Topic: Finally...

One word: Wow!

Re: Finally...

Gilles wrote:

Have no time for words I got so many question that are clearly not answered by the material so I will condense in just one?

Where is the demo?

"And live to be the show and gaze o' the time."  (William Shakespeare)

I want sustain pedal - am i crazy?
So different feeling compared to the piano. Good work!

Chopin87 wrote:
Gilles wrote:

Have no time for words I got so many question that are clearly not answered by the material so I will condense in just one?

Where is the demo?

Here:
https://www.modartt.com/try

gasparka wrote:
Chopin87 wrote:
Gilles wrote:

Where is the demo?

Here:
https://www.modartt.com/try

**** yeah! Thanks! I am gonna eclipse for the night and come back later for my own flue stop.

To get an idea of the power of this instruments, I pulled all the stops and coupled all keyboards. My memory of an old sampled organ was that you could not couple registers a lot before running out of sound buffers. Organteq was really well optimized because this full organ works well on my Mac Pro up to polyphony 128 (with 64 samples buffer at 48 kHz 24 bits)... You have to remember that one single note pushes the polyphony much higher than in Pianoteq since many pipes may be activated at the same time, quite a challenge for the model! Well done!

Edit: just noticed the Tutti control that does all that in one step...Nice idea to have phantom images of stops that are pushed but activated! I am also very impressed by the realism of the reed sounds you get when coupling the pedals with the Tutti...A lot to explore.

Last edited by Gilles (27-11-2019 20:42)

The first thing I am noticing is the fact that I am tied down by midi. Not being able to assign to the pc keyboard either stops and combination is an annoying constraint.

I'm thrilled to try out this new release today!  I've been listening but haven't yet set up my MIDI console and played Organteq myself. I look forward to now being able to utilize the best in both sampled and modelled approaches. Great job! I can see tons of potential for an already nice product.  My retirement hobby is converting old organ consoles for MIDI input and output including stops and pistons of course.  Organteq looks like an opportunity to produce great sound without a monster of a PC.  The option to run on Linux should be very popular.

Happy to be here!

Finally !!
But initially, I thought you were going to post a beta version instead !

I noticed some small bugs :
When he has to play the 4 quarter note chords with the player, he plays these notes as a half note, anyway, I only tried this little music : https://www.forum-pianoteq.com/uploads....e=uhjb.mid
When I start the software, it is a bit long to load, I think it can be corrected, it's the same when I change the temperament
The French translation is not complete

And I hope we can play with the computer keyboard !

After all, this is the first official version, I am very much to see more !  :3

Last edited by OST999 (27-11-2019 22:51)

the demos are awesome.  really looking forward to trying it out.

Sounds lovely, and the interface is clear, and clearly the result of much thought. Congratulations!

I could not install. I says "runtime error". "Could not cal proc.'

Last edited by Beto-Music (28-11-2019 17:44)

The demos are very good, the 3D sound or panning is great. I do feel like I'm hearing and seeing (in the mind) a real pipe organ

jkinkennon wrote:

I'm thrilled to try out this new release today!  I've been listening but haven't yet set up my MIDI console and played Organteq myself. I look forward to now being able to utilize the best in both sampled and modelled approaches. Great job! I can see tons of potential for an already nice product.  My retirement hobby is converting old organ consoles for MIDI input and output including stops and pistons of course.  Organteq looks like an opportunity to produce great sound without a monster of a PC.  The option to run on Linux should be very popular.

Happy to be here!

Your 'retirement hobby' sounds great!

Do you by any chance have any experience with (MIDI) keyboards which attempt to emulate a tracker action? I think I saw some work along these lines going on in Germany some years back. I'm not sure what MIDI they might have output but there'd need to be some info about the speed of key press, and more particularly release. And the action would need to be quite heavy.

I'm not an organist but my wife is. She studied in Amsterdam for some years where she was spoilt rotten with the wonderful instruments there. Far as she's concerned, if it ain't tracker...

Predictably, she's not impressed with sampled instruments but I am hoping that Organteq is going to make a splash, if not immediately then in due course. Trouble is, she's not interested in the technical side of things, which is why it's me, not her, writing this post.

My first impression is that so far Organteq is all about the French rather than North German tradition (eg Cavaillé-Coll voicings) but I'm no expert so correct me if I'm wrong. Also, so far there doesn't seem to be anything about special keyboards. So maybe none exist? It would be great if someone's doing some work in this direction because the expressive potential of a tracker action is so much greater. Obviously, there's been loads of work of this sort with the piano, culminating in things like the Yamaha N1X which have a full grand piano action. But I'm guessing that progress with the organ is lagging far behind.

