Topic: What TV/Monitor is not a sh... ?

I would like to ask if somebody knows  if they alredy invented a TV/monitor that is not a crap ?

I say crap cause I do not tolerate changes in contrast and color in very low angles, even minimal changes.
I also dislike lack of good fluidity during scenes of slow moviments on PC.

And I can't tolerate any monitor with dynamics range inferior to a CRT monitor. I just find disgusting the blow-up whites that are so usual in LCD-LED pannels, when bright, colors near White, became pure White due dynamics range limitation, or when contrast adjustment are raised just a little bit and make such blow out White even worse.

No kidding... Many times I use a good CRT TV to watch signed TV, as I can't accept such fails (quality retrocess in some terms) of LCD technology.

If 21 century already have created a decent display, without such disturbing deffects, I would like to know, otherwise I will keeping watching TV on a CRT model.

Last edited by Beto-Music (10-05-2016 01:51)

Re: What TV/Monitor is not a sh... ?

I used to have the same problem. I tried to buy a screen from Curry's / PC-Word in UK and had three attempts, with Acer, Logik?, and something else! All of them suffer from bleeding and intensive tint when I just slightly moved aside. I ended up buying a cheap screen from a friend who was just getting rid of computer stuff he was collecting for years for just about £20 and this is the best choice I made.

The monitor I bough is ViewSonic. I also work on Dells at work. They are not for professionals but are good enough for me; I am music related person not a graph designer. Based on my (little) experience I would suggest to start with any of the screens I have suggested. They should not be expensive.

On the other hand, you may be thinking of something like LaCie or EIZO, screens dedicated for professional graphic designers. They would be of very high quality and you certainly won't suffer from anything you mentioned. Unfortunately, they are expensive and most likely will be an overkill

I'm very happy with my two 24" Dell U2415.

Hard work and guts!

Everytime I went to a store and ask the seller for a TV without distortions, without blow-up whites (result of sh... dynamics range) and equal image in any angle, I end up saying:  "No way, there still no decent TV available, no models here please me, sorry."

For me if a modern TV is worse in any aspect, comparin to a CRT, then is not good enough.

The most disgusting thing to me is to watch something with a brigth colors that was destroyed, becaming blow-pure mass of pure white. I just don't understand how people can tolerate that. For me it's a abomination. 

I was waiting that someone could tell me a model that do not kill bright colors making it into pure White, and that keepvery  homogen quality in low angles.  maybe what is good for yours eyes is not good to my eyes.

4K TVs... it can have 8K resolution and a 100 inch screen, but it will be just a piece of crap for me if contrast, dynamics range and and quality in low angles it's not realygood.

Should I make a youtube vídeo challenging all TV manufactures in the would to show a TV that please me???
Sometimes I seriously really believe such TV do not exist yet in LCD-LED(backlight)  world.

Last edited by Beto-Music (10-05-2016 21:01)

If you're looking for monitors that have a wide viewing angle, consider purchasing an IPS panel. They are vastly superior to the "normal" LCD panels in this regard.

The main drawbacks are that they are a bit more expensive, though at smaller sizes the price shouldn't be that much more than their TN counterparts. They also draw a bit more power from the wall. But that's probably not a huge concern for you as these monitors don't use that much power to begin with, especially when compared to CRT's.

The one I'm using is a DELL S2340M, I paid $180 for it 3 years ago. Unfortunately, it's no longer in production so the price has gone up a bit (for no good reason). A quick search on amazon returned many good options, I think this one looks promising: http://www.amazon.com/Acer-R240HY-bidx-...ywords=IPS

Last edited by Khoa (10-05-2016 23:16)

Thanks Khoa.

But even IPS do not have decente dynamics range, and also explode bright nuances making it pure white, if you increase contrast a bit, and sometimes even without adjust contrast.  It can look glossy, but the lack od tonalities near white piss me off. If you low contrast to allow nuances to appear, the image looks fadded.

In very low angles IPS is also homogeneous, but became somewhat darker.

Last edited by Beto-Music (11-05-2016 19:53)

My Samsung plasma TV has amazing colors and contrast at all angles. I get many comments about it from LED/LCD owners. I haven't seen one suitable for a pc monitor yet though. A regular sized plasma tv is hard enough to find these days. A real shame because they are fantastic. I read somewhere that they were mostly discontinued because the profit margins were higher on led/lcd tv's.

