Topic: Simulating the Player's Perspective - Microphone and Speaker Placement

This is the third of three topics that I wanted to ask about, based on issues that have come up with my installing a PNOscan II MIDI sensor rail from QRS and a stop rail into my 1885 upright Steinway "F" which I bought from Craigslist.  As noted before, with a working antique acoustic upright piano, I am trying to tailor the controls and sound output from the piano working with Pianoteq so that there is as little as possible difference between playing the acoustic piano as compared to playing one of the modelled pianos, from the player's touch response and hearing perspective. 

3) Microphone versus Speaker placement – As I have noted, my real upright piano is flanked by two near-field monitors from Emotiva (Airmotiv 6) that are placed so that they are out of my direct ear-shot and they are facing the ceiling.  In order to better "fill in the center" from the player's perspective, I took two smaller near-field monitors from Emotiva (Airmotiv 4) and have them facing diagonally behind the upright piano at about my chest level (I used to have them behind the piano facing the ceiling, but these did not sound as realistic at "filling in the center" as they do currently).

My question is with respect to how best to "feed" the speakers with sound from Pianoteq: should the microphones in Pianoteq be placed at the same location where the speakers are in real life, or should the microphones be placed closer to where the piano player is sitting at the bench?  In some ways it's a classic audiophile issue, as to best simulate what a person hears at a concert, it seems that it would be best record the concert with a mannequin containing microphones in each ear at the listeners position, and then play the sound back through earphones on the listener.  While I have not tried listening to Pianoteq through earphones, I will tell you that using the binaural setting in the microphone set up always seems to sound too "dry" when that gets played through the speakers that I have arrayed around my piano.

David

- David

Re: Simulating the Player's Perspective - Microphone and Speaker Placement

I would suggest that you place your main near fields where the manufacturer recommends and then experiment with the microphone placement.