Topic: Pianoteq crashing

Hey guys, I just switched from mac to windows 10. I installed pianoteq 5 and asio drivers. But almost every time I open it, it crashes. Check the screenshots.
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/s/iibns39qbzkxb83/Crash2.jpg
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/s/dgxuiqzuorvgpgi/Crash1.jpg

I already reinstalled pianoteq, and the same thing happens.
The message I copied to the clipboard says the same as the message window.

Any suggestions?
Thanks!!

Re: Pianoteq crashing

Just go back to mac.... or install linux

piece of - windoze will always cause you problems and headaches.

http://soundcloud.com/delt01
Pianoteq 5 STD+blüthner, Renoise 3 • Roland FP-4F + M-Audio Keystation 88es
Intel i5@3.4GHz, 16GB • Linux Mint xfce 64bit

I'm no fan of windows either, but most Pianoteq users do run it under windows without any problems, so if that's your OS of choice you should not have to switch to anything else.

Sorry xkuruma, I haven't the faintest what the problem could be. Can you maybe run Pianoteq from a command prompt to get more useful error messages?

3/2 = 5

ASIO4ALL I presume? Do you use the onboard audio device on your motherboard? Sometimes there can be incompatibilities there - this is why I always recommend using a dedicated audio interface, with its own ASIO drivers (which will in 99.9% of cases be MUCH better than ASIO4ALL).

Give us all the info you can about your computer configuration, please.

Also it might be a good course of action to contact Modartt support directly via their support e-mail.

delt wrote:

No problems or headaches for a decade with Windows here. Smooth ride from XP to 7. Generalization is a bitch

Last edited by EvilDragon (11-04-2016 20:32)
Hard work and guts!

delt wrote:

Just go back to mac.... or install linux

I concur.

Pianoteq Pro 7.x - Kubuntu Linux 19.10 - Plasma Desktop - Hamburg Steinway

EvilDragon wrote:

No problems or headaches for a decade with Windows here. Smooth ride from XP to 7. ....

... and no problems here sailing smoothly from Windows 7 to 10. 

... with a Presonus audio interface and ASIO driver of course.

I don't think this the place for OS "wars". If you're a Linux user you probably get annoyed from time-to-time by being told you have to have Windows to run certain software. Well, it's the same for a Windows user being told they have to run Linux to make something work that should work just as well in Windows (in fact it's worse, because a Windows user would have a harder time getting used to Linux).

Pianoteq supports all major desktop OS', including Linux, and Modartt should be commended for that. The whole point of this broad support is so users are not inconvenienced and can use Pianoteq on any platform they damn well like.

@OP, sure if you _want_ to give it a go in Linux, go for it, but that's totally up to you and by no means necessary.

3/2 = 5

You have given us very little information to go on. More hardware details would be useful; ditto related software, particularly your ASIO driver.

In the meantime, perhaps the first thing to try would be using Pianoteq as a VST with another host to see whether this works properly.

SteveLy wrote:

Pianoteq supports all major desktop OS', including Linux, and Modartt should be commended for that.

YESSSS a BIG thumbs up to Modartt from me!!

http://soundcloud.com/delt01
Pianoteq 5 STD+blüthner, Renoise 3 • Roland FP-4F + M-Audio Keystation 88es
Intel i5@3.4GHz, 16GB • Linux Mint xfce 64bit

delt wrote:
SteveLy wrote:

Pianoteq supports all major desktop OS', including Linux, and Modartt should be commended for that.

YESSSS a BIG thumbs up to Modartt from me!!

If Pianoteq didn't run on Linux, I would not be using it.

Pianoteq Pro 7.x - Kubuntu Linux 19.10 - Plasma Desktop - Hamburg Steinway

GRB wrote:

If Pianoteq didn't run on Linux, I would not be using it.

Same here. And I expect most Windows users feel much the same way.

Last edited by SteveLy (13-04-2016 22:37)
3/2 = 5

As a Windows user what I would do in such problem circumstance is to uninstall Pianoteq the go start/run/cmd  regedit.

I then search for all reference to "pianoteq" and delete each one.

repeat for "modartt""

Then reboot computer and reinstall Pianoteq.

Of course note my disclaimer that making an error whilst using regedit can mess up your computer.

Ian

Beemer wrote:

Of course note my disclaimer that making an error whilst using regedit can mess up your computer.

Which is why you always make a backup of the registry before doing this.

OK sorry guys for not checking on this thread for so long, I had been very preoccupied with other stuff and not been able to test it.

So the problem occurs when I launch other apps that make use of sound, before I launch pianoteq. So if I restart the computer, and run pianoteq first, it works fine. If I'm using Pianoteq first, and try to play a song in foobar2000 or spotify or any of those, they won't make any sound and show an error (pianoteq still works fine). I think this is more of a asio4all issue.   If I run spotify first to play a song, and then run Pianoteq, I get the error I showed in my first post.

Well I managed to FINALLY fix it.
It wasn't Pianoteq per se, it was the ASIO4ALL driver.
I uninstalled that and downgraded to 2.12. Now it works fine. I had 2.13 apparently and it was creating all kinds of chaos in my computer.