Topic: Stereophonic / Exaggerated Left-Right separation

I'm looking to find a way of recreating an exaggerated left/right player perspective in order to recreate the effect on some tracks I am familiar with. So, simply, I'm aiming for the lower half of the keyboard to play through the left speaker and the upper, the right. Now, I've fiddled a lot over the last few years with this with the various different Pianoteq models and settings, but, unfortunately have never quite achieved what I'm looking for with the acoustic instruments. I've always found that there is too much spillage from one mic picking up too much of the other side of the instrument. I've tried binaural too, and the stereophonic setting. I found out yesterday, that the stereo width position can have an impact on the stereophonic setting which I had not been aware of before. So, I noticed that setting various widths in mic output and then moving to stereophonic gave different results.

Generally, I've found moderates success with some of my own presets, but, I've just bought the Rucker's harpsichord (it is excellent), but, I cannot get this left-right separation as I want. For the Ruckers harpsichord, I was trying to recreate the mic set up on a track by the band Yes called 'Madrigal,' on their album 'Tormato.' I've tinkered around a fair bit, but it is as though the mic for the left hand side/bass side always seems to pick up what's going on on the right hand/upper part of the keyboard. Binaural comes fairly close, but, again, not enough separation.

Another track I've tried to emulate is 'Firth of Fifth' by Genesis from their album 'Selling England by the Pound,' where the bass is nicely separated left and upper keys to the right. Incidentally, can any piano experts tell me what that piano model was? I think the recording studio was Trident, London.

Any help, very much appreciated as always.
Ian

Re: Stereophonic / Exaggerated Left-Right separation

You could use two instances of Pianoteq, one for each output channel and mute the notes you don't want in that channel by setting their volume to 0 in Note Edit (needs Standard or Pro)

Thank you Gilles. Yes, I can see that working in a Host DAW.

What to you think is the best approach for Standalone instances?

Best you can do is maximize the stereo width and find mic positions (player works well usually) that sound most like what you want. There will always be some "spillage" because the soundboard responds as a whole to all strings interacting and that is what is captured, not the equivalent of single note samples that can be panned independently.

Thank you Gilles. I've created something ok, using maximum stereo width and Binaural, maximised for a big head/ears (!) and positioned just forward of the keyboard, which seems to work quite well.

I'm not sure if non UK audiences can listen to it, but BBC Radio 3 offered an interesting programme, details below:

Here: http://bbc.in/1Ek40fQ

"From the "skeletons copulating on a tin roof" jibes of conductor Sir Thomas Beecham to its unfavourable characterisation as the ideal instrument of the Addams Family, the harpsichord is an often misunderstood instrument - sometimes dividing audiences. Harpsichord virtuoso Mahan Esfahani heads off on a personal journey to uncover the instrument's chequered history, why the people who play it are not always its best advocates, and how this ancient instrument has a very modern face too.

He heads to Prague to meet his mentor, 88 year old Czech harpsichord maestro Zuzana Ružicková and visits the workshop of young Finnish harpsichord builder Jukka Olikka. En route he quizzes pianist Igor Levit on the harpsichord-piano rivalry and speaks to composer Michael Nyman about modern harpsichord music. To complete the picture he drops in at the Rudolfinum to talk to harpsichord expert Petr Sefl, and in London meets Barbican director, Sir Nicholas Kenyon."