14:59)

Thank you, those bome products look powerful and can do many things. But can they do the one thing, that ist needed in my draft scenario? Reading from a big table/array with 6000 entries?

The "black box" software for calibration would be modest:

1) Read the MIDI out from the keyboard (e.g. ALSA)
2) Detect a note-on velocity event
3) Find and read the replacement velocity in the large, prepared table/map/array
4) Write the replacement note-on velocity to a MIDI-port, that Pianoteq can use (e.g. ALSA/JACK)

These simple tasks have to be done continuously by the software while playing. Fire & forget.

A person has just the task to fill the table in an initial act with the values of the blue and red curve.

These initial values are used to calculate the other static values in the array with the shown formula. Also once-only.

Last edited by groovy (02-08-2022 18:28)

groovy wrote:

Thank you, those bome products look powerful and can do many things. But can they do the one thing, that ist needed in my draft scenario? Reading from a big table/array with 6000 entries?

The "black box" software for calibration would be modest:

1) Read the MIDI out from the keyboard (e.g. ALSA)
2) Detect a note-on velocity event
3) Find and read the replacement velocity in the large, prepared table/map/array
4) Write the replacement note-on velocity to a MIDI-port, that Pianoteq can use (e.g. ALSA/JACK)

These simple tasks have to be done continuously by the software while playing. Fire & forget.

A person has just the task to fill the table in an initial act with the values of the blue and red curve.

These initial values are used to calculate the other static values in the array with the shown formula. Also once-only.

Bome Midi Translator uses basic math. You should calculate the square root with Heron's method and use Windows or MacOS, linux is not supported. With linux if you feel comfortable with Perl I would use it in the simulation phase, to see that everything works according to your expectations (your formula is complicated for me).

For the production phase if you have to focus on linux I think you won't have better choices than Ardour DAW. Through Lua DSP Scripts [Audio/MIDI processor - plugins with access to the Ardor session (per track/bus, real-time)] you can instantiate a processor that works synchronously and without delay with the audio/midi stream, ALSA or Jack Audio.

Last edited by cauldron (03-08-2022 14:54)

An initial table has to be filled with 2x52=104 values anyway (the blue and red dots). The formula is using this static values (read access). I guess it would be better to abandon the on-the-fly math and just fill the initial "already there" table once with all 6000 calculated values before the main program runs (MIDI-port listen->exchange the velocity by reading the table->write to MIDI-Port).

I don't see, that any of your mentioned softwares can do that. On the other hand I am not skilled enough to program this simple task in Perl, I fear. I read a few lines about python together with rtmidi, a good chance to learn ;-).
If I see no land, there is always nodered on the horizon, for prototyping always a swiss-army-knife.

Maybe some programmer reads this thread in far future and takes over ...

PS: Thank you for mention "simulation phase" of Perl, cauldron, didn't know that.
PPS: Late Ahh, now I understand, what you meant with "square root". That is just the letter V with a line above, the convention for mean or average value

Last edited by groovy (03-08-2022 16:40)

For MIDI event processing there are many Lua DSP scripts in Ardour DAW (inside ./share/scripts/) that can help you understand how the Lua language works within Ardour.
https://www.lua.org/about.html
https://manual.ardour.org/lua-scripting/

These examples can serve as a prototype for your MIDI processing: midimon.lua , midi_remap.lua , _midifilter.lua , ...
This is a very powerful and multi-platform solution that depends only on the Ardour DAW.

ardour {
    ["type"]    = "dsp",
    name        = "Midi Filter",
    category    = "Example", -- "Utility"
    license     = "MIT",
    author      = "Ardour Team",
    description = [[An Example Midi Filter for prototyping.]]
}

function dsp_ioconfig ()
    return { { midi_in = 1, midi_out = 1, audio_in = 0, audio_out = 0}, }
end

function dsp_run (_, _, n_samples)
    assert (type(midiin) == "table")
    assert (type(midiout) == "table")
    local cnt = 1;

function tx_midi (time, data)
        midiout[cnt] = {}
        midiout[cnt]["time"] = time;
        midiout[cnt]["data"] = data;
        cnt = cnt + 1;
    end

-- for each incoming midi event
    for _,b in pairs (midiin) do
        local t = b["time"] -- t = [ 1 .. n_samples ]
        local d = b["data"] -- get midi-event
        local event_type
        if #d == 0 then event_type = -1 else event_type = d[1] >> 4 end

if (#d == 3 and event_type == 9) then -- note on
            tx_midi (t, d)
        elseif (#d == 3 and event_type == 8) then -- note off
            tx_midi (t, d)
        end
    end
end

Pictures disappeared, reloaded:
Before:
https://i.postimg.cc/LnBb23RL/before.jpg
After:
https://i.postimg.cc/crNbpbqd/after.jpg
After2:
https://i.postimg.cc/qNJZR6MY/after2.jpg
Swapping rubber contacts for CAULDRON:
https://i.postimg.cc/G4Xgs34p/myvpc1.jpg

Last edited by ribol (07-08-2022 08:36)

Some good news from the software side too:
Programming tool now has been Node-RED on a small notebook, see the "Flow" diagram attached.

With LibreOffice Calc I made a velocity-map for all white keys with the formula and exported the sheet in universal CSV format (comma-separated values).

Nodered starts with importing this map, makes an array object of it and writes it to a context variable permanently stored in the memory.

The nodered project has Midi "Nodes" in the packet node-red-contrib-midi. My notebook attached MIDI-interface is recognized (Edirol UM-1SX) and connected to a very small 49-key-board via 5-pin-MIDI.

The lower half of the flow diagram is the main program. A MIDI event comes in and is checked being of the type "noteon". That would be enough, if a keyboard regularly sends "noteoff" at key release. But that tiny test-keyboard sends just the slim version "noteon with velocity 0" instead and that event must not be remapped. Therefore the second check in the flow.

The valid noteon event is manipulated then: A lookup for the incoming midi note and velocity is done in the map (in my opinion this is a 2-dimensional array) and the found new velocity replaces the incoming velocity of this note. This changed noteon event is sent to the 5-pin-midi out and is ready to be received by Pianoteq.

The global velocity curve inside Pianoteq has just to be set to 1:1 or in other words y=x, the linear in=out curve.

Node-red-contrib-midi is based on rtmidi and it provides also virtual midi ports with realtime support. Thus it should be possible to run the flow on the same Linux laptop, where I have PTQ installed normally and that is just connected per USB-Midi with my regular keyboard (the Korg B2). It is a shame, that more and more keyboards lack of 5-pin-MIDI.

I know node-red runs performantly on a Raspberry Pi single board computer, so this would be another option for an external calibrator box.

Btw, I had to work around another pitfall. I had no values for the 36 black keys in my array (just the white keys atm), so the noteon velocity was replaced with an empty value. The workaround is, that I expanded the csv with 36 colums containing just 0-127. In other words again: the black velocities are just replaced with the same velocity they came in :-). The 2D-array has 88 x 128 = 11264 values now. I plan to calibrate the black keys in the future too with the wooden-bar-method and to fill the dummy fields with the real calibrated velocities. One additional benefit is, that the black and white keys can be weighted independently by adding an offset for example to the calibrated values.

https://i.postimg.cc/JnB4fQxC/Midi-Key-Calib-Nodered.png

Last edited by groovy (09-08-2022 12:12)