Topic: Dynamics in Pianoteq

What does the dynamics feature in Pianoteq actually control on?

It's not the dynamic range, right?
I changed the dynamic and watched the velocity diagram and from what I understand,it changes the amount of force you have to use in order to produce louder notes - when you lowering the dynmics you can press lighter to get louder notes, and when upping the dynamics you have to press harder to get louder notes.
Am I correct?

Re: Dynamics in Pianoteq

hag01 wrote:

What does the dynamics feature in Pianoteq actually control on?

It's not the dynamic range, right?
I changed the dynamic and watched the velocity diagram and from what I understand,it changes the amount of force you have to use in order to produce louder notes - when you lowering the dynmics you can press lighter to get louder notes, and when upping the dynamics you have to press harder to get louder notes.
Am I correct?

Yes, you are basically correct.  Pianoteq cannot get any louder than a certain amount without going into digital distortion.  So, in effect, the dynamics slider "downwardly expands" the volume so you experience a greater dynamic range -- more soft (less volume) at the low end and an upper limit at the loud end.  Of course, the dynamics slider must be used in conjunction with the volume slider to achieve the desired effect, so you don't really have to play that much harder to make the sound louder -- again, up to the limit before digital distortion sets in.

If you were to set the dynamics slider to 0dB, then your keyboard would generate the same amount of loudness regardless of how hard or softly you strike your keys.

Cheers,

Joe