Topic: Question on why organ stop settings do not hold

I am new to Organteq and am really enjoying arranging my many hymn settings for pipe organ.
However, I notice when returning to a session that my Pedal part always returns back to Grand Orgue.
The pedal line is on a separate track. I have tried saving the preset in the track but lo and behold
when returning to the track we are back to Grand Orgue. Am I missing something? Thanks for any help.

Last edited by gtingley (24-10-2021 14:22)

Re: Question on why organ stop settings do not hold

The Grand Orgue manual is the default setting for the Keyboard Mapping preset “One simple keyboard”. Any midi channel associated with a manual will thus return to the Grand Orgue manual, and play on it, when the “One simple keyboard” is chosen.

If you select the “Four keyboards” as the current Keyboard Mapping preset you will notice that each of the manuals is assigned to a different midi channel ie Recit is Channel 4, Grand Orgue is Channel 3, Positif is Channel 2 and Pedale is Channel 1. If you want the Pedal part to play on the Pedale manual then you must assign to the separate track a midi channel value of “1”. I assume that this is what you have already done as you are managing to have the Pedal part play correctly.

When Organteq restarts, the current Keyboard Mapping preset defaults to “One Simple Keyboard”, thus negating your different midi channel settings for each of the separate tracks. The simple work around is to select “Four Keyboards” before you start playing, thus correctly assigning the tracks to their relevant manuals as a consequence of their pre-programmed midi channel numbers.

If it is any consolation, I suffer from this same problem continuously as I always forget to reset the current mapping to “Four Keyboards” and end up with everything on Grand Orgue. This may be the prompt I need to go looking for a more permanent fix to this ongoing frustration. I hope this helps a bit.

Michael

Last edited by mprimrose (24-10-2021 15:33)
Pianoteq 8 Studio plus all Instrument packs; Organteq 2; Debian; Reaper; Carla

gtingley wrote:

I am new to Organteq and am really enjoying arranging my many hymn settings for pipe organ.
However, I notice when returning to a session that my Pedal part always returns back to Grand Orgue.
The pedal line is on a separate track. I have tried saving the preset in the track but lo and behold
when returning to the track we are back to Grand Orgue. Am I missing something? Thanks for any help.

Hello gtingley,

Roman once had a simple solution to this problem but unfortunately I can not find the letter and have myself forgot how to do it. I suggest you write directly to him with the question. Good luck!

Best,

Stig

Your description of the issue/problem is a little imprecise or ambiguous, but in general--

Create your own keyboard mapping by customizing one of Organteq's preset keyboard mappings (I used the "One Keyboard Simple" preset, and inserted two other keyboards to match my MIDI hardware), use the drop-down menu to save it under a different name, and set it as default.

In the MIDI Mapping window, add keyboards (including pedalboard) as needed (use the Insert and Delete buttons to add or remove keyboards (to remove you must select a keyboard first)), assign each keyboard to an Organteq manual name (such as Grand Orgue, Positif, Recit, Pedale) by clicking on the name and selecting one of the choices that appears, then specify which MIDI channel you want that manual to respond to (by clicking on the MIDI channel header and choosing from the drop-down menu choices), and drag the notes to reflect the key range you want to use with each manual, then Save or Save As... and type a custom name of your choice. Then in the main drop-down menu of the MIDI Mappings window, choose "Set as default."

The next time(s) you start Organteq, your custom Keyboard mapping and Action mapping settings will be loaded and take effect automatically.

https://i.imgur.com/mrF5ik7.png

--

Last edited by Stephen_Doonan (25-10-2021 01:33)
--
Linux, Pianoteq Pro, Organteq

Stephen,

To be honest, with all my mucking about with the Keyboard Mapping, I had not given the "Set as Default ...." option a second glance, even though I had manipulated and saved my own versions of mapping presets. Hence my laborious workarounds, which I now realise that I could have resolved with a single mouse click. I had found the relevant value in the Organteg16.prefs XML file, but I was unwilling to experiment with that late at night in case I broke something. This option is much simpler and far more logical as one would expect, however, I simply had not noticed it.

The same applies to assigning the midi channel numbers to the various manuals, as I had not realised that clicking on the Channel number for a manual gave a drop down list of all or any possible midi channel numbers that could be assigned and then saved, and then set as a default, as I now know. I have been busily editing midi files, so that the midi channel numbers for the tracks matched the manual midi channels numbers set in Organteq. which I always got the wrong way round for some reason. Now there is obviously a much simpler way to set things up.

Even after all these years, it's nice to know that an application can still give you a "D'uh!!!" moment, so I thank you for the information. I will now go and click on everything to see what pops down.

Michael

Pianoteq 8 Studio plus all Instrument packs; Organteq 2; Debian; Reaper; Carla

@mprimrose -- Yeah, sometimes it pays to just click around on the interface and see what happens. The Modartt user interfaces, so rich in configurability, are so thoughtfully and efficiently designed, in my opinion impressive and appropriate for such great products.

Last edited by Stephen_Doonan (25-10-2021 15:03)
--
Linux, Pianoteq Pro, Organteq

Thanks all for the various perspectives and different approaches to solving my problem. For my purposes, I now use 4 keyboards as the default with Pedal as Ch. 1,
Positif on Ch. 2, Grand Orgue, on Ch. 3, and Recit on Ch. 4. Within my Logic Pro DAW, I choose the appropriate MIDI channel for individual tracks.

Additionally, I learned this morning that if I want to couple one of the upper manuals with the pedal, I only need to activate Ch. 1, and the upper manual will actually come through on Ch. 1.