Topic: Pianoteq Volume: too low in headphones

Hi, I own the Stage version, I'd like to know how fix the volume issue.

Pianoteq is installed on my iMac and I use headphones connected to it to listen sounds produces by my silent system (QuietTime Magic Star) on my acoustic piano via MIDI-to-USB cable.

When I hit a key with moderate force (it should be a mf) I can hear the sound in the headphones but it's quite low (image at:  http://s20.postimg.org/5aspmk5rt/Pianoteq_Volume.jpg showing the response obtained in the velocity curve), if I click on the virtual keyboard otherwise the output volume is quite good (the green indicator goes far right then when I use my piano) and not so low as before.

How could I fix this issue ?

I've also noticed that the output sound is influenced by the system setting on my iMac but I think this is normal, right ?

As you can see from the image the volume in the Pianoteq interface is setup to maximum level but this isn't enough.

The velocity curve output a 50, should I make corrections on this section ? How ?

Thank you very much.

Regards, Roberto.

Pianoteq Stage 5.0.1/20140527 - Pianodisc Quiettime Magic Star V. 4.0S - iMac Late 2009 - OSX Mavericks 10.9.3 - 12GB RAM - Intel Core 2 Duo 3.06 GHz - SSD OWC Mercury Extreme Pro 6G 240GB

Re: Pianoteq Volume: too low in headphones

Hello Roberto,

Here is something you can try with Pianoteq to make it sound louder when you use headphones:

Try turning the Dynamic Range slider DOWN (to the left), down to about 20dB range, and then listen through your headphones.  This will bring up the volume of the "softs".  Then adjust the Volume slider to taste.  This is strictly a fix for you when you listen with headphones, assuming the iMac isn't putting out a lot of signal to the headphone jack. 

Give it a try and let me know what you think.  After all, folks, we are just searching for higher volume when a note-on velocity of approximately 50 sounds to soft to the headphone wearer.

Cheers,

Joe

Since the volume is good when you use the virtual keyboard, I think it could be a velocity response issue. What velocity do you get when you play FFF? It should be close to max (127).

Greg.

@jcfelice88keys & skip

First of all thanks for your reply, maybe I've found the problem, on my silent system the sensibility of each key was set about at 96-100 (range: 0-255) so when I was pressing the key at maximum force it was really difficult to reach the 127 value in Pianoteq, I'm just trying different values but it seems that a value about at 180 (for black keys quite less at 165-170) produces a good response, I can reach in a quite manner the 127 while I can play piano or pianissimo at around 20-40.

I have to do that calibration for each key on my piano (quite a time), I'm proceeding to set above values (whit and black keys) for each key and after trying to play and hear (and look) at the sound produced and the value (MIDI) obtained, this is at my personal guidance, wondering if does exist a better scientific approach to achieve that, what do you think ?

Regards, Roberto.

Pianoteq Stage 5.0.1/20140527 - Pianodisc Quiettime Magic Star V. 4.0S - iMac Late 2009 - OSX Mavericks 10.9.3 - 12GB RAM - Intel Core 2 Duo 3.06 GHz - SSD OWC Mercury Extreme Pro 6G 240GB

Looks like you're onto it.

Just btw, recently someone over on the pianoworld forums recorded a performance on their Yamaha Avantgrande, and made the MIDI file available - some astute readers noticed that the upper velocity range was rather restricted, in a similar way to yours.

Greg.