Thanks for the comment

But plasma displays suffer from burn out, creating fixed darker áreas or something like that.
And are "pricy".

shubertliszt wrote:

My Samsung plasma TV has amazing colors and contrast at all angles. I get many comments about it from LED/LCD owners. I haven't seen one suitable for a pc monitor yet though. A regular sized plasma tv is hard enough to find these days. A real shame because they are fantastic. I read somewhere that they were mostly discontinued because the profit margins were higher on led/lcd tv's.

Beto-Music wrote:

Thanks for the comment

But plasma displays suffer from burn out, creating fixed darker áreas or something like that.
And are "pricy".

shubertliszt wrote:

Burnout is largely an LCD manufacturers pushed phenomenon. Yes it can happen but do so research into the length of time it will take to happen. Plasma screens are by and large better than LCD but suffer from two shortcomings - moving them requires a high degree of care and the aforesaid burnout.

Most modern IPS panels with proper 3x8-bit colour support from the major manufacturers should qualify. I still use a fairly old HP ZR22W and even that's pretty good: better colour than new TNs.

The most important things to look for are IPS (or similar technology, not TN!) panel and full 24-bit colour support. There certainly are a lot of crap monitors out there and a lot of smoke-and-mirrors marketing hype. For the most part you should ignore the specs and let your eyes be the judge.

Last edited by SteveLy (14-05-2016 17:49)
3/2 = 5

Thank you all once again.

Plasm burn out happens more often if you watch things with black bars, or White bars, presente for a long period, like movies with diferente ratio aspect, or TV News with a área of image with a constant image froze (symbol, etc...).

24 bit support creat more variances of colors, but do not improve dynamics range itself.  When I say dynamics range I do not refer to bit depth, not the number of variances of shades, but how far is the "distance" from a black and a White tone the display can handle. These images give a idea of what I mean:

PunBB bbcode test

PunBB bbcode test

The CRT TVs do not explode bright áreas when you increase contrast.
I prefer SD resolution with fine dynamics range from a CRT I Have, over the HD definition with poor dynamics range of most LCD TVs.

I'm only using a LED-LCD monitor due space and energy saving (my country had some problems with electricity generation ) and because my CRT monitors got old and technical problems.

Last edited by Beto-Music (14-05-2016 16:10)

Again... I went in two stores and talked with the sellers, asked to check only TVs with IPS panell.

Even the most recente IPS panell of the best TV they had was not good.  They can keep the color temperature, and do not distort in one área in relation to the other (corners, middle and center). But the image overal get darker even if I went 25 degree to the sides.  This is not acceptable, it's still a sh... crap, cause it distorts image, make it quite darker.

And all models still kills bright tonalities near White tones, making bright portions dull and ugly.
Even the 4K TVs, curved TVs, they all were ugly.

They will make 8K TV and still keep the s...crap dynamics range, killing bright tonalities, and with the distortion of image if we move just a bit to the sides of screen.

I do not accept that and I challenge any LCD (LED backlight) manufacture in the world to show me a model that it's not a crap.
LCD it's poor, limited, and there is no fix to this. That's it.

Last edited by Beto-Music (21-06-2016 23:02)

Well then, continue using CRTs and be happy... I'm perfectly fine with IPS panels.

Hard work and guts!

I bet you consider Macdonald's Big Mac a good ant health food too....  Oohnn please...

I just can't understand how people can be so blind about dynamics range. How can watch a scene on TV with a bright wall or bright sky with clouds, and accept the muddy look of blown out tonalities, lost near white becaming a muddy base flat color.
Or when a actor have just some bright reflex on face that in LCD it beacem a white hole.

I also can't accept people call HD boadcast a advanced quality system with cristaline images, but when a actor with freckle on face move/raotate the head slowly, and the compression makes the freckle disapeear .

I just hate lies.
People should be more critical and not just accept everything, every crap media and marketing push down the throat.

