Topic: KX Studio Linux problem cannot install plugins in root

Well I've got to say first what  wonderful addition to my sound.  The standalone version is superb.  I tracked it to my new recording and just perfect sound, Incredibly realistic pianos that put my Kurtzweil to shame.  Works perfect in Linux and Ardour DAW finds it fine.  It patches to Alsa driver via Jack automatically nice job.
Here is my problem: my KX Studio system will not allow my to just drag and drop the LV2 and SO (VST) plugins to my plug in list because it's inside of my root folder and I'm, not allowed to go there and mess around with stuff.  Good idea because I'm fairly new to Linux and KX Studio. Is there a terminal fix?
Thanks and Mahalo,
Franklin Russell

Re: KX Studio Linux problem cannot install plugins in root

I gather you just want to copy some files across..

You can do it at the terminal using

sudo cp <source> <destination>

or you might find a "File Manager (superuser)" or equivalent entry in the systems applications menu for doing it via the GUI.

Or you can try

sudo dolphin

from the terminal to run the graphical file manager "dolphin" with admin (superuser) privileges, assuming KXStudio uses Dolphin as file manager for its KDE front end. If not then replace "dolphin" with whatever is appropriate.

Last edited by SteveLy (17-04-2016 07:12)
3/2 = 5

The Linux version of Renoise has a slight glitch that causes it to find new VST's only if they're in the current directory. So if i add new VST plugins, i have to cd to my /usr/lib/vst directory (where i keep my VST's, or symlinks to them) and start renoise from there, then do a scan for new plugins. There might be a similar bug in whatever app you're using in KX.

http://soundcloud.com/delt01
Pianoteq 5 STD+blüthner, Renoise 3 • Roland FP-4F + M-Audio Keystation 88es
Intel i5@3.4GHz, 16GB • Linux Mint xfce 64bit

Franklin Russell wrote:

my KX Studio system will not allow my to just drag and drop the LV2 and SO (VST) plugins to my plug in list because it's inside of my root folder

There is a good reason for not letting you mess with those folders. If possible, keep all your VST plugins in a directory accessible by you. The usual choice is /home/[your username]/.vst/

Then add that directory to a list of VST directories to be scanned by your DAW.

thank-you  I'll try sudo I'm assuming not using the <  > keys though the whole file path yea?
I have to learn linux better sorry.

and thanks delt I could easy try that too.
Thanks and sorry for the belated response took me a while to check
thanks again

Franklin Russell wrote:

thank-you  I'll try sudo I'm assuming not using the <  > keys though the whole file path yea?
I have to learn linux better sorry.

There is no reason to use sudo *at any time* during Pianoteq installation or execution. Certainly not if you are not sure what exactly are you doing. Just copy the Pianoteq.so file into /home/[yourname]/.vst directory as a normal user (NOT using sudo). That's all. Then configure your DAW to look for plugins in this directory (unless it's not already configured to do so).