Topic: Which organ does this piece sound the most convincing?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1DIVD38-DVY

I decided to create a video comparing three different organs. Two Hauptwerk sample sets and Organteq. Let me know what you think!

Re: Which organ does this piece sound the most convincing?

They all sound nice!

Of the two sampled organs, I like the first one more, because of the registration, nice sound, but……if you listen carefully, things are missing in the sound (sampled, like a photo of the sound as it sounded at the ”moment it was made”). I explain; In Organteq I feel as I was standing in front of the organ with some pipes to the right and some to the left, and I can hear where pipes are located in space, it’s so realistic ( it is heard especially in the bass tones, 3D configuration). This is not heard clearly in the sampled ones. Then, as someone said and I agree, an actual pipe organ is so complex, that it cannot be 100% perfect: there is always a pipe slightly out of tune, there are key clics, there is the blower meowing somewhere…In Organteq, menu give you access to a panel where you can detune/fine-tune the whole organ, note per note (can’t be done with sample). This could make Flores’s example even better, if someone think the sound we hear here is too perfect to be genuine. These things and many more make, in my opinion, Organteq livelier, more realistic, more lifelike, than sample based variants (which sounded quite good here).
But, as I use to say, it is of course always about personal preference. People probably should go with what they like and enjoy. Modelled is my choice. Not bored so far

And thank you, James, for comparing these organs, and for your music - always interesting

Last edited by Pianoteqenthusiast (05-01-2021 13:14)

Thank you, James for the very nice comparison.

You only used a limited number of stops, but still one hears the differences between a close recording of Urakami, wherea a Caen listener is farther down in the church. Both instruments sound very well. With Organteq, as has been said already, one is very close to the organ. To say which is more convincing seems difficult to me, because the perception really depends on your position: a participant of a concert, or an organist practicing on the console. With its direct action Organteq would be my choice for study. The reverb settings can vary  your position.

One question: the perception also depends on whether you use headphones or speakers. Good headphones still are quite effective at 17 Hz, the lowest note of a 32'. In the standard Organteq setting the lowest octave of the pedal P16 is enhanced, perhaps to compensate for the limited response of many speakers below 40 Hz. It seems that you recorded Organteq with the original settings.

Analog Heyligers E1 organ, 13 stops, 2 manuals + pedal
December 2018 extension: third manual and midi
Software Organteq, GrandOrgue, Sweelinq