Topic: Oscilloscope. E1.

All D major! )
Suddenly it became interesting to know what is the difference of the synthesized sound from the living. I compared notes waveform E1. In E1 single string and no unnecessary interactions. I used the sound recording ("Pianowave Steinway B Samples") and Pianoteq Model B. The picture shows the grand piano sound on top, bottom - Pianoteq.

http://i.piccy.info/i9/481f887f244dedbdb8b2dab0684ffd7a/1461527158/35103/1028236/Vel16_E1_L_E1_pianoteq_R_LL_LR_mono__500.jpghttp://i.piccy.info/a3/2016-04-24-19-45/i9-9729455/500x313-r/i.gif

You may notice that the sound of the piano is more spacious. Sound Pianoteq contains a lot of "extra" vibrations. Either frequency no properly synchronized. It hears a rumor: the timbre of sounding splits into separate sounds in a long sound. It was interesting to hear some overtones compared in greater detail. I recorded a video comparison with the use of an oscilloscope. The height and disharmony corrected using Tuner Entropy. It was necessary to use a strong compression in order to be able to see more length of the sound. At the beginning of the sample is playing, then - Pianoteq. (When recording is often my computer slows down and the image twitches.)

https://youtu.be/27dAogKaAlU

You may notice that the piano is present in some power or reacting a certain way shifts the phase in the overtone (frequency of the sound wavers). This can be seen by comparing the sound of several harmonics simultaneously. More noticeable with the lower overtones(toward the end of the video). At the height of the piano harmonics exhibit interaction with each other. In Pianoteq they sound on flat frequencies throughout the sound. There are some unrecorded in the interaction model.  Not enough unifying force (the force that is magnetized phase to each other). The force that stirs frequency overtones, and combines the phases in a certain way. The overtones of the band's sound can be heard, which is manifested in a lower rate of timbre living instrument (the sound you can hear overtones manifestation of lower overtones), in Pianoteq in timbre appear higher overtones (the sound you can hear overtones manifestation of higher harmonics). Maybe somewhere in the formula confused character. At the end of the video waveform is vaguely reminiscent of the planets or the oscillation of electrons around the nucleus. Perhaps the description of the sound the piano is similar to the calculation of the orbits of the planets some star system). Overall impressive how much everything else is identical in comparison to the piano. This is amazing!

Last edited by scherbakov.al (24-04-2016 22:31)

Re: Oscilloscope. E1.

What I notice most is that the beating in Pianoteq is much, much faster. At least twice as fast on most pairs of partials? (I'm not sure why the beating is present on a single string when listening to two partials, but it's clearly there.)

You cannot visually assess from an amplitude vs time graph how a signal will sound or how similar two signals are. This is because the ear is insensitive to phase at all but the lowest frequencies, but it's the phase that most strongly influences the appearance of the time-domain signal. Lissajous curves (like the ones in the youtube video) are also misleading for similar reasons and are sometimes misused. Visualisation in the frequency domain (or quasi-frequency/time domain, e.g., a time-dependent spectral profile) is more useful but not without its pitfalls.

3/2 = 5

https://youtu.be/4AhqKPLf2nk
Suddenly there was a phase offset between the left and right channels. And also there was a phase of the sound in overtones Pianoteq in opposition.
The ear is sensitive to the phase change. Related to this is the feeling of pitch. The perception of integrity and pitch.
http://clippu.net/threads/tembr.967/
(Here the phases described experiment)

It seems to me that the whole thing in the frame , a large cast-iron frame .

Last edited by scherbakov.al (26-04-2016 01:04)

Helmholtz wrote that phase is inaudible, but later writers say that this is only true for sine waves or sounds with few partials. When there are multiple inharmonic partials, particularly, phase differences are audible. Sorry not to have access to the modern quotes right now, but I think the general agreement, now, is that for a piano note, which has both many inharmonic partials, and has two to three, slightly out of unison, strings sounding at once, and with the phase of each string rapidly changing as it bounces off each termination point, the phase is not just audible, but a major component of the timbre. (And there are the bridges to consider. I get lost there. They serve as termination points? Not exactly, since the strings vibrate on both sides of the bridges? And it is the vibrations of the soundboard that we hear, for the most part. On various parts of the soundboard, which itself responds with differing amounts of impedance as it thickens and thins. And then there is the phase change where these various thicknesses and thinesses of wood meet the curving rim...)

Still don't understand the difference in the beat rate that is so audible on these mono-string recordings of two partials. What's going on there? I do understand why there is beating. I don't understand why the beat rates differ so much between the piano note and the modelled note. Is the variation in the pitch of the partials that wide? If so, wouldn't the timbre of the notes sound still more different? The beat rate is much, much faster between partials in the model. Sounds at least twice as fast. Cant imagine how that is possible.

