Topic: Nasal-tones a half-a-second or so into sounds

Yesterday, on my trip to the Jacksonville Yamaha store with my father, I had the opportunity to play two Yamaha 9' CF-III pianos.  One thing that I didn't understand from many Pianoteq models is the nasal-like 'tw-wangggg' tones that begin to occur about 1/3 to 1/2 second after keys are struck.  I do not hear them prominently on sampled pianos such as Native Instruments' The Grandeur nor their Alicia's Keys, nor on real instruments such as my mother's Steinway M nor my upright Steinway F.

But it was quite notable on both of the 9' Yamaha CF-IIIs, clearly present from the mid-bass through the mid-treble.

The best way to describe the sound is as similar to the sound that I hear when I pluck a tightly stretched rubber-band:  at first I hear primarily a fundamental tone, but then I hear beats of a nasal, twangy, 'fuzzing through the air' sound, as I watch the amplitude of the motion of the mid-section of the rubber-band grow to near that of my initiating deflection, then diminish, and then grow and diminish again repeatedly.  While not as obvious as with the rubber-band example, that's what appears to be happening in this range of the long piano's strings, like a stacking of tones and overtones with their beats.  Perhaps it's only evident with long pianos and not with shorter parlor pianos.

While I had previously thought this characteristic of Pianoteq was not realistic, I am now convinced otherwise.  Pretty cool.

- David

- David

Re: Nasal-tones a half-a-second or so into sounds

dklein - if you have Pianoteq Pro, look in the Design window on the main GUI.  There are two small sliders at the bottom to control "Blooming".  Your comments about the rubber band made me think of that control.  (don't break the rubber band ;-)

Pianoteq is to sampled pianos what photoshop is to Etch-a-Sketch.  I even made pancakes and sausage with Pianoteq  this morning - (not).

Kudos,

Lanny

Hello David,

As a professional piano tuner, and a person who beta tests and furnishes demos of Pianoteq models for Niclas and Philippe, I know exactly what you are experiencing as regards to the twang sound you hear when playing a real CFIII Yamaha:

You are hearing the "geometry" of the string's vibrational mode change from primarily in the vertical orientation (because in a real grand piano, the strings are struck vertically -- upward from below) to a mixed vertical and horizontal mode.  This is done by design!!!  Why?  If you look the bridge of a grand piano, you will notice that the string undergoes a kind of "jog" as the string crosses the bridge on its way to the hitch pins at the back of the piano.  This "jog" is introduced so as to encourage the strings to also vibrate with a horizontal component to its vibrational pattern!i  Why?  That's such that the vibration will be carried "parallel" to the bridge and follow the grains of the soundboard!  This is exactly why, when you play any piano, you can also hear the lower bass notes seem to come out of the right hand side of the piano, and the treble notes come out of the left side!

So, in fact, the "twang" that you described in your original thread -- happens to be the transition from strictly vertical-mode vibration ... to a combination of vertical- and horizontal-mode vibration.  In strict reality, the cross-sectional pattern of vibration is really that of an oval ... composed of vertical and horizontal components.

I must sadly concur that I have NEVER heard this true-to-life artifact in any sampled piano library that I have owned (including East West Quantum Leap, Synthogy, or Blüthner Digital Model One).  The microphones for sampled pianos are usually not located close enough to the strings where a person (who is seated at the keyboard with the grand piano's lid raised) will hear them.

Ahhhh!!!!  But you CAN hear this in Pianoteq; it reveals itself naturally about one-half second after the virtual string is struck by the virtual hammer.

Enough of my rambling.

Cheers,

Joe

P.S.  Are you aware that this "jog" feature on a piano's bridge ... IS Pianoteq's logo????  The only fault I found with the logo is that it is oriented in the wrong direction!!!!  I discussed this with Philippe, years ago, when I first acquired Pianoteq in Version 3.  Philippe told me that the geometry was taken from an "upright piano" rather than a "grand piano".  In fact, the two versions are opposite from one another.  Why?  Because in a grand piano, the strings are struck upward from below, and in an upright piano, the strings are struck sideways (essentially downward towards the soundboard) from "above" the soundboard.  Philippe told me that I was the very first person who noticed that inconsistency -- and as long as no one else noticed, Modartt would retain their "backwards" logo!

jcfelice88keys wrote:

Philippe told me that the geometry was taken from an "upright piano" rather than a "grand piano".  In fact, the two versions are opposite from one another.  Why?  Because in a grand piano, the strings are struck upward from below, and in an upright piano, the strings are struck sideways (essentially downward towards the soundboard) from "above" the soundboard.  Philippe told me that I was the very first person who noticed that inconsistency -- and as long as no one else noticed, Modartt would retain their "backwards" logo!

It is that of an upright, but also that of a grand, when observed in a mirror .

Lanny, sadly, my Pianoteq did not toast the bagels for my breakfast with my parents this morning.  But, in the flavor of Alton Brown's teachings, I would still not classify Pianoteq as a 'unitasker'.  And, no, I have not done much with the blooming controls.  I have only played with them a bit when working on my half-baked calliope preset, but am not skilled in their use (and I haven't found a way to get them to help my piano presets).

Joe, brilliant!  You have completed my lesson by fleshing-out the observation that I have made in the past and had forgotten when I wrote this morning's email. 

