Topic: Pianoteq setup equipment advice needed please

Hello,

I have been using pianoteq for about 6 months and love it. I would like to know if I should modify my setup for improved sound. I should point out though that there is nothing wrong specifically, but I am looking for maybe some improved clarity or quality of sound. Here is my setup:

Pianoteq 5 ( stage)
Yamaha P120 keyboard
Midi to USB cable
Toshiba laptop, at least 5 years old, maybe $400 when new, Windows 7
unbalanced 1/4 cables to JBL LSR305 monitors from headphone jack on laptop

Would an audio interface like a focusrite improve things? I have been reading but am not sure if it helps with sound. I imagine balanced outputs should be better at least.  I mostly just practice piano for myself, no recording or live performances.

Also, would upgrading pianoteq itself to have adjustable microphones be just as good an improvement? Sometimes I feel like pianoteq sounds like it's coming out of a box from far away, or kind of muddy and not clear. Preset changing can help but it seems that being able to adjust all the microphones individually is really great.

Thanks!

Last edited by shubertliszt (03-05-2016 01:06)

Re: Pianoteq setup equipment advice needed please

Hello Mr. SchubertLiszt (Franz Franz),

If you are willing to spend $190USD to upgrade to Standard version, that's perhaps the most improvement you would be able to gain for less than $200.  It seems to me that you would have to spend much more money for an audio interface, or better speakers, or better headphones to make any more significant improvement.

Food for thought,

Joe

If your sound is humless with the current cables then switching to balanced cabling will not significantly change the sound.

Thanks for the response jcfelice88keys. I'll look into upgrading Pianoteq.

rAC- I do get the humming sound at a low level and louder when some lights or appliances are turned on. I might be able to improve it with some better electrical plug placement, but not eliminate it without an upgrade I think.

I must say though that I am very happy in general with the JBL LSR305 monitors.

Upgrading to Ptq Std is definitely worthwhile IMO. But you can experiment with the Std demo version to test it for yourself.

You did not mention what instruments you have. Again demo versions are there for you to try. My current faves are the Model B and the 1899 Bechstein from Kremsegg 2.

Inexpensive worthwhile hardware upgrades:

Get better insulated cables to go from your computer's audio output to amp or powered monitors.

Get an external USB sound card. I use a cheapie old Behringer UCA200, but it's still a considerable improvement over laptop onboard sound.

Move your speakers further away from the walls of the room, and/or:

Place acoustics absorbers / "bass traps" on the walls: in the corners of the room and/or behind the speakers.

Good headphones are another option, even if only for assessing the sound quality without room acoustics complicating things.

Last edited by SteveLy (06-05-2016 20:20)
3/2 = 5

SteveLy- Hi. Thanks for the input. I have only the basic instruments. I usually use the D4 and K2 or Erard. I have tried the demo of the Bluthner and Model B. Awesome sounds from the Bluthner but the Model B amazed me from the first note.I play mostly classical/romantic/baroque music, and some blues.

I think I will try out the std demo first off. Then I'm looking at the Roland ua55 quad capture and some balanced cables. Looks like I'll have to switch out my midi-->usb for midi-midi cables though.

My monitors are very close to the wall and near a corner wall as well. I'll see if I can create some extra room without making it too obvious. I have a pair of closed ear Sennheiser headphones somewhere.

Kind of off topic but I just bought some Definitive tower speakers (8020st) and center channel for home theater (and music) and an Onkyo receiver. My first "real" sound system- and I couldn't be happier. They have spoiled me with crystal clear sound and I guess this has inspired me to try and improve the clarity of my Pianoteq sounds.