Topic: Speaking of Speakers:

I wanted to get a second set of speakers in order that I could take my Linux powered Pianoteq Pro and Casio PX-150 to a friend's house without the need to lug my speakers along.  My friend has a pair of Bose Companion II's that are good and perhaps better than what I have, but lack a bottom end without a powered subwolfer.  I looked on Craig's list for a subwolfer, and one guy was selling a heavy duty JBL subwolfer that he said was 10" in size but seemed a lot bigger by the size of the case.

I did not like the sound at all.  The bass was just too boomy.   The speakers that I was previously using were a set of Altec Lansing powered computer speakers with I believe a 4" subwolfer.

I rejected the big JBL and instead bought a Logitec z523 set at the local commputer store.

http://www.logitech.com/en-us/product/s...23?crid=47

While these speakers sounded superb playing mp3's on my phone. They were not good with the Pianoteq as the bass again was too boomy and the treble too bright.  So I returned them immediately.

I ended up buying a set of Logitec z323's which are compartively cheap.  They lack power, nevertheless they are completely adequate for my living room with the volume set at 50% and the computer volume at around 75% and the Pianoteq volume reduced or set to -6 decibels.

http://www.logitech.com/en-us/product/s...23?crid=47

The piano sound is extremely realistic in my opinion.  My conclusion is that too large a bass speaker will destroy the pianistic character of the Pianoteq voice.  With a small 4" subwolfer, you get a solid bottom end with excellant bass overtones which are very characteristic of a parlour grand.  Pounding on the bass keys brings out the upper partials almost exactly as is the case with an accoustic piano.

My conclusion, you don't have to spend a fortune on large powerful speakers to have a great sounding Pianoteq instrument.  Speakers that are too large can end up actually degrading the character and realistic illusion of the instrument.

Last edited by GRB (21-07-2016 00:51)
Pianoteq Pro 7.x - Kubuntu Linux 19.10 - Plasma Desktop - Hamburg Steinway

Re: Speaking of Speakers:

Great point. And I agree, but partially…

I have gone from midsize studio monitors towards a relatively full-size studio monitor next to my piano. The nice thing about a larger, more capable speaker is that you can drive it lower and you never really are taxing it. Additionally, if you are going to play "alternative" instruments such as the electronic ones, or other virtual instruments such as organs, etc., there's nothing wrong with a little more capacity. A smaller speaker has to have a lot more throw in the speaker element to produce louder sound – this frequently leads to distortion even just from the physical difficulties of getting the speaker element moving quickly and with great amplitude, and then stopping it again. On the other hand, a larger and more capable speaker has less distance that the speaker elements have to move in order to produce sound in the air, so larger speakers played at a lower volume may be better than smaller speakers that are driven a bit harder.

Additionally, and in the tone of this email, last night I took a subwoofer that I had unused and connected it to my piano set up. This was an 8 inch subwoofer costing about $190, new. I did not like it when I set it up to the piano – boomy base.

I removed it from my piano..

- David

Re: Speaking of Speakers:

dklein wrote:

Great point. And I agree, but partially…

I have gone from midsize studio monitors towards a relatively full-size studio monitor next to my piano. The nice thing about a larger, more capable speaker is that you can drive it lower and you never really are taxing it. Additionally, if you are going to play "alternative" instruments such as the electronic ones, or other virtual instruments such as organs, etc., there's nothing wrong with a little more capacity. A smaller speaker has to have a lot more throw in the speaker element to produce louder sound – this frequently leads to distortion even just from the physical difficulties of getting the speaker element moving quickly and with great amplitude, and then stopping it again. On the other hand, a larger and more capable speaker has less distance that the speaker elements have to move in order to produce sound in the air, so larger speakers played at a lower volume may be better than smaller speakers that are driven a bit harder.

Additionally, and in the tone of this email, last night I took a subwoofer that I had unused and connected it to my piano set up. This was an 8 inch subwoofer costing about $190, new. I did not like it when I set it up to the piano – boomy base.

I removed it from my piano..

I'm just referring to the character of the Pianoteq piano sound itself.  Obviously a pipe organ or a fat synth bass would benefit greatly from larger speakers, but interestingly the overtones of the bass strings of the Pianoteq are best with a rather small Subwolfer set-up.  Also all the various Pianoteq piano's are not equal with a specific speaker configuration.  My opinion is the average subwolfer is designed to produce the sound of thunder, earthquakes, and jet engine noise, not pianos.

Pianoteq Pro 7.x - Kubuntu Linux 19.10 - Plasma Desktop - Hamburg Steinway