Topic: How to get an equal-pitched keyboard?

In the last days I purchased the PRO version which allows detailed overtone assignment.
I would like to compare same keynotes with different shaped overtone spectra.
So I need a keyboard with the same pitch for each of the 88 keys (for example C1 on every key).
In the internet a .scl file (scala file) like that seems not to exist.
Can anyone help me? Or is there a trick in the PT software to create an equal-pitched keyboard scala?
Thanks in advance,

Flieger

Re: How to get an equal-pitched keyboard?

You could possibly do it by a MIDI mapper to map all notes to the one, not sure what's available in software but I am certain their will be something. A hardware solution could be to use a MIDISolutions event processor between a keyboard with standard MIDI 5pin out and the computer/interface.

Probably not the shortest solution, but a scala file such as this example with the desired frequency repeated 88 times, along with the "88 notes scale" mapping in Pianoteq does the trick:

!
same freq
!

Thanks for the two answers.
@rAC: Mapping will not work. The MIDISolution device will only reassign each of the 127 keys to a single one. I need a complete new scala with equal pitch of the different keys.
@Gilles: Thanks, but I am not familar with the Scala program. Just now I have installed the Scala program together with two other supporting gtk-programs. Scala seems to work at my W7-laptop, I can open it. But I have no idea which windows I have to open to create the wished scala file and where to paste your algorhythm. If its not a waste of your time, could you describe it in a foolproof way to me, how to create, save and export the wished equal-pitched scala to PT? (I am not experienced with computer programs and secondly not a good englishspeaker, so I could easiely waste days for trial and error with this problem.)
@all: For the first sight my request maybe look somehow exotic because you cannot play music with this equal-pitched scale, but I think sooner or later it can become useful for others to compare the same note with different overtone spectra. It would be pity not to use this tool. In view of the great poosibilities of PT its a must-have for me.
Thank you,

Flieger

You do NOT need to have the Scala program installed at all!

Just create a text file that is constructed as Gilles posted above, then save it as .scl file. Then load that into Pianoteq.

Hard work and guts!

You don't need to use the Scala software, those files are straight ASCII files that can be produced by a text editor. I uploaded the example for 440 Hz in the Other files section as http://www.forum-pianoteq.com/uploads.php?file=440.scl

Just download it, drag it into Pianoteq and select the "88 notes scale" Keymap. If you want some other note, just edit the file with the corresponding frequency (available for instance in the Spectrum profile Note Edit panel)

Thank you everybody! I got it.

Flieger

Gilles wrote:

You don't need to use the Scala software, those files are straight ASCII files that can be produced by a text editor. I uploaded the example for 440 Hz in the Other files section as http://www.forum-pianoteq.com/uploads.php?file=440.scl

Just download it, drag it into Pianoteq and select the "88 notes scale" Keymap. If you want some other note, just edit the file with the corresponding frequency (available for instance in the Spectrum profile Note Edit panel)

I'm a little bit miffed.  To me it's not about one note, but about how various intervals work with each other.  What will be the end result of this one note piano?

Pianoteq Pro 7.x - Kubuntu Linux 19.10 - Plasma Desktop - Hamburg Steinway

Sorry for bothering again, but it doesnt work. Here some of my trials:
1) I created a scl file like Gilles posted above with 88times of 440.0 .
    The result: Keys no 0-21 let sound an (some lower) F1, keys no 22-109 let sound an A1, keys no 110-127 sounding (some higher) C2sharp.
2) I changed the keymap from 88 notes scale to Default mapping (linear) to test what happens.
    Result: Keys 0-60 sounding F1, keys 61-127 sounding A1
3) I changed the 1)-configuration through replacing the 440.0 with 110.0 to get a 2 octaves lower tone. Result: Keys 0-21 sounding A1flat, keys 22-109 sounding A1,
    keys 110-127 sounding A1sharp. NO expected frequency lowering happened!!!
4) I tested different replacements (replacing the 88-value by 127).
5) I wondered if the "same freq"- row in the .scl-file would be redundant because after it all the frequencies of the 88 or 127 keys appeared. So I removed this line.
    With 127 Keys it worked, with 88 keys it worked not.....etc.
6)MOST IMPORTANT and disappointing: The thing I hoped to achieve didnt work. It was not possible in tne note edit mode to create different string lengths,
    overtone spectra etc. for two neighbour keys with the same pitch tune. Paradoxically for some parameters like detune or key release noise it was possible.

I dont want to waste my time with trial-and-error-games as well as yours with reading resultless postings.
I think I made clear my aim and ask again: Is there someone who can explain me what the values after and between the (!) in the scala file do mean and how to program the frequencies and position of the notes at the keyboard. And how to get a keyboard with SAME PITCH tuned strings on EVERY key but the ability to have DIFFERENT string length, overtone spectra, strike points etc. on EACH SINGLE key.

Thanks&sorry, Flieger.

! in Scala file means comment - it doesn't matter what comes after it.

This is interesting, though - I have tried the above file (88 values of 440.0 Hz) in Madrona Labs Aalto, that also supports Scala, and the results are similar - a few repeating pitches. Weird!

Last edited by EvilDragon (02-06-2016 12:27)
Hard work and guts!

Sorry, I made a mistake in understanding the scala format! Values with a period are in cents and not a frequency in Hz... Don't know why it works as it does for the value 440.0 (meaning about 4 semi-tones) but the reasoning is wrong. Forget about my example then...