(I still want to talk more about the regularity of the beats in the modelled notes, compared to the "acoustic" notes, too. And the sustain time of the lower partials.)

Very valuable discussion going on. (Only by getting lost can one get found?)

Last edited by Jake Johnson (26-04-2016 03:32)

scherbakov.al wrote:

Suddenly there was a phase offset between the left and right channels. ... The ear is sensitive to the phase change.

I was thinking of mono sources. For stereo, a phase difference amounts to a relative delay, which the brain does process as directional information e.g. But that's a different thing. Try a tone say A440 composed of a pure sine fundamental + a few overtones. How such a tone sounds is completely independent of the phases of the overtones.

Also if a phase shift occurs while you're listening, that's another thing altogether: that effectively creates anharmonic content.

Last edited by SteveLy (26-04-2016 07:05)
3/2 = 5

Back to the the subject matter at hand:  Some explanations why the amplitude vs. time traces might be different.

I know of no definitive cause for the difference  in traces between piano sources, but here are a few musings on this subject.

Yes, of course, one source is a digital recording of a Model B Steinway and the other source is a Pianoteq virtual model of a 7' Steinway studio grand piano. 

Strike point:
Choosing a different strike point along a given string, virtual or otherwise, will give rise to emphasizing and suppressing any number of upper harmonics.  For example, many piano makers desire the strike point to be one-seventh the distance from the end of a string, so as to force that 7th harmonic to be suppressed.

Who's to say that the strike point of the Pianoteq note was precisely the same strike point as the piano used in the sample library?

Hammer Hardness:
Harder hammers give rise to brighter tone, including overtones ... especially overtones of notes in the lowest piano octave.

Hammer Mass:
In the virtual world, any value of hammer mass is possible; it will change the amplitude ratio of fundamental frequency to amplitudes of the natural harmonic series.

String Mass and Tension:
Of course, this comparison is of the same note E1, but who's to say the Pianoteq virtual string is identical to the given sampled piano?

Vibrational Mode of Piano String:
The nature of an agraffe in the grand piano's soundboard bridge is to cause the vibrational mode to change from purely vertical (as in struck from beneath in an upward direction) to one that has a horizontal component to it as well.  We do not know whether the sampled piano was taken before- or after the string had gone into the horizontal component.  An experienced listener can hear the change in the overtone series that results from the string's vibrational mode with a horizontal component to it.

I submit that vibrational mode of a string is constantly changing, in the case of Pianoteq -- but might be a looped and relatively unchanging snippet from the sampled piano library.  Why so?  That's because it's harder to loop the sound of a vibrating string whose vibrational mode includes vertical- and horizontal components.  (It's easier to hear the looping point unless a relatively unchanging mode is sampled.)

Food for thought.

Cheers,

Joe

Last edited by jcfelice88keys (26-04-2016 07:45)

Joe, one of your phrases confuses me. You wrote about the differences in the "amplitude vs. time traces." Are you referring to what I called the difference in "beat rates"?

I'm also now a little confused about the two recordings of notes that we are discussing. Was one from a sample library? Somehow, I thought that one recording was "live," taken from a real piano. Can the OP clear this up for us? For yes, a looped sample is going to throw us for a, well...

Last edited by Jake Johnson (26-04-2016 13:46)

Jake Johnson wrote:

Joe, one of your phrases confuses me. You wrote about the differences in the "amplitude vs. time traces." Are you referring to what I called the difference in "beat rates"?

I'm also now a little confused about the two recordings of notes that we are discussing. Was one from a sample library? Somehow, I thought that one recording was "live," taken from a real piano. Can the OP clear this up for us? For yes, a looped sample is going to throw us for a, well...

Hello Jake,

According to the original statement in this thread, the non-Pianoteq sound came from "Pianowave Steinway B samples" rather than a live recording from a real acoustic Model B at hand.  While this might sound as though I am being picky, it is possible that any samples from a piano library may have been processed with noise reduction, compression or EQ.

Regarding the trace, I refer to the top photograph (oscilloscope) in the original thread.  The author also mentioned "the timbre of sounding splits into separate sounds in a long sound."  By this, I believe he has heard the virtual Pianoteq string change from purely from a vertical vibrational mode to one that has a horizontal component to it, i.e., he is now hearing the effects of the soundboard resonance.  It is very possible that the soundboard resonance (an its own associated overtones) might be the origin of those extra lines observed in the oscilloscope trace.

Cheers,

Joe

Last edited by jcfelice88keys (26-04-2016 18:24)

Ah! Thanks. I guess I could have checked the original post. Yes, that changes everything, if we are hearing a looped sample, without even knowing the loop point and the what kind of processing might have been applied--a low pass filter, for example.

