Topic: buffer size of 16 or 32 samples is suboptimal, 64 is better, why?

I have a Core i& 6700T and a Scarlett 2i4 soundboard.
When I set the buffer size to less than 64 (for example 16 samples (0.4ms) I get a warning from Pianoteq app that the size of the buffer is suboptimal.
Clicking on "more info" I get a popup with this explanation:

"You should aim for a buffer size of 64 samples (or any other multiple of 64) for optimal resources usage.

This quantity depends on the ratio between the internal sample rate and the sound card sample rate.

If you keep the current buffer size, you will potentially underuse 75% of CPU power.

You can change the internal sample rate in the Perf panel."

Smaller buffer means less delay and my system sound perfectly even with a buffer of 16 samples, should I really avoid to set it smaller than 64 samples?
If so, can someone please explain better why?

Does this logic apply to other virtual piano programs too (like Kontakt) or I should increase it to 64 samples only for Pianoteq?

Re: buffer size of 16 or 32 samples is suboptimal, 64 is better, why?

64 samples is perfectly enough, really - you're getting a round-trip latency below 10 milliseconds with this, which means no human can really detect that (pianos themselves have their mechanics latency around the same, or perhaps even slightly higher). Anything lower and CPU starts working way too hard, and stability of audio output can be impacted.

Last edited by EvilDragon (29-06-2016 13:50)
Hard work and guts!