Topic: Non-session-manager on linux

hi,

is anyone using pianoteq on linux with the non-session-manager (nsm)? nsm seems to be the new "best" session manager on linux but it requires programs to make some small patches to be fully compatible. i wonder if modartt would be willing to make that happen in case it's not yet there?

Re: Non-session-manager on linux

I use xfce and pianoteq works great... what advantages do you get with this "non-session-manager" ?

If you need to patch apps to be compatibe with your window manager / session / desktop, it might be a good idea to use another one. If you don't want a session manager (just guessing by the name non-session-manager) then just use a minimal straight-up window manager like fluxbox or icewm.

http://soundcloud.com/delt01
Pianoteq 5 STD+blüthner, Renoise 3 • Roland FP-4F + M-Audio Keystation 88es
Intel i5@3.4GHz, 16GB • Linux Mint xfce 64bit

I think Modartt have better things to do than cater to niche bleeding edge supergeek platforms. They have a Linux version that works very well.

I've used it with fluxbox and twm on older slower machines. You could probably even run it without a window manager: modify your xinit/startx script to only launch pianoteq, in full screen mode. Then have it exit X (and maybe even shut down the computer) when pianoteq exits. You can set up a dedicated pianoteq device this way that you just power on and it's ready to play.

Last edited by SteveLy (11-04-2016 03:21)
3/2 = 5

I have been using non-session manager for a while now and I think it works well.  I use it to automatically and quickly start Pianoteq, non-mixer, simplescreenrecorder, mididings, aqualung, a script file I wrote, and catia (i.e. my piano studio).  It also makes all of the jack connections, including my 2 keyboards.  I use aqualung to play wav files (i.e. music minus one), mididings to remap my piano pedals to work with Pianoteq in its standard settings, and catia to fix any issues (rare).  I use my script file to move the various program windows to various virtual desktops and position them the way I like them.  I use NSM proxy to make Pianoteq and some of the other programs run.  I guess it would be nice for Pianoteq to be runnable without using NSM proxy (i.e. the way non-mixer runs for example) in non-session manager, but I am happy with it this way, too, since it all works.  I am happy to provide more information if desired.

sorry for the confusion.

as mwinthrop has explained, this is not a window manager or a desktop environment. it can be used to automatically start a set of audio applications and wire them up. so, it's quite useful and relevant to pianoteq's linux version, in particular the standalone one. see e.g. here: http://wiki.linuxaudio.org/apps/categories/nsm . i also don't see why the linux version of pianoteq should receive updates and small improvements less than other versions do.

as mwinthrop, i have now been able to use pianoteq via the 'nsm proxy' which is a wrapper that just launches the application from non-session-manager. but there is the potential for more than just launching. for instance, saving or loading of presets at the command of the session manager. this would enable e.g. the following: one project is the 'live rack' in which there is a 'rock piano' type preset loaded by pianoteq, compressed and wired to a mono output on the sound card for good presence in a live mix. after configuring once, all of this would be ready to go in 1 second by starting the corresponding session -- without doing anything in the pianoteq gui. another session may be a practice session where a different pianoteq preset is wired to 4 outputs on the sound card (speakers plus digital piano internal speakers). again, all of this would be immediately ready. the difference to what mwinthrop is already doing would be the preset control from the session manager. it would go the last mile to make the session fully care-free.

control of audio applications from nsm is implemented via a well documented (http://non.tuxfamily.org/nsm/API.html) and _small_ OSC api. this seems to be a major progress compared to previous session management attempts on linux. it seemed to me that adding this functionality to pianoteq would not require much programming effort -- i may be wrong of course. does pianoteq already implement the OSC protocol? if yes it should be particularly simple.

n.

Last edited by nb (16-04-2016 21:02)

nb wrote:

but there is the potential for more than just launching. for instance, saving or loading of presets at the command of the session manager. this would enable e.g. the following: one project is the 'live rack' in which there is a 'rock piano' type preset loaded by pianoteq, compressed and wired to a mono output on the sound card for good presence in a live mix. after configuring once, all of this would be ready to go in 1 second by starting the corresponding session -- without doing anything in the pianoteq gui. another session may be a practice session where a different pianoteq preset is wired to 4 outputs on the sound card (speakers plus digital piano internal speakers). again, all of this would be immediately ready. the difference to what mwinthrop is already doing would be the preset control from the session manager. it would go the last mile to make the session fully care-free.

If I understand this right, I was thinking you might achieve what you want by setting up separate NSM sessions for each Pianoteq preset you want to create.  Since Pianoteq accepts inputs at the command line (i.e. will load a selected preset for example), it should be possible to create a particular Pianoteq preset and have an NSM Proxy load that Pianoteq configuration when you start up.  Available Pianoteq start up commands can be easily displayed at the terminal by typing the following in the directory where Pianoteq is installed:

./Pianoteq\ 5 --help

On your question about OSC, I have not tried to use this.  It seems unlikely to me that Pianoteq would recognize OSC.  However, you might be able to use mididings to create an interface between OSC and Pianoteq using the information at http://non.tuxfamily.org/wiki/UsingMidiWithNon.  I have not done this, but this looks kind of like what I think you are suggesting.  This is something I like about Linux, which is there always seems to be a way to make something work the way you want it to, though it may not be easy to do at first.

If some or all of this is known to you, I apologize in advance - I am just trying to help if I can.

mwinthrop wrote:

it should be possible to create a particular Pianoteq preset and have an NSM Proxy load that Pianoteq configuration when you start up.

yes, that could be a way to work around it. although full support would be even better: more comfortable for one but also the preset would be stored in a location neatly bundled with the session, etc.

i have emailed with modartt support and they may for now change pianoteq's response to the SIGUSR1 signal to save the preset; this would also help integrate with nsm proxy a bit better, supporting the 'save' button in nsm.

i have found nothing on OSC, so i assume ptq does in fact not support it at the moment. using another application to map OSC to midi into ptq would not make a lot of sense since in order to fully support nsm, ptq would need to respond to specific OSC messages in ways that i think are outside the reach of what can be controlled in ptq via midi. i wonder if it would make sense for ptq to start supporting OSC at some point, with all the neat controller apps that one can install on a tablet/phone and use via wifi...

anyway, thanks for your help!