The following thoughts emerged:
1. Communication sound amplitude with frequency. Since a small change in frequency is manifested as phase shift. Accordingly, the connection with the phase amplitude. Fluctuating transition from one to another. It looks like the effect when whirling skater pulls in his hands and begins to spin faster.
2. Swinging nodes and anti-nodes along a vibrating string and relative to each other. Since it is an overtone oscillation of several parts of the string, then the rocking nodes and anti-nodes, they may be subject to change in amplitude and phase with respect to each other. Perhaps with this and related effect of changes in the composition of overtones when playing repeated notes on the open string.
3. Manifestation swinging phase shift between the left and right channel. Perhaps this is due to the direction of rotation of the vibrating string.
4. The presence of some common, unifying force that connects, magnetizing phase of the overtones together. A kind of gravity between the phases of the overtones. (At the piano Lissajous trajectory lines resemble the trajectory around the sun of planets, planets from Pianoteq trajectory without star .. Fancy comparison)))
5. Often there are overtones in Pianoteq sounding completely opposite. This creates a feeling of extra sound an octave higher. If this occurs in the sound of overtone, that phantom sound may be different from the other notes and overtones cause strangeness tone.
6. How it manifests itself vibration cast iron frame? More precisely vibration system: cast iron frame, all the strings. It's a massive facility with a large internal stress. Perhaps the vibration spectrum extends from the fluctuations of a few seconds up to a much higher than the highest strings .. I personally, after the piano, I want to add a sympathetic resonance when I sit down at Pianoteq. Can frame as the sun around which everything spins?)

Last edited by scherbakov.al (27-04-2016 16:27)

I know for certain that my ears are sensitive to the absolute phase of at least some asymmetrical (EDIT: and low frequency) waveforms. I.e - I can hear the difference between the original, and an inverted (180 degree shifted) version.  It took me a very, very long time to work out what was going on.  I have read that this is normal - some people are sensitive, and others aren't.

Greg.

Last edited by skip (27-04-2016 12:18)

Listening to the piano impression that the cast-iron frame makes a sound of what is happening inside the string with the external vibrations. This adds a "nasal" tone and high frequency "hiss" and shine. The steinway is a combination between a cast-iron frame and the outer casing without touching the deck. The outer housing is a cavity for a frame? So interesting..

Last edited by scherbakov.al (27-04-2016 22:47)

Jake Johnson wrote:

Helmholtz wrote that phase is inaudible, but later writers say that this is only true for sine waves or sounds with few partials. When there are multiple inharmonic partials, particularly, phase differences are audible. Sorry not to have access to the modern quotes right now, but I think the general agreement, now, is that for a piano note, which has both many inharmonic partials, and has two to three, slightly out of unison, strings sounding at once, and with the phase of each string rapidly changing as it bounces off each termination point, the phase is not just audible, but a major component of the timbre. (And there are the bridges to consider. I get lost there. They serve as termination points? Not exactly, since the strings vibrate on both sides of the bridges? And it is the vibrations of the soundboard that we hear, for the most part. On various parts of the soundboard, which itself responds with differing amounts of impedance as it thickens and thins. And then there is the phase change where these various thicknesses and thinesses of wood meet the curving rim...)

Still don't understand the difference in the beat rate that is so audible on these mono-string recordings of two partials. What's going on there? I do understand why there is beating. I don't understand why the beat rates differ so much between the piano note and the modelled note. Is the variation in the pitch of the partials that wide? If so, wouldn't the timbre of the notes sound still more different? The beat rate is much, much faster between partials in the model. Sounds at least twice as fast. Cant imagine how that is possible.

(I still want to talk more about the regularity of the beats in the modelled notes, compared to the "acoustic" notes, too. And the sustain time of the lower partials.)

Very valuable discussion going on. (Only by getting lost can one get found?)

I think it was a grade school teacher who demonstrated that phase change is audible as follows;
Strike a tuning fork, hold it by the tang fairly close to one ear and slowly spin it around.
The same tone comes from each tine, the phase is different and you can CLEARLY hear the phase changes as you slowly spin it.
It is a fairly pure tone, i.e. partials shouldn't come into it.

That was a LONG time ago, so maybe it was a demonstration of something else

Last edited by aandrmusic (09-05-2016 16:29)

aandrmusic wrote:

Strike a tuning fork, hold it by the tang fairly close to one ear and slowly spin it around.
The same tone comes from each tine, the phase is different and you can CLEARLY hear the phase changes as you slowly spin it.

Probably a varying cancellation effect between the two tines.

Somehow, I'm imagining someone sitting between two tuning forks being revolved by machines. A torture device? A path to enlightenment? A late-night infomercial for a new way to clear sinuses?

