Topic: Suggestions

Congrats Modartt team with the Organteq. May it outsell Hauptwerk! And I have a couple of suggestions how to improve it.

The expression pedal volume need to be adjustable, or eventually tweaked a bit. I just listened to a brand new organ in my area with a lovely Récit  and it was wonderful to hear it go from F to PP. Your Récit could need more dynamic differences.

10 combinations is way too few for major organ pieces and if somebody expects to use Organteq in a small church that's a serious limitation. Any hobbyist thinking of making a Youtube video of a longer piece will also probably not be using Organteq. Even back in the 90's I saw 256 combinations, nowadays I believe it's unlimited.

And I've seen some Hauptwerk owners use Novation Launchpads to control the stops. Organteq should be compatible, it's so much easier pushing physical pads. Don't know if it's already possible via action mapping....

Thanks!

Last edited by CuriousDan (28-11-2019 20:02)

Re: Suggestions

> expression pedal needs to be adjustable.

I noticed this , but my expression pedal wasn't sending the full range of controller values : only going from about 50 to 110 (instead of 0 to 127).    Oh and backwards (so up was quieter than down) but OT seemed to be able to do that when I reversed the numbers

CuriousDan wrote:

Congrats Modartt team with the Organteq. May it outsell Hauptwerk! And I have a couple of suggestions how to improve it.

The expression pedal volume need to be adjustable, or eventually tweaked a bit. I just listened to a brand new organ in my area with a lovely Récit  and it was wonderful to hear it go from F to PP. Your Récit could need more dynamic differences.

10 combinations is way too few for major organ pieces and if somebody expects to use Organteq in a small church that's a serious limitation. Any hobbyist thinking of making a Youtube video of a longer piece will also probably not be using Organteq. Even back in the 90's I saw 256 combinations, nowadays I believe it's unlimited.

And I've seen some Hauptwerk owners use Novation Launchpads to control the stops. Organteq should be compatible, it's so much easier pushing physical pads. Don't know if it's already possible via action mapping....

Thanks!

These are valid suggestions. Looking forward to future improvements such as a transposer (esp in small steps - cents) to be able to tune Organteq to another physical instrument such as an acoustical piano.

Rgds,
Ed

engrssc wrote:

These are valid suggestions. Looking forward to future improvements such as a transposer (esp in small steps - cents) to be able to tune Organteq to another physical instrument such as an acoustical piano.

Rgds,
Ed

Oh yes, this is important! Sometimes I'd like to add my MIDI keyboard to our church organ just to have a Voix Celeste, and tuning is essential. Thanks.

A Tremulant feature would be nice... for at least the Vox Humana, or ideally to be selected independently for each keyboard.

Also... is there anything to be done about the variable high-pitched Shriek which seems to be some interaction between certain Reverb settings and the Attack on certain pipes, especially those with higher frequency components?

CuriousDan wrote:

I'd like to add ... a Voix Celeste, and tuning is essential.

I really can't tell if you're being ironic, here.

wnicnz wrote:
CuriousDan wrote:

I'd like to add ... a Voix Celeste, and tuning is essential.

I really can't tell if you're being ironic, here.

What's the problem?
My acoustic organ does not have a Celeste.

OrganoPleno wrote:

Is there anything to be done about the variable high-pitched Shriek which seems to be some interaction between certain Reverb settings and the Attack on certain pipes, especially those with higher frequency components?

Concerning the adventitious sound which I referred to earlier, both here and in the "possible bugs" thread.

I have carefully investigated my settings, and determined that this is NOT any kind of overload, but is a direct result of the physical model.  Checking sample rate, buffer size, polyphony, and watching the CPU/Audio load indicators, both on the main screen and in Settings.

Audio overload can easily be produced by disabling multi-core support, but this abrupt harsh sound is nothing like what I am referring to.

Rather, it is an effect of the "attack" phase in the model, which appears more strongly in certain contexts.

When many sounds (many notes and many stops) are played together, the effect is additive, and can be quite "striking".  Best described as a high-pitched metallic percussive effect.

It is NOT affected by the reverb settings, but still occurs even with reverb disabled.  And it occurs regardless of the temperament selected.

Playing notes at the upper end of the keyboard, the effect moves into "ultrasound" beyond what I can hear, and thus is no problem.  Playing notes at the lower end of the keyboard, the effect appears at a much lower pitch and so does not sound so metallic or so percussive, hence no problem,

Playing just a few notes and stops, it can be heard as an exaggerated "chiff" in the Attack, but is not particularly a problem.  Also, however, not particularly satisfactory, as romantic-style Organs eg by Cavaille-Coll do NOT have "chiff" anywhere near this prominent.

Playing LOTS of notes, big chords with LOTS of stops pulled... the beautiful Organ sounds pretty well drown out these unwanted "chirps" so the effect is once again quite satisfactory.

So there we are... an effect of mid-range notes with middle-full chords and middle-full registrations.

Interestingly... each session when I play OrganTeq, the effect appears less intrusive.  Apparently, the listener's EXPECTATION seems to play into things rather strongly.

My own "expectation" for Pipe Organ sounds is based on years of listening to live instruments and good quality recordings, and on playing the Hauptwerk Program on a high-end system (console, CPU, and Audio).

The Organteq sounds are overall very nice, and as I stated earlier, it is a lot of fun to play and the Program shows tremendous potential.  But it is not yet ready for the "big time", eg public performance, as various curiosities within the Model do appear from time to time, as well as the afore-mentioned "chirp" which is clearly neither authentic nor desirable.

Again, thanks for this interesting and exciting new Release, and wishing All the Best to the Development Team as they carry the program forward to its next Version.

Sincerely,  -- OrganoPleno

You can already tune the whole organ to a different diapason from 440 Hz, plus a few standard microtunings.

You can also separately detune each and every stop, per key even (and adjust per key volume too).

MIDI mapping is very comprehensive and you can for sure use Launchpad to change stops.

I agree that there should be way more dynamics possible with the expression pedal.

Last edited by EvilDragon (03-12-2019 16:36)
Hard work and guts!

EvilDragon wrote:

You can already tune the whole organ to a different diapason from 440 Hz, plus a few standard microtunings.

You can also separately detune each and every stop, per key even (and adjust per key volume too).

Yes but for many musicians it is essential to be able to create their own microtunings. The detune function only allows +/-50 cent retuning per note which is a severe limitation.

I'm sure Pianoteq's microtuning implementation will eventually be implemented. Patience, we're only at v1.0

Hard work and guts!

EvilDragon wrote:

I'm sure Pianoteq's microtuning implementation will eventually be implemented. Patience, we're only at v1.0

When the current version 1.01 has been exceeded, it would be very useful to complete this organ with the last 2 octaves missing: Especially in the bass (C-1 - B-1) with at least one stop of 32 '. In highs, the stop 1 'unfortunately stops in Organteq C9 (8khz) while there should be an octave more ...
I was lucky in 1975 to be allowed to play some notes, including the extreme notes on the great organ of Westminster Cathedral in London (not on the organ of the Abbey of the same name). remember perfectly the presence of these 2 octaves. I found yesterday a description of the games of this organ ... http://www.westminstercathedral.org.uk/organ_grand.php
there is still a bit of work for the upcoming versions of Organteq, but it takes a start at all ...

Bruno