Topic: PianoTeq and Linux

I was very happy to discover that PianoTeq works (very well) in Linux, which I have used exclusively since the late 1990s. This is the first time I have used a software sound generator with my MIDI digital piano (a Yamaha CP5). The piano modeling in PianoTeq is superb and it is a joy to use. I've only had PianoTeq Stage for a day and although it is an extremely well-designed and well-implemented program (including from a user-experience and graphical interface perspective), and so versatile, I'm already thinking of upgrading soon to PianoTeq Standard or Pro.

I enjoyed using a screen capture program in Linux (Kazam) and combining it with a .wav file exported from PianoTeq from a MIDI file I recorded of one of my compositions (I used OpenShot to combine the captured video and exported audio) to make a YouTube video featuring PianoTeq's great D4 piano--

Abstract 1, piano composition, Stephen Doonan
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=_WurgSPBxuQ

I look forward as a new PianoTeq user to reading others' posts on the forum and participating in the community as I can. Thanks all--

Steve

Last edited by Stephen_Doonan (08-02-2016 21:52)
--
Linux, Pianoteq Pro, Organteq

Re: PianoTeq and Linux

On upgrades. If you can afford to upgrade to the Std version then get it. It's well worth it. There is no need to go to Pro at once, because the upgrades will end up costing the same either way (i.e., whether you go from Stage -> Std -> Pro, or Stage -> Pro).

The Std version will allow you to load any presets created on a Pro, so all of the FXP library is yours. And there are a lot of parameters to tinker with in Std. I'd recommend exploring those first before going Pro.

PS. yes, we get excellent performance on Linux, especially on audio optimised distros/systems.

3/2 = 5

Nice performance, Steve D. I can only hope to one day have that sort of dexterity on the piano How long have you been playing for?

Yes, I've loved using Pianoteq under Linux (Ubuntu Studio 15.10 with KXStudio repository). The plugin versions of Pianoteq work well in LMMS via Carla too (in case anyone was searching for LMMS and Pianoteq). I've spent most of my time just playing Pianoteq standalone though.

Ref:  Abstract 1 . . . Super improv, Stephen.  AND you have a great left hand too.

Lanny

Thank you to everyone who has responded to this thread.
To lem18, I'm actually recovering from a cancer that almost disabled my right arm and hand. My piano practice is part of the therapy to regain the use of my arm and hand.
To LTECpiano, the LTEC digital piano action at your website looks very interesting!

I'm so pleased to have discovered PianoTeq. For years as a Linux user I thought that software tone generators, whether sampled or modeled, were not