OrganoPleno wrote:
aandrmusic wrote:

Probably a varying cancellation effect between the two tines.

Surely that IS the difference in phase between two very similar signals reaching the ONE ear ?
It is about the simplest and "purist" experiment that shows it.
Almost every other experience includes reflected sound and (as we all KNOW) sound reflectors change timbre.

Spinning the tuning fork will produce a chorus type effect. Yes, you can think of it as two phase or (equivalently) frequency modulated (FM) signals combined. Because of the Doppler effect the frequency of the vibration (pitch of the sound) heard will increase for the tine moving towards your ear and decrease for the tine moving away (like it happens for a train whistle or ambulance siren moving past you). If you could listen to the tines on their own you'd hear an oscillating pitch, i.e., a vibrato.

A very interesting thing happens when these two FM signals combine at your eardrum: the FM completely disappears and becomes pure AM (amplitude modulation) of the intrinsic fixed pitch tone of the tuning fork. The two perfect vibratos add up to a pure tremolo. 

http://s6.postimg.org/gf2kmezsx/spinnin...g_fork.png

Last edited by SteveLy (14-05-2016 14:27)
3/2 = 5

SteveLy wrote:

Spinning the tuning fork will produce a chorus type effect. Yes, you can think of it as two phase or (equivalently) frequency modulated (FM) signals combined. Because of the Doppler effect the frequency of the vibration (pitch of the sound) heard will increase for the tine moving towards your ear and decrease for the tine moving away (like it happens for a train whistle or ambulance siren moving past you). If you could listen to the tines on their own you'd hear an oscillating pitch, i.e., a vibrato.

A very interesting thing happens when these two FM signals combine at your eardrum: the FM completely disappears and becomes pure AM (amplitude modulation) of the intrinsic fixed pitch tone of the tuning fork. The two perfect vibratos add up to a pure tremolo. 

http://s6.postimg.org/gf2kmezsx/spinnin...g_fork.png

On reflection "Spin" may have not been the best word for me to have chosen for the tuning fork experiment.
I had NOT meant a fast spin, merely a slow rolling of the tang between thumb and forefinger, a revolution or two per second.
Turning the fork at SLOW speed doesn't introduce the Doppler effect, it just illustrates that phase is audible.

SteveLy wrote:

the FM completely disappears and becomes pure AM (amplitude modulation) of the intrinsic fixed pitch tone of the tuning fork. The two perfect vibratos add up to a pure tremolo.

Nice illustration, thank you!

Just for interest, was it made with a spreadsheet-calculation? (the audio-editor audacity for example has no FM plugin to generate those waves).

aandrmusic wrote:

On reflection "Spin" may have not been the best word for me to have chosen for the tuning fork experiment.
I had NOT meant a fast spin, merely a slow rolling of the tang between thumb and forefinger, a revolution or two per second.
Turning the fork at SLOW speed doesn't introduce the Doppler effect, it just illustrates that phase is audible.

You'd still get subtle but audible tremolo effect. And you can still think of it as being due to the superposition of two very subtle equal and opposite Doppler shifts (too subtle to be audible if you could listen to one tine at a time). Or you can think of it as being due to small relative phase shifts. Mathematically the two are equivalent. Phase is not really audible though. If you listened to the tuning fork in two different fixed orientations (slightly different relative phases for the two sources), they would sound identical (except for a very small change in volume). You only hear the 1-2 Hz sinusoidal variation in the phases while the tuning fork is rotating. But anyway it's a two sources + one detector (ear) situation, which if carefully set up could theoretically result in strong enhancements or cancellations (not with a tuning fork but say two loudspeakers). That's not relevant to phases of a superposition of pure tones in a mono signal though, where one can't hear phase except at the lowest frequencies.

groovy wrote:

Nice illustration, thank you!

Just for interest, was it made with a spreadsheet-calculation? (the audio-editor audacity for example has no FM plugin to generate those waves).

It was made in Gnuplot, just typing explicit expressions in. The frequencies I chose to best illustrate what's happening. In a realistic scenario there would be a lot more difference in tremolo and tuning fork pitch frequencies and the Doppler shift would be a lot more subtle. But then the plot would be way too busy to see what's happening.

Last edited by SteveLy (16-05-2016 18:26)
3/2 = 5

SteveLy wrote:

It was made in Gnuplot, just typing explicit expressions in.

Ahh, thanks again!

There is no Doppler effect if you PAUSE the rotation of the tang.
It is possible to hear the phase difference - - separately and in addition to the changing of phase difference.
I don't regard the changing of phase difference as the Doppler effect - YMMV, etc.

Maybe string oscillation is a fractal? The infinite variety of self-similarity and harmony ..

Last edited by scherbakov.al (22-05-2016 13:03)