Topic: Tiny latency issue/audio interface recommendation

I use Pianoteq Stage for practising classical piano. My setup is a Korg SP-170S digital piano as the controller, which is then connected via the cheapest MIDI-to-USB cable found on Amazon to my maximum configuration MacBook Pro (i7, SSD, 16GB RAM). The sounds then comes through my pair of computer speakers, which are plugged in the laptop's 3.5 mm jack. This means that I'm using the laptop's onboard audio interface.

There is no difference at all when I change the buffer size from 512 samples (15.5 ms reported latency) to 64 samples (2.3 ms reported latency). In both cases, no delay is audible and I can hardly feel latency. It only becomes noticeable when I play very high tempo pieces (say Beethoven's Moonlight Sonata 3rd movement or Chopin's Minute Waltz). The delay, though tiny, is enough to significantly impact my performance. I should also point out that this doesn't happen when I play directly on the SP-170S keyboard using its crappy onboard sample library.

From my limited understanding of audio processing hardware, I suspect the possible sources of latency are the cheap MIDI-to-USB cable, the onboard audio interface of the laptop or the Korg keyboard. Will buying an external audio interface and a better cable solve the problem? If yes, which interface should I buy if budget is not a problem? It should be noted that most high-end audio interfaces on the market come with many fancy functions (recording capabilities, multiple jacks for guitar, amps, etc.) that I never use. As an engineering student living in university hall, I only use Pianoteq as a replacement for an acoustic piano

Last edited by duchn7 (12-03-2016 12:17)

Re: Tiny latency issue/audio interface recommendation

I have no idea if this is the cause of the problem in your case, but I found that CPU frequency throttling would cause extra delays on my main machine (an i5 Linux laptop). Running it at a fixed frequency fixed all latency issues for me.

3/2 = 5

In Linux, one can give PianoTeq a higher CPU-use priority and a higher input/output (or throughput) priority for its sound production. Since Apple's OS X is based on Darwin, a linux-like BSD variant, I wonder if you might have some of the same command-line tools, such as the programs "renice" and "ionice" to change the CPU and input/output (or throughput) priorities for various running applications such as PianoTeq. I use both (although in Linux Mint I use the System Monitor to change the CPU priority of PianoTeq and jackd or jackdbus), as well as unthrottling the CPU frequencies by specifying the "performance" CPU governor instead of the default "powersave" governor, and the latencies on my 6-core Intel machine running Linux are under 5 milliseconds (sometimes down to 2-3 milliseconds).

Currently I use an external audio interface, a small Focusrite Scarlett 2i4, which includes two inputs (which accept balanced or unbalanced cords/signals) and includes a MIDI interface. It's digital-to-analog (and vice versa) converters can run up to 24-bit, 96 kHz resolution, and it connects to the laptop or desktop computer using only a USB cable (USB 2), which also supplies its power.

I usually connect my MIDI keyboard (which has a USB midi output as will as standard 5-pin MIDI output) to the computer directly using a USB cable, although the 5-pin MIDI out port from the keyboard can also be connected to the MIDI in port of the Scarlett audio/MIDI interface.

Last edited by Stephen_Doonan (13-03-2016 19:41)
--
Linux, Pianoteq Pro, Organteq

Stephen_Doonan wrote:

In Linux, one can give PianoTeq a higher CPU-use priority and a higher input/output (or throughput) priority for its sound production.

Same thing is possible in Windows' Task Manager, as well.

Hard work and guts!