Any info you have would be good to hear.

Thanks, Ian.

Last edited by IanL (28-11-2019 20:03)
N1X - PT Pro - Linux

Congratulation!
Organteq is a really breakthrough in comparison to the previous sample based virtual pipe organs.
Not only it uses much much fewer resources than the previous ones, but also has a much better straight-forward user interface for setting the so many parameters of such a complex instrument as a pipe organ.
Last but not least it sounds great! Well done.
I will provide my suggestions for improvement later on, after some time playing it.

What fun!

By the way, stop-knobs and couplers can be assigned to midi-events (such as a console Piston) by right click, for those that have an organ-type console.

Agreeing largely with everyone above, it's an amazing instrument and nothing short of genius again - and at 15 megabytes? That is so wowing!

Great video introduction and instantly graspable info accompanied by another fine piece by Piet, glorious work.

Listening to the default on-load MIDI file "Voluntary in A Minor" by John Stanley, performed by Joe Felice makes me profoundly proud for everyone working on this instrument - astoundingly satisfying.

I never expected such a strong desire to own a pipe organ. This along with Pianoteq might be too hard a combo to resist for inspiration.

Like magic again does another instrument evolve with care into the digital fabric beyond the reaches of prior technology and again my hat is off to you Modartt! Not just dipped, thrown into the air - how utterly inspiring.

Pianoteq Studio Bundle (Pro plus all instruments)  - Kawai MP11 digital piano - Yamaha HS8 monitors

Established Hauptwerk user here - so not probably one of your regular sort of customers, and I'm afraid not an immediate purchaser (yet).  And I might go away and never be heard from again.  But I registered on this forum specifically to say congratulations, and that probably tells you something.

For those who don't know, Hautpwerk is the gold standard for computer-based pipe organ simulators, been around for years. There's a big community around building complete instruments (multi-keyboard console,stop knobs, combination action, multiple touch screens etc) as well as hobbyists repurposing old electronic instruments with MIDI.  My setup at home is at heart a 1990s  2-manual + pedal console with the internal sound disabled.  Hauptwerk is sample-based (to an extreme .. several samples per pipe) and its forté is exactly copying existing pipe organs:  although there is a lot of modelling going on around wind supply, acoustics, swell boxes and so forth. Although the basic edition of Hauptwerk is almost the same price as Organteq, most people buy the Advanced edition and a professionally recorded sample set (or two) which can cost several $/€thousands

I had a play with Organteq for only about 20 minutes, so there is a limit to what I can comment on, and certainly a limit to criticism, but I am very impressed.   I don't know what market you're aiming for - but if you want to break into the organist (as opposed to studio) market, then you've made a very good start!   I got this hooked up to one of the MIDI controllers (more on that) and the ASIO sound driver within minutes, and was having a bit of fun immediately. 

So a few observations.  The MIDI only recognised one of my MIDI interfaces, fortunately the one with the keyboards, but I couldn't see how to assign stop knobs to my Novation Launchpad.   There are also funny limitations with organ consoles, my console sends stop changes as note on , but if you use a piston, then you also need to send note ons (and offs) to get it to change the lights.  I also actually use some stop tabs as momentary pistons, which means I need the computer to immediately send the off signal after receiving an on!  (Hauptwerk can do this easily).   The Launchpad likes receiving messages with specific velocities that change the LED colour. So probably not within your immediate plans, and the scope is almost infinite, but something to think about.

The other thing is of course you've concentrated on a certain style of pipe organ, and the range of pipe organs out there is pretty infinite.  For my home practice instrument I need something that matches closely the real pipe organs I play (on Sundays and in concert situations) and this isn't it!    Voicing is an absolute art form, and wouldn't it be nice to be able to use organteq to create a virtual instrument with exactly the same stops as the one at church (or whatever).  However, even if you cloned the Atlantic City Boardwalk organ (455 ranks!) you would only have a fraction...

As other people have mentioned, 10 pistons isn't a lot.  I use up to about 30 sets of 10 on my church organ and regularly reused.  A SET piston would be an easy thing to add - I didn't see it.

