Topic: Which acoustic piano pack? Advice for Pianoteq beginner

First of all, sorry if this sounds barbaric but although I play piano for over 40 years, I am not a piano expert and thus I am simply not able to distinguish between audio nuances of various Pianoteq pianos (based on the Pianoteq demo I downloaded).

I compose mostly retrosynth music but there are moments when I need a realistic piano sound and Pianoteq sounds great (and is perfectly compatible with Linux and Bitwig Studio which I use).

I am thinking about buying the basic Pianoteq version ("Stage") and I don't really hear enough differences between D4 and K2 pianos to justify buying them both in the starter pack. Thus I'd like to buy Hohner / R2+W1 starter pack and then either buy one additional acoustic piano pack separately or even use some of the "historical pianos" that are offered as free downloads.

So, my question is: Which of the acoustic piano packs would you recommend as a best "all-purpose" (i.e. usable for most conditions) piano for a person like me who really doesn't distinguish between qualities of pianos that are on offer? What would I be missing by using only the free historical grand pianos (Pleyel, Erard)?

Thank you.

Re: Which acoustic piano pack? Advice for Pianoteq beginner

Your question is subjective in the extreme, and the best answer (in my subjective opinion) is for you to continue testing the available models and based on that information, purchase the one you like best. 

I also notice that you mention D4 and K2, but I see no mention of "Model-B" or the Blüthner. Please be sure to give these great pianos a serious audition before deciding.

OR, you could be like me, and buy a bunch of them.   Regardless I hope you enjoy this great tool as much as I do!

Last edited by fubarable (17-04-2016 15:10)

When I first looked at Pianoteq I never liked the sound of "Stage" - it is the same modelling, but you do not have the virtual stage to position virtual mics, which to me made a big difference.

It is very subjective - I found great sounds/presets for D4, K2, Bluethner and Model B  - and than, this is totally subjective. 

But I would probably go with the Bluethner if looking for a concert grand or the Model B when looking for a smaller grand. (Bluethner is less CPU intensive though)

hope that helps

best

fubarable wrote:

I also notice that you mention D4 and K2, but I see no mention of "Model-B" or the Blüthner. Please be sure to give these great pianos a serious audition before deciding.

I mentioned D4 and K2 because those are the only ones I can get as a part of the "default set", when buying Pianoteq. If I want any other piano (including Model B or Bluethner), I have to pay for it separately.

Fuxoft wrote:

I mentioned D4 and K2 because those are the only ones I can get as a part of the "default set", when buying Pianoteq. If I want any other piano (including Model B or Bluethner), I have to pay for it separately.

Ah, I forgot about that. Get out your credit card then since you might find that the Model B and Blüthner blow the D4 and K2 out of the water. But again, it's all subjective and again, YMMV.

Hohner / R2+W1 starter pack and Model B acoustic.

Pianoteq 8 Pro Studio with Classical Guitar and Organteq 2

"Hohner / R2+W1 starter pack and Model B acoustic."

For someone who is not into electrical pianos and only plays classical stuff I would still have to agree with this, as the quality of the sounds you can make with the electric pianos is impressive. I went the D4+K2 route and rarely play them anymore - I just the Model B and the Blüthner, and at a push would survive without the Blüthner. You will have to get the Model B without a doubt at some point - keep that in mind, and probably the Blüthner also if they update it in the future.

I went with the electric piano pack and then added only the Bluthner.  There are also free acoustics with the historic instrument pack that are good.  I have since purchased the Model B. and the Hans Ruckers harpsichord which were not available at the time of my original purchase.  I play mostly the Bluthner.  Presently I'm in Hawaii for the winter, and the Celeron based computer does not have enough processor power to properly run the Model B.  That's probably the reason I purchased the Ruckers harpsichord which works OK.

Last edited by GRB (17-04-2016 19:26)
Pianoteq Pro 7.x - Kubuntu Linux 19.10 - Plasma Desktop - Hamburg Steinway

Like others have suggested the Electric starter (R2/W1 + Hohner) and the Model B* as an add-on would be best value since you're interested in electrics. You also get lots of free instruments in KIViR and Legacy collections.

*I say Model B, because that would be my preference. But you should use the trial version of the instruments first to decide which one(s) you like best. My faves of the modern acoustics are Model B, Bluthner, U4 and D2, but you should explore them all first before making a purchase. The Kremsegg historicals also have some good ones. The try-before-you-buy feature of Pianoteq is very useful and you should use it. Good luck!

3/2 = 5

Thank you very much, everyone. I'll buy the electric pianos basic pack, experiment with the free stuff and then maybe buy another separate acoustic piano. If you are curious, two of my albums are available on Google Music for free: https://play.google.com/store/music/art...ubnizzjsbq Thanks again.