Topic: Blending Pianoteq with Roland's Supernatural?

Hello,
Has anybody here blended Pianoteq with Roland's Supernatural piano sounds? If so, how did it go?
bruce

Re: Blending Pianoteq with Roland's Supernatural?

brooster wrote:

Hello,
Has anybody here blended Pianoteq with Roland's Supernatural piano sounds? If so, how did it go?
bruce

Every time when I try to blend different pianos I dont have a feel that is anything better then default and also not so inspiring. Simply put, it is unrealistic digital mess. So I gave up no matter what pianos I use.

Last edited by slobajudge (25-08-2016 17:26)

brooster wrote:

Hello,
bruce

I've done this by way of a small Peavey PV6 mixing board. Yes, you get a fuller sound, but I'm not sure that it's any better since it also sounded muddier.  Note that I've not tested this extensively but have only dallied with it. I've also played with blending different PianoTeq pianos using the Reaper DAW, and it's much the same thing: I haven't yet found a blend that I prefer just yet or that's worth the trouble, but perhaps I will with more fiddling. Sound preference is so subjective that even if I did like one of the mixtures, I'm not sure that it could be generalized.

But that's the beauty of all this -- we can fiddle with this all we want and see what results. It's like having your own sound laboratory in your laptap -- who'd a thunk we could be able to do this 15 years ago?

IMHO, if you plan to mix different pianos I strongly suggest that you do it with Pianoteq presets.  If you are using a sequencing program that can host Pianoteq (most do) then load two or three or more different Pianoteq  presets.  I use one of the vintage Logic 8 for MAC programs - nothing spectacular but work just fine even with my PowerBook G4.  No problems.  Plus you can edit your work.

SUGGESTION - choose presets that are similar but slightly alter their velocity curves - not much - just so they are slightly different. 

Lanny

Layering piano sounds (presets)  I have provided an example/demo/mp3 in the recordings page do demonstrate layering piano sounds and the explanation of how I use Logic 8 to host Pianoteq presets in layers.

Lanny

Can you play multiple Pianoteq pianos at the same time? If so, can you blend them within the Pianoteq program?

You can but not within Pianoteq itself. You'd need to run multiple instances within a DAW, for example.

Hard work and guts!

If you want to have a little fun, do what I accidentally did this morning: load both PianoTeq and your native keyboard sounds, but tune one a half step from the other, and then play and have fun! Better still, set this up and invite a dear friend to play your piano!

EvilDragon wrote:

You can but not within Pianoteq itself. You'd need to run multiple instances within a DAW, for example.

Provided you have an USB audio interface (driver) with multiple software inputs (and a mixer software for it within the driver, like the RME Total Mix FX for the RME Fireface or Babyface),
you can also run multiple instances of Pianoteq itself and choose different instruments. I've tried it, nice to play with, can produce very funny sounds.