Topic: Note OFF Midi - how important ?

Apparently my MIDI keyboard does not implement the "Note Off" signal.  Although I'm a real beginner on keyboards I am wondering how significant ( if at all ) this is ?

Can anyone tell me how important having a "note off" capability in a keyboard is for Pianoteq, particularly with respect to the Piano models ?

Note that I'm just interested in casual playing and I've no background in music ( and at 50, no intention of serious study or exercise in doing this. :-) ).  As my gut feeling is that this makes any effect the note off signal may have small compared with my minimal finger control, I'm inclined to think this is less significant for me than for some others, but I'm asking anyway.

I'm running Pianoteq 5 STAGE ( on Linux - works beautifully and sounds terrific, if anyone needs to know, and on very little processing power. ).  Well worth the money and LOVE that D4.

Thanks in advance for any help.

StephenG

StephenG

Re: Note OFF Midi - how important ?

My experience has been that, while Note-Off capability is not essential to playing Pianoteq, it does make a difference. I do not notice it much when listening to recordings, but when playing, it increases my sense of playing a real acoustic piano. If you have a good keyboard that you are otherwise pleased with, I would hesitate to say that you should abandon it. On the other hand, if you are searching for a new keyboard, I would suggest finding one that recognizes Note-Off velocity.

By the way, many of the "big box" stores (such as Guitar Center), now have Pianoteq on a CPU, along with other software, so that you can test it. Here in Atlanta, the CPU is kept in the monitor and headphone room. They have it connected to an Axiom or some other small MIDI keyboard.  If you are serious about testing out a keyboard, I'm sure that they would let you connect it to listen to how the keyboard interacts with Pianoteq. (The stores do not make a big thing of having the software available for testing. My theory is that they do not want kids and us playing around with it much, since it is simply loaded onto a computer, and anyone could easily change the settings or generally mess it up.)

For piano, I don't think it's that important for the keyboard to sense the release velocity - the way some sampled pianos do it is to make a prediction of the release velocity, based on the duration of the note. I.e - typically, when a note is very short, the release will be similarly short - that's just how we usually play - it's typical staccato.  Likewise, when we play a long note, we naturally lift off slower.   I have no idea whether Pianoteq has this kind of predictive behaviour or not.

Greg.

Thanks to the two responders for their thoughts.

I've done some experimentation on this and the results are that you can use the "note off" velocity map to interesting effect even without a keyboard that sends note-off signals.  This also suggests that note-off velocity has a definite impact on the piano models ( and hence the sound you make ).

It turns out that ( for keyboards that don't send note-off ) Pianoteq seems to always generate a "fake" input note-off velocity of 63 or 64 ( my visual estimate on the note-off map display ).

But you can alter this simply by changing the note-off map curve.  A value of zero leaves you with a sustained note and a higher value means a faster dying of the sound.  Basically you're going to be mapping the constant input value that Pianoteq generates ( that 63 ) using the map.

So rather useful to know if your keyboard does not support note-off, as the map does affect the rate the note dies at if you know you can make use of the thing, perhaps using the map to affect the way different pieces you play sound.

This also means that the models must actively use note-off velocities to control the rate the note dies at when keyboards support note-off.  This does seem rather important for more serious players.  I've no idea how closely this reflects how pianos work in practice, but I'd assume Pianoteq didn't do this by accident.

The note-off velocity also seems related to the generation of a key release noise ( which is documented in the manual ).  I often mute or reduce this anyway ( not being from an acoustic piano background myself it's just distracting to me - I'm sure some people will be horrified by this, not least the people who implemented the code :-) ).

As I had (stupidly) ignored the note-off velocity map when I found my keyboard did not send note off signals I apologise if I wasted anyone's time with this and hope this information will be useful to someone.  Also note I'm using STAGE 5 so I can't be sure this is valid for any other version.

StephenG

Some additional information :

While my keyboard does not send an explicit NOTE OFF event, it does seem to send a second NOTE ON event with ZERO velocity.  From reading around the internet I find that the combination of NOTE-ON and ZERO Velocity is commonly used to denote NOTE OFF.  Pianoteq therefore has no explicit note-off velocity and simply uses a default constant value instead.

I wonder how many keyboards do this ?  As it seems to be commonly used in Midi coding it may be common in many devices.

