Topic: Creating an FXP that sounds like Klavins Una Corda

I was intrigued by the unique concept (one string per key) and the beautiful mellow sound of David Klavin's Una Corda (Native instrument created a sample library with it). 

http://www.native-instruments.com/en/pr...nstrument/

I do not feel the need to purchase it because I already have Pianoteq.  I do, however, wanted to create a similar sound using Pianoteq.  I don't feel I have the expertise and experience so I would like to ask for some guidance as to how to do it (e.g., which piano to start, which parameters to tweak...etc.)  The only thing I have in mind is to turn the unison width all the way down...

Of course, if there is anyone also intrigued by the concept and decided to create an FXP for it, please share it in the FXP corner!

Last edited by lo134 (19-05-2016 13:06)

Re: Creating an FXP that sounds like Klavins Una Corda

lo134 wrote:

I was intrigued by the unique concept (one string per key) and the beautiful mellow sound of David Klavin's Una Corda (Native instrument created a sample library with it). 

http://www.native-instruments.com/en/pr...nstrument/

I do not feel the need to purchase it because I already have Pianoteq.  I do, however, wanted to create a similar sound using Pianoteq.  I don't feel I have the expertise and experience so I would like to ask for some guidance as to how to do it (e.g., which piano to start, which parameters to tweak...etc.)  The only thing I have in mind is to turn the unison width all the way down...

Of course, if there is anyone also intrigued by the concept and decided to create an FXP for it, please share it in the FXP corner!

Hello Mr. lo134,

I watched the video associated with your link, and was essentially immediately able to reproduce it with Pianoteq.  How?  I modified the Concert Harp Dreamy preset in the following manner:  1) Reduced all hammer hardness values to their minimum values;  2)  reduced dynamic range slider to only 10dB; 3) Modified the spectrum harmonics to favor only the first, second and fourth harmonic -- reduced all other spectrum values to their minimum settings (each -15dB), and raised the first harmonic to +4dB and second harmonic to +2dB.

The above three actions have gotten me 90+% of the way to the audio sound track in your referenced link.  The remaining 5 to 10% may be achieved by modifying the impedance to lengthen the sound.

The reason I chose the Concert Harp within Pianoteq is because there is inherently only one string per note in a harp.  Moreover, the audio track in the associated video sounded more harplike than pianolike.

As a piano tuner, I chuckled at the blatant misinformation printed in the NI advertisement, specifically:  "... moving the hammers closer to the strings to further alter the sound."  Anyone who has played an upright piano (which means all of us, right?) knows that depressing the leftmost pedal is a non-functioning imitation of the left pedal in a grand piano.  Restated, an upright piano's left pedal only shifts the hammers closer to the strings, but does not alter the harmonic content in the way that a grand piano's left pedal shifts the entire keybed to the right, and a softer (less used) portion of the hammer contacts the strings in a grand piano.  Put still another way, the act of moving a hammer closer to a string before striking the string ... does nothing to the sound that we humans can perceive.

I also take strong exception to the advertisement's contradictory narrative that says something to the effect that, placing fabrics between the hammer and the strings is normally used to dampen the strings and soften the strings, BUT Frahm's cloth preparations [also placed between the hammers and strings] produce rich, percussive textures with ADDITIONAL overtones.

Back to the matter at hand, Pianoteq is able to mimic the una corda piano by using an una corda instrument (namely, the harp) and modifying its hammer hardness to soften the initial attack, and to minimize odd harmonics.

Enough of my rambling.

Cheers,

Joe

That's funny, I had the same idea as Joe to use the harp (for the same reasons). I didn't push it very far, but a useful trick to get that dreamy sound is to fix the harmonics pedal (flageolet) and then transpose an octave down to bring back the correct note.

That's simply brilliant Joe!  So intelligent, well thought out and clearly explained.  I can't wait to try it.  The only problem is that now I will be tempted to purchase the concert harp!

You are right, after reading your explanation the Una Corda definitely sounds more like a harp than a piano. 

Thank you so much.

Roger

Last edited by lo134 (19-05-2016 15:42)

Joe, please create an FXP.

Pianoteq 6 Std, Bluthner, Model B, Grotian, YC5, Hohner, Kremsegg #1, Electric Pianos. Roland FP-90, Windows 10 quad core, Xenyx Q802USB, Yamaha HS8 monitors, Audio Technica
ATH-M50x headphones.

beakybird wrote:

Joe, please create an FXP.

I'd gladly create an .fxp, except that it requires a harp license, which not everyone has.  If you'd prefer a regular piano .fxp, for every one I would submit, someone else would want it with a different piano base.  (And then, within each piano base, someone else would want the Daily preset or the Recording preset, etc. etc.)  So rather than flood the forum with .fxp's, I offer these suggestions for anyone to experiment with the piano base of their choice:

1)  Select your favorite piano, whether that is Model B, Blüthner, D4, K2m Kremsegg, etc. using your own personal favorite preset as a starting point.

