Topic: 1829 I. Besendorfer, Kremsegg Collection I

I love some of the historical pianos in PianoTeq's Kremsegg Collections I and II.

This is the 1829 I. Besendorfer from the Kremsegg Collection I.

The music is a piece of juvenilia composed in my teens that I called Ether Bells.

http://www.forum-pianoteq.com/uploads.p...-bells.mp3

---

Last edited by Stephen_Doonan (25-03-2016 08:22)
--
Linux, Pianoteq Pro, Organteq

Re: 1829 I. Besendorfer, Kremsegg Collection I

Nice one! Good reminder not to forget about all the different instruments on board. It's too easy to just pick a few faves and tempting to automatically reach for one of those.

Your audio sounds like it has clipping distortion. But I loaded the audio into audacity and looked at the waveform and could not find any real clipping. Maybe you've compressed it too aggressively ??? (not in the wav-to-mp3 sense but in audio-compression sense)

Last edited by SteveLy (25-03-2016 07:47)
3/2 = 5

SteveLy wrote:

Your audio sounds like it has clipping distortion. But I loaded the audio into audacity and looked at the waveform and could not find any real clipping. Maybe you've compressed it too aggressively ???

Not intentionally, but I used a command-line normalization tool (without seeing the waveform) and I don't think it did what I thought it was going to do. The waveform looks like music that has been overly amplified and overly squashed at the same time (lots of squared off tops like a hard limiter). I'll delete and replace the file with a (hopefully) better one. Please let me know what you think. The new file is normalized in Ardour (in Linux) to -4dBfs. Maybe even that's too loud. But hopefully the waveform looks better. Thank you.

Last edited by Stephen_Doonan (25-03-2016 08:35)
--

Yeah, that's much much better. All clean sound. Very nice.

FWIW I use sox for command line stuff. It's very powerful but command line only if you want to make the most of it (it's kind of the ImageMagick of audio, which is basically command-line Photoshop).

Last edited by SteveLy (25-03-2016 12:58)
3/2 = 5

Stephen_Doonan wrote:

I love some of the historical pianos in PianoTeq's Kremsegg Collections I and II.

This is the 1829 I. Besendorfer from the Kremsegg Collection I.

The music is a piece of juvenilia composed in my teens that I called Ether Bells.

http://www.forum-pianoteq.com/uploads.p...-bells.mp3

---

Nice "juvenilia" composition, Stephen - and the counter melodies beginning at 0:53 are especially nice.  Also, a note about the very last damper release:  is Pianoteq totally awesome or what?!

Lanny

SteveLy wrote:

FWIW I use sox for command line stuff. It's very powerful but command line only if you want to make the most of it (it's kind of the ImageMagick of audio, which is basically command-line Photoshop).

Thank you, Steve. I'll try to familiarize myself with the linux command-line audio utility sox. I usually use Ardour or sometimes Audacity, both of which I like very much.

@LTECpiano - Yes, I agree, Pianoteq is really awesome. The attention to, level and clarity of detail (dampers, sustain pedal noise, etc.) is amazing and to my ears very convincing.

Some of the older pianos in the Kremsegg Collections and the KIVir instruments have a sharper attack and more delicate sound that is really nice for some pieces and uses, and the 1899 C. Bechstein piano of the Kremsegg Collection II has a beautiful, full voice that sounds great and appropriate for many modern as well as classical compositions and uses.

Last edited by Stephen_Doonan (26-03-2016 15:47)
--

Stephen_Doonan wrote:

Thank you, Steve. I'll try to familiarize myself with the linux command-line audio utility sox.

I have no idea how to use it either. But when I want a job done, especially when it's on a relatively large number of files, I just search the man page or search online. Command-line is great for doing things quickly and in bulk but my brain is like a sieve (I process okay but I'm lousy at memorising) so I appreciate a good GUI-based system as well. I even forget how to use my own programs. That's why the first thing I do before any coding is write a help page that prints with --help. I am yet to acquaint myself with Ardour but I understand it's THE Linux audio editing/mastering/creation tool.

Last edited by SteveLy (26-03-2016 12:59)
3/2 = 5