For example, people who buy MONITOT-TV, a monitor with monitor contrast that accept TV signal, and offer a faded washed image for TV signal (monitors and TV displays have different contrast standarts), and use it like TV.
They accept to watch a full crap image, faded washed and at same time blow out in bright tones, a repulsive image. They accept because hear that's modern, but looks just like sh...

EvilDragon wrote:

Well then, continue using CRTs and be happy... I'm perfectly fine with IPS panels.

Last edited by Beto-Music (21-06-2016 23:16)

Beto-Music wrote:

I bet you consider Macdonald's Big Mac a good ant health food too....  Oohnn please...

LOL, what an assumption. I absolutely hate McD...

The truth is simple: we're using LCDs because they take up much less space than CRTs and draw much less power, too. It's as simple as that. It's not the first time in history that something not perfect technically has become commonplace (anybody remember VHS vs Betamax?)... Also I think that 99% of people don't even know what the hell you're talking about, and/or can't see the difference, so...

Last edited by EvilDragon (22-06-2016 09:00)
Hard work and guts!

EvilDragon wrote:

LOL, what an assumption. I absolutely hate McD...

At least we agree in something, that Macdonalds it's a crap. Unless you tell me it's feeding more people than on Earth than normal food, as it probably made use of meat from animals killed on road and fat from liposuction and tumors from hopital's trash.

EvilDragon wrote:

The truth is simple: we're using LCDs because they take up much less space than CRTs and draw much less power, too. It's as simple as that. It's not the first time in history that something not perfect technically has become commonplace (anybody remember VHS vs Betamax?)...

It's not just much the technical fails, but the lies. Media push digital world as cristaline and perfect, but we get crap. IPS is promoted as a perfect for any view angle, but it get dark even if you look only some degrees after front views.

And anoys the fact that nobody talk about the sh... contrast boosting, that killed most details (tonalities) near white tone.  And I bet the HDR TVs may have the same probleme, but in smaller degree, cause in part this probleme it's not only fault of poor dynamics range, but also fault of dumb digital adjustments way of work.
In a CRT when you increase contrast you do not just increase the values near White (like Photoshop contrast slider adjust), but you also increase the intensity of the maximum light intensity (pure white) the CRT is delivering, and so the details near white do not get lost as pure white mess, cause the maximum white value was also increased
And in LCD/LED TVs the intensity of the light emited it's the backlight adjustment (LEDs os fluorecent ) and the contrast it's another adjustment. If people who designed such craps had brains they would create a smart adjustment, combining the backlight intensity and the contrast, to reduce such colateral effect of lost of bright tonalities.  But appers they like to promote the lustruous look of exagerated contrast adjust, even if it make bright things look like sh... flat white.

EvilDragon wrote:

Also I think that 99% of people don't even know what the hell you're talking about, and/or can't see the difference, so...

I made two types test on web, about perception of colors and tonalities. And I got a very good score, perfect score in one type,  and in other I tried twice geting near perfect one time and perfect in a second try.  The first was like a test for daltonism, but many times more difficult as the colors was much more closer than in a daltonism  test (color blindness test).  The second type was a test to put in order (like a rainbow) about a hundred of color cubes of different but very close colors.
It was like I had a view for color that 3% or less of people had.

But...   To see the lack of tonalities near white it's not necessary to be one of the 3% people with very good chromatic view. How people can ignore a scene on a film, on LCD-LED display, that shows a actor with a white spot shining like was a white paint stain, as result of blow-up of white tones?

Sorry...  I think most people are brainwashed to belive someting is great just because marketing hammered that on their heads and because they feel important that finally had aquired something media told people they need to have to feel dignity.

If you push a mono sound with poor frequency, and display it in a case or hack with a appearence of a expansive Hi-end device, and put too pretty girls by each side of the machine, telling it's the latest advancement, people will hear the crap sound and be convinced that's a advance that they need to buy.
Somehow this already happened, as example of the typical mp3 sound files(despite be stereo) poor than a good vinyl recording.  And it didn't even required the pretty girls...

Okay, I admit some few MP3 are very well made and with very little compression, and sounds okay.

Piano is of of the few things that consumers knows to judge, like in this forum, really  helping making the product each time closer to perfection.

Last edited by Beto-Music (22-06-2016 22:30)