Oh - and fantastic Linux implementation.  That's something Hauptwerk can't do <g>.  And even on Windows,  HW needs several gigabytes RAM just to get off the ground. I just did a test with a fairly major Christmas Postlude, fast playing that would show up latency something chronic, but this was quite enjoyable. HW was using 8GB of memory; OrganTeq used 125MB...  and about double the CPU usage, but nothing this computer couldn't handle.  (most of those 8GB are samples, of course, and this was a substantial 4-manual cathedral) .  Also HW takes about 5 minutes to load with a decent-sized. OT was ready to go in about 10 seconds.

To the person who suggested a sustain pedal ... um, no.  Pipe organs can do many many things a piano can't dream of, sustain is not really one of them.   (There have been organs made with a "latch" gizmo, but trust me, you wouldn't want to use it for more than the odd special effect).

Beto-Music wrote:

I could not install. I says "runtime error". "Could not cal proc.'

Hi Beto-Music,
Thanks for reporting. Could you send a screenshot of the error at : https://www.modartt.com/support?direct=1

jkinkennon wrote:

I'm thrilled to try out this new release today!  I've been listening but haven't yet set up my MIDI console and played Organteq myself. I look forward to now being able to utilize the best in both sampled and modeled approaches. Great job! I can see tons of potential for an already nice product.  My retirement hobby is converting old organ consoles for MIDI input and output including stops and pistons of course.  Organteq looks like an opportunity to produce great sound without a monster of a PC.  The option to run on Linux should be very popular.

Happy to be here!

All in all, looks to be a promising product more initially for a new to sampled organs person.

OTOH, if the same amount of progress is made toward realism as the pianos, this could be a contender for more serious organists. I, like some others here, have been a Hauptwerk user for quite awhile. Having said that, what is impressive here is the ease of setup. Formerly, I was quite involved with MidiTzer (theatre organs), which likewise is easy to set up and ready-to-play "out of the box". This can be very appealing to non technical musicians who don't want to get involved in tech matters.
Agree, this product needs to expand, for instance in numbers of available pistons and some other features, maybe more voicing options. But as is, it looks good. Congrats !!

Rgds,
Ed

Last edited by engrssc (29-11-2019 10:23)

As a Pianoteq user, I am impressive what can be done with this technology; however, I am not quite convinced with the realism of the results; it still sounds a bit artificial and unbalanced to my ears and I much prefer the actual sampled organs in Hauptwerk, as you can have organs from different periods, styles, countries, etc.

I am curious to see where this will lead….

Many congratulations. This is a major advance.

There is one thing I'm questioning and that is that there appears to be some tremulation of 8ft flues. Is that intentional?

Best wishes

David P

IanL wrote:

My first impression is that so far Organteq is all about the French rather than North German tradition (eg Cavaillé-Coll voicings) but I'm no expert so correct me if I'm wrong.

Well, they described in the Organteq presentation that they were inspired by Cavaillé-Coll. No wonder for a French company.... ;-) But even if Cavaillé-Coll built very good organs (especially the console design I like): I'm not a fan of the romantic, "symphonic" sound. I prefer the clarity of the organs e.g. by Arp Schnitger. Since I live in the upper north of Germany, there are some beautiful organs of this ingenious organ builder within reach.

I really hope that in the future there will be parameter sets for different organ types, as you know them from Pianoteq. That would fulfill a dream for me ...

- Manfred

Congratulations, Roman and Modartt team!  Pipe organ has been called "King of Instruments" because of its wide expressive range. Now we have it. Thank you! I played it almost all night and made a ”Short festive music” to celebrate ”my” new instrument. (Uploaded to Rec. feat. Ptq and Organteq).
It has probably been a hard work to get it ready before end of year. As with Ptq, I’m sure there will be more features later. But now I’m so happy! Thanks for this amazing unique instrument! It will be late nights…:-)

IanL wrote:
jkinkennon wrote:

Happy to be here!

Your 'retirement hobby' sounds great!

Do you by any chance have any experience with (MIDI) keyboards which attempt to emulate a tracker action? I think I saw some work along these lines going on in Germany some years back. I'm not sure what MIDI they might have output but there'd need to be some info about the speed of key press, and more particularly release. And the action would need to be quite heavy.

I'm not an organist but my wife is. She studied in Amsterdam for some years where she was spoilt rotten with the wonderful instruments there. Far as she's concerned, if it ain't tracker...

