Topic: Organteq sound post processing

Hi dear Organteq fans,
I wonder if anyone applies any real-time filter or post processing effects to the sound Organteq produces. Personally, I am happy with the sound as it is, and will sometimes only apply an impulse response to simulate an environment I'd love to play in. However, why not learn something useful from those who seek perfection or feel like experimenting

Re: Organteq sound post processing

Hi, as I came to Organteq from software synthesis, I soon wondered what more I could do with this pipe-themed physical modelling synth, than playing it "as intended".

I have loaded four instances of the Organteq plugin into Reason (as Reason can only send one midi channel to each plugin) and sent the sound from them through a convolution reverb (I used FogConvolver by AudioThing) that could handle the 78.3 seconds long impulse response from the Inchindown oil tanks by Matt Gray. Not so musical maybe, but rather otherworldly. I've also toyed with more useful reverbs, but I tend to return to the church reverb in Organteq.

A bit more down to earth, I am sometimes using Reason to add a fake blower (just suitably low passed white noise at a low level). It adds a nice bit of atmoshpere.

By routing my MIDI keyboards and pedals to Reason and, from there, via four Midi out devices and loopMIDI by Tobias Erichsen, to Organteq, I can not only record into the Reason sequencer (which supports editing) and play Organteq from the Reason sequencer, but also use Reason to add sounds in sync with Organteq, such as using an additive synthesizer (I'm using Vibro from LoveOne Consulting) and some numbers from the web site of Colin Pykett to fake a "32ft open diapason" pedal stop that sounds really dull on its own, but I think it slots in fairly well under the Organteq 16ft stops.

I didn't find an obvious way to include an audio clip of it in this post, but it's not very special either. I'd much prefer a Modartt-modelled 32ft stop or two. If more stops would be too CPU heavy, maybe keep the current ten stops per division limit, but allow them to be chosen, when configuring the organ, from a larger selection than the current 25? Oh well, that's another topic...

I am experimenting with whether to run my "32ft" through a reverb (but it tends to make some notes more resonant than others) or whether I can get away with just using a suitable amplitude envelope to make it blend in with the other pedal stops. For now I'm doing the envelope thing. Currently my "32ft" is mono. If I can find a reasonable way to tell odd and even MIDI notes apart in Reason, it could perhaps become possible to approximate a C/C# separation. If nothing else works, I could maybe make my own additive synth in Reaktor, and load that as a plugin, but that might be CPU heavy.

Edit: C/C# separation separation of my fake "32ft "was fairly easy to achieve, with an extra copy of the synth and two "scales & chords" players as note filters. Not sure it made a big difference, but it was fun to try.

Last edited by Daniel W (31-07-2021 21:30)
Posted from my organ...