I am inclined to say that a better strategy for Pianoteq would be to use the corresponding NOTE ON velocity ( which could be tracked easily is code ) as a basis for the simulated NOTE-OFF velocity.  Or perhaps to allow different options for this case.  Either use a constant, the note-on velocity or perhaps something like the minimum of the note-on velocity or it's inverse.  I can imagine circumstances where any of these would be useful in performance ( for people whose keyboards don't send explicity note-off messages or note off with a zero velocity ).  Perhaps an option for a later version update ?

Last edited by sjgcit (08-08-2016 12:19)
StephenG

sjgcit wrote:

From reading around the internet I find that the combination of NOTE-ON and ZERO Velocity is commonly used to denote NOTE OFF.

Yes, this is Standard, and works just fine for any instrument which does not require any variation in Note-Off Velocity.

sjgcit wrote:

I am inclined to say that a better strategy for Pianoteq would be to use the corresponding NOTE ON velocity ( which could be tracked easily is code ) as a basis for the simulated NOTE-OFF velocity.

I strongly disagree.  I would think that commonly in real playing, a note struck very strong and loud would be held for a long time, through much sound decay, and finally released slow and gentle.  Likewise, I would think that a note struck very soft and gentle might want a quick, instant release to end that gentle sound exactly as required.

Thank you for the reply.   Appreciated.

OrganoPleno wrote:

I strongly disagree.  I would think that commonly in real playing, a note struck very strong and loud would be held for a long time, through much sound decay, and finally released slow and gentle.  Likewise, I would think that a note struck very soft and gentle might want a quick, instant release to end that gentle sound exactly as required.

I'm inclined to the view that it is too simplistic.  I'm quite sure I've seen pianists playing very loud and also very rapid sections and just about every combination of fast, slow, loud, soft and everything in between.

I'd also suggest that keyboard playing with Pianoteq extends far beyond the piano.  That transient after note-off can be even more significant for other instruments.  This is the case for my simple efforts on the various instruments and modifications of them.  Given the extent to which music is post processed in the professional world I wonder why we'd restrict our freedom to control this aspect of the sound generation process.  I think more control equates to more freedom to express.

StephenG

Sjgcit--in any case, I hope that you will get the opportunity to play Pianoteq on a keyboard that does register Note-off velocity. Although it may not be essential, I think that people might be surprised by the way it contributes to the sense of playing a real instrument. It's not so much on single notes that I sense the difference. It's more when playing chords. Hard to describe the sound, but there's just more of a sense of the notes sustaining a  little longer, in varying degrees, until the dampers fall. One has more of a sense of being connected to and controlling the sound, and I hear a little more of both the rattle and shimmer that emerges from a real piano.

I might add that I did not go out intentionally seeking a keyboard that sent Note-off velocity. I instead bought an old  GeneralMusic RealPiano 2 after finding one at a low price. I only wanted to compare the sound to Pianoteq and to my other hardware and software pianos. At first, I did not understand why the RealPiano made a difference in Pianoteq, but once I did understand, I came to value this seemingly small feature.

One more thing--the resulting sound, to me, is better through monitors than through headphones. Something about the varying cutoff delays increases the sense of a real piano with the strings spread out in front of me across the stereo field.

Hello all,

I am just coming in at the end of this discussion, and what I have done with my own music is as follows:  If I  know I am going to be playing a piece that is "quiet" (for example, Debussy's Reverie or Clair de Lune or The Engulfed Cathedral), it is an easy task to increase -- temporarily -- the three blue tabs of overall "damping duration" from 1.00 to approximately 1.09/1.15 in Pianoteq Pro.  Such an increase has the temporary effect similar to reducing note-off velocity from 64 to some unknown but slightly lower value.

Ironically, if I am going to play something that has a lot of staccato, such as Bach's WTC Book I Prelude and Fugue #2 in C Minor, I do NOT bother changing the damping duration from its stock value.

True, this is a "global effect," because it does not allow me to alter values of individual notes as they are played live, but it does seem to help with overall feel of the piano.  I do not know whether this ability to alter Damper Duration is exclusive to Pianoteq Pro, of if it is available in the Standard version.

My two cents,

Cheers,

Joe

Thanks to both Jake Johnson and jcfelice88keys for your posts.

Jake :

I am obliged to use headphones ( house rule - death penalty in force :-) ), but I do find this is quite immersive, especially now I understand the binaural sound model.  My playing is, let's be clear, utter beginner level, so fine nuances are not really an issue.  But I'm a techie and I also don't want to learn to play in a way that won't work well later on ( maybe on a keyboard that does use the note-off midi command ).  And this issue has helped me a lot in getting my head around some things and more involved in learning.  Your comments were helpful.