Predictably, she's not impressed with sampled instruments but I am hoping that Organteq is going to make a splash, if not immediately then in due course. Trouble is, she's not interested in the technical side of things, which is why it's me, not her, writing this post.

My first impression is that so far Organteq is all about the French rather than North German tradition (eg Cavaillé-Coll voicings) but I'm no expert so correct me if I'm wrong. Also, so far there doesn't seem to be anything about special keyboards. So maybe none exist? It would be great if someone's doing some work in this direction because the expressive potential of a tracker action is so much greater. Obviously, there's been loads of work of this sort with the piano, culminating in things like the Yamaha N1X which have a full grand piano action. But I'm guessing that progress with the organ is lagging far behind.

Any info you have would be good to hear.

Thanks, Ian.

Ian:   MIDI Keyboards for organ use in Virtual Pipe Organs (VPO's) are readily available - see www.MIDIWorks.ca   Their MIDI Organ keyboards have Tracker Touch, and send both attack and release velocity.   They are available without pistons, or with up to 24 pistons, also lighted if you like!

Go to midi setup and assign right pedal to sustain. It's possible.

gasparka wrote:

I want sustain pedal - am i crazy?
So different feeling compared to the piano. Good work!

I'm thrilled that Organteq has finally been released! Being that the style of the 'default' organ is French Romantic, I wasn't sure I'd be able to create the sound I wanted for my favorite organ piece, "Vater unser in Himmelreich" by Georg Böhm, which I rendered using various sample-based virtual organs a few years ago. I just re-registered it for Organteq, and am very pleased with the sound: https://soundcloud.com/jason-castle-1/b...q-20191130 I particularly like the cornet stop. However, I will look forward to some German Baroque organs in the future. — Ah, this doesn't take you to the SoundCloud page, so I should add that I am not a keyboard player; this was performed in real time on wind controller from the pedal part up. By the time I got to the top part, I was ecstatic!

Last edited by Jason Castle (30-11-2019 17:29)

Jason Castle wrote:

I'm thrilled that Organteq has finally been released! Being that the style of the 'default' organ is French Romantic, I wasn't sure I'd be able to create the sound I wanted for my favorite organ piece, "Vater unser in Himmelreich" by Georg Böhm, which I rendered using various sample-based virtual organs a few years ago. I just re-registered it for Organteq, and am very pleased with the sound: https://soundcloud.com/jason-castle-1/b...q-20191130 I particularly like the cornet stop. However, I will look forward to some German Baroque organs in the future. — Ah, this doesn't take you to the SoundCloud page, so I should add that I am not a keyboard player; this was performed in real time on wind controller from the pedal part up. By the time I got to the top part, I was ecstatic!

Beautiful piece, and well played! In the same spirit as the BWV 768 I rendered in another thread also using the Cornet for melody.

I was inspired by the Silbermann Arlesheim organ played by Daniel Chorzempa so I think the modeling for Organteq adapts very well to germanic organs too.

Last edited by Gilles (30-11-2019 20:25)

— "Beautiful piece, and well played!"

Thanks!

— "In the same spirit as the BWV 768 I rendered in another thread also using the Cornet for melody. :)"

I'll look for that. I love that Cornet!

— "I think the modeling for Organteq adapts very well to germanic organs too."

I agree. And I'm confident it will get even better.

HenryW wrote:

Ian:   MIDI Keyboards for organ use in Virtual Pipe Organs (VPO's) are readily available - see www.MIDIWorks.ca   Their MIDI Organ keyboards have Tracker Touch, and send both attack and release velocity.   They are available without pistons, or with up to 24 pistons, also lighted if you like!

Henry, Ah! Wonderful! Thank you. Quite expensive, but worth it if they are the business. I haven't seen any facility in Organteq to respond to such keyboards though. Am I missing something? If now, or in the future, it does have some such facility then that would be great. And I suppose it's exactly the sort of thing that a modelled instrument can excel at. Does Hauptwerk have any such thing? And, if so, is it based on multiple samples or some sort of filtering do you know? Thanks, Ian.

N1X - PT Pro - Linux

Finally ...
after listening attentively today with some close musicians, and after a new keyboard comparison with the trial version of Hauptwerk I bought it.
A beautiful Christmas present in perspective ...
For me (although non-organist) but great organ lover, it is not quite ready yet but it is very promising and will improve even more, as it was the case with the instruments of Pianoteq. ..

Congratulations to the whole Modartt team ..

Bruno

Last edited by bm (01-12-2019 22:29)