2)  If a piano base is selected, move the Unison Width slider fully to the left -- to minimize detuning between adjacent strings of the same pitch.  Ignore this step if you have selected a Harp preset as your starting point.

3)  Slide all three Hammer Hardness sliders to their far left (i.e., minimum) positions.

4)  In the eight vertical Spectrum Profile sliders on the front page, reposition Slider #1 to +4dB, Slider #2 to +2dB, Leave Slider #4 at 0dB, and move all of the remaining sliders to -15dB, their lowest positions.

5) Since Step 4) above will reduce the overall volume of the piano, reduce the Dynamic Range slider to only 10dB, and upwardly adjust the Volume slider to taste -- loud enough but without going into overload distortion.

6) Optional:  Adjust the Soundboard's Impedance slider to taste -- in the event that the sustained sound is either too long or too short.

There you have it.  Have fun & happy experimenting.

Cheers,

Joe

Last edited by jcfelice88keys (20-05-2016 04:35)

I checked out KUC a few months back and had a go at recreating the sound on Pianoteq and was satisfied that to my ears Pianoteq can be reconfigured to sound very much like KUC. I am not that into the KUC sound though; I was more interested in whether Pianoteq can be morphed to imitate another instrument, just as a fun exercise. I did not save anything unfortunately. I used one of the acoustic grands as starting point and only Std version tweaks (not Pro).

3/2 = 5

jcfelice88keys wrote:

(...) Pianoteq is able to mimic the una corda piano by using an una corda instrument (namely, the harp) and modifying its hammer hardness to soften the initial attack, and to minimize odd harmonics. (...)

One appreciates the creativity of the effort, as one chuckles at the self-confidence with which you present the results, but … 90% likeness??? Seriously? Your Harp-modification, I'm sorry to say, sounds nothing like the Una Corda. In fact, claiming that there’s a 0,001% likeness would already be an exaggeration. To my ears anyway.

I recreated your Harp-modification to the letter, and then gave both the Una Corda (default ‘Pure’ patch) and Pianoteq the same material to play, and here’s the result. (Fragments first played by the Una Corda, followed by Pianoteq.)

Despite the UnaCorda having only one string per note, the instrument still sounds essentially like a piano, not a harp. (As I think this example and the NI video both clearly illustrate.) Hammers hitting a string, not fingers plucking a string — big difference.

Here's another audio example of the Una Corda. As before: default sound of the 'Pure' patch, and no additional processing.

I also have tiny bit of a problem, by the way, with you calling ‘blatant misinformation’ what is in actual fact a correct statement. When hammers are moved closer to the strings, they simply can’t generate as much power as they can when at their normal distance — basic physics — and thus make the instrument produce a less dynamic, slighty weaker sound. Very much my experience anyway, and an audible one too, when playing an upright.

Also: some specially prepared cloths might perhaps increase overtones and produce rich percussive textures, yes, but a piece of felt — which, unless I'm seriously mistaken, is what the NI-video seems to be talking about (and which is a technique that Nils Frahm used to record an entire album with) — placed between the hammers and the strings does indeed dampen the sound of the instrument considerably.

You’re allergic to NI and its products, or what? Because all your chuckling and ‘taking strong exception’ does hint at a certain unkind bias towards the company, if you don’t mind me saying so.

Anyway, the reason I buy and use libraries like the Una Corda is because they produce a sound which the current version of Pianoteq is quite unable to generate. Pianoteq can do a lot, but not everything. (And if I had to have a go, I’d think I’d ignore the harp completely and would look in the direction of combining a normal piano patch, extensively edited probably, with a faint presence of the clavichord, also extensively edited.

_

Last edited by Piet De Ridder (21-05-2016 19:30)

Hello Piet,

I am not sure what unleashed one's desire to lash out against someone else's reply.  I was merely the first person to respond to this thread.  As such, I stand by what was stated, namely, that the Una Corda piano sounded like a harp to me; moreover, it sounded like a harp that was devoid of many odd harmonics, and that it did not sound as though it was hit with hard hammers.

This is not the forum to argue petty issues such as these.  To state that one's fxp suggestions sounds nothing (implying 0.00%) like another sample ... is actually less accurate than any range, including that of between .001% to 99.9999999....99999%.  As a fellow beta tester for Pianoteq (and I truly admire all of your work that you do to create dazzling demos) , I am willing to forget the matter.  As a gesture of good faith, I would hope you will also put this behind us.  Just in case you wish to respond, I promise not to add any more information to this thread.

Cheers,

Joe

Those examples Piet posted DO sound quite different and not much alike timbrally...

Hard work and guts!