I'm space constrained to 61-keys, which you guys might find rather limiting ( but as a beginner, no such issue ).  As I gather from reading that starting at age 50 means I'll probably never develop the muscles etc. needed for a "real" piano keyboard, I suspect semi-weighed is the best I'll end up using.  So at present I think the el-cheapo 61-key velocity sensitive model I have will do me fine.  On the rare occassions I do play well ( by my standards ) it does seem to deliver.  Which won't stop me lusting after something "better" ( Nektar Impact LX88 has my eye at present - I heard good things about them ).

JCFelice :

As I have Stage I'm not quite certain if Standard has the option you mention.  My impression is that it has a global damper setting and not the three tabs you describe.  Anyhow Stage has not got it ( or I'm not seeing it ).  I think I'm effectively doing something similar if not quite the same using the velcity-note-off map to change note-off velocity from 64.  Works for me so far, anyway.  A small note-off velocity has the effect of letting the sound die slowly, so a careful use of this gets you in the ballpark, so to speak.  Rather important to turn off reverb to check this, of course, or it gets rather confusing what you're hearing.

Does this mean you also have a keyboard that does not issue "proper" note-off messages ?  I'd assumed from your many posts and demos that you would be blessed by the finest hardware known to man.  Or perhaps even the finest hardware is plagued by lazy software developers or, more likely, software developers who are constrained by having to match out-dated standards ? :-)

StephenG

sjgcit wrote:

Thanks to both Jake Johnson and jcfelice88keys for your posts.

<...>

JCFelice :

<...>
Does this mean you also have a keyboard that does not issue "proper" note-off messages ?  I'd assumed from your many posts and demos that you would be blessed by the finest hardware known to man.  Or perhaps even the finest hardware is plagued by lazy software developers or, more likely, software developers who are constrained by having to match out-dated standards ? :-)

Hello Mr. Sjgcit,

My keyboard happens to be an original Roland A-80 mother keyboard that I purchased new in ... drum roll, please ... 1990.  Yes, I use a 26 year old keyboard to make my demos for Pianoteq!  As such, the default note-off velocity for my Roland, and for most other keyboards of which I am aware, is a value of 64.

Regarding my demos:
At age 63, I have been playing piano for sixty (60) years, and wanted to be a concert pianist since early childhood.  Alas, that didn't happen because I chose the engineering field in order to make a decent living for myself, wife and daughter.  Throughout my engineering career, I never stopped playing the piano (and classical pipe organ) and learning new repertoire.  True, as one gets older, a person cannot learn as quickly as a younger person is able to do; however, what older musicians do possess ... is motivation to keep going.  It also helps that I have been a professional piano tuner since the early 1970's, so I know a few things about how the insides of acoustic pianos actually work. 

Stating up front that I am not on Modartt's payroll, I will gladly state that Pianoteq is the only virtual piano software that allows me to express my music in a way that most approximates a real piano.  The nuances you hear in my demos are achieved by playing the software like a real instrument.

Hope this helps,

Cheers,

Joe

Note Off Velocity has (along with Polyphonic Aftertouch) always been a bit of a neglected part of the MIDI standard.

If I recall correctly, Sequential Circuits got it included in the MIDI standard because the optical sensing technology they were using in their Prophet T8 keyboard made it just as easy to measure Note Off velocity and Note On... however the vast majority of manufacturers in the 80s didn't have a way to implement it (indeed in those days, even getting a keyboard with Note On velocity was a big deal!) ... most devices just sent Note On Velocity = Zero to indicate a note off.

This led to a situation where few synth architectures had any modulation routing that "did anything" with Note Off velocity, and of course this goes in a bit of a vicious circle - few people have instruments that respond to Note Off velocity so few develop a playing style or create synth sounds which respond to it.

Furthermore, I'm far from convinced that some of the more recently 21st century controllers that implement Note Off velocity (eg all those Chinese CME keyboards) do so in any sensible way, that's calibrated to match useful playing styles.

Nor am I hugely sure what Pianoteq does with Note Offs in its model (I'd love to hear more info about it) -
but it's undoubtedly a way that can be used to enhance 'realism' if done right.  I'd wager it's down there in the last 2 or 3% of things to make it convincing, but every little helps.