I do recall watching (in the past) the vibrations on a taught rubber-band change direction in a rotational axis, and I remember trying to trying to pluck strings and rubber bands to either enhance or decrease this behavior.  The longer the string, the more obvious, and audible, the transitions.  And, as I was just reading this morning about Erard's development of the agraffe in 1808, firmly fixing the end of the string to the bridge and thus to the soundboard (The Piano, Billboard Books, 2002, which I bought used on Amazon mainly for the images of historical pianos).  I guess, in theory, since all waves have the agraffe as a nodal point, the string shouldn't transfer sound to the soundboard this way, but I'm sure that it actually must.  While I did notice the diagonal offset of the string across the agraffe, I thought it was a way to increase the friction and security of the attachment point, much like wrapping a dockline angled as the first turn on a cleat.  Whether the diagonal causing a change of the string's vibration 90 degrees was intentional or a happy accident to increase the sound transmission to the soundboard, I do not know.  But I do know that in the mid 1800s, the two major players in Europe (the pre-Steinway period) were Erard and Pleyel - Chopin preferred the delicacy of the Pleyel, while the more dramatic Liszt preferred Erard.  As no doubt our ears will tell us, every "modern" piano (including those of Pleyel, as well as Steinway, and all others) followed the lessons of Erard and gave us the dynamic instruments that we know, playing so well next to orchestras and bands.  If the world followed the model of Pleyel, contemporary pianos would have been solo instruments in chambers and parlors until the likes of Leo Fender and his amplifiers!

Why sampled pianos don't have this transitional sound, I do not know, because the photos of piano sampling show the microphones way-closer than my ears are when I am at the keyboard.  I wonder if the recording engineers for sampled pianos intentionally edit this characteristic out because people don't expect to hear it - it sounds foreign when you don't hang-out near full-size concert pianos.  Well, I guess as I am learning piano for the past year or so and am seeking out these huge contraptions, I now know that this sound is normal and should be coveted instead of being shunned.

Thanks, Philippe!  Thanks, Joe!

- David

Hello David,

I wish to add one more comment to this thread -- contrary to popular (mis)conception that a real piano string's vibrational mode is NOT a node at the bridge!  Here's what is really going on:  Piano strings are each tensioned to approximately 300 pounds (~135 kg) pull force between the hitchpins and the tuning pins.  In reality, although the strings are connected to the bridge via the agraffes, the bridge and soundboard are "dragged along" for the ride by the vibrating strings!!!  True, there is some kinetic energy loss (in the form of transfer of motion) between the vibrating string and bridge/soundboard combination, but the piano is designed to transfer (as much as feasibly possible) the motions of the vibrating strings to the soundboard by way of the bridge. 

The percentage of kinetic energy transfer from vibrating string to the soundboard of a real acoustic grand piano has been estimated at only about the order of 5% (one-twentieth) of the total motion.  Now, if the string's vibrational "node" (not mode) did occur always at the agraffe on the bridge, then zero sound energy would be transferred to the soundboard.  Why?  That's because if the bridge "is" at a node, then the string is not vibrating there, and there is no reason for the bridge to transfer zero kinetic energy to the soundboard.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,

Joe

I thought that the energy transfer to the soundboard happens even though the air that lies between the string and the soundboard,  but it seems that the bridge had to play an important a part.   Thanks.

- David

dklein wrote:

I thought that the energy transfer to the soundboard happens even though the air that lies between the string and the soundboard,  but it seems that the bridge had to play an important a part.   Thanks.

Hello David,

That's a completely logical idea to assume -- except that if it were true that energy transfers to the soundboard through the air (primarily), then there would be zero need for a bridge!  Think about it.  The bridges' functions, and that's why there are two of them in a piano, are to help actuate the soundboard!!!  Surprise!!

Cheers,

Joe

dklein wrote:

<...>
I do not hear them prominently <...> on real instruments such as my mother's Steinway M nor my upright Steinway F.

<...>
- David

My educated guess as to why you don't hear this effect prominently on your mothers Steinway Model M (5'7" btw) is that the unisons probably need to be tuned a little closer to each other.  I have tuned a number of Model M's and have distinctly heard the effect when the three trichords (from about F below middle C to about E above middle C --- are in very close tuning alignment with one another.  THAT'S when the effect is most prominent.  In fact, when I tune trichords (tones with three strings per note), I always tune the center string first, then tune the leftmost string so as to "bring out" the even harmonics (sounding as octave overtones) and, lastly, tune the rightmost string of the trichord to bring out the odd harmonics (fifth and third sounding overtones in higher overtone octaves).  All the while, this "singing" effect occurs just as the strings' vibrational modes change from primarily vertical ... to a mixture of vertical and horizontal, courtesy of the agraffe in the bridge.

Cheers,

Joe

Cool.   I like it.

So,  Joe,  hoe do you take best advantage of Phillipe's gift of adjustable unison balance and unison width?

Where in the register do you like to have them most notable,  and what settings in the Note Editor do you like to use?

David

- David

I understand what is being said about the change in vibrational mode, but the original poster may also want to check on the mics that being used, assuming that he has a version of Pianoteq that allows changing out the mics. Doesn't a cardioid mic color the timbre of sounds that are arriving off-axis? This effect, if it was intentionally or unintentionally included in the model or not, might be part of what is being heard.

I would imagine that this coloring might become more prominent with some reverb settings--if by accident, a reflection is arriving quickly on a hard strike, when upper inharmonic partials are audible?

Which leads to another question: To what degree are off-axis sounds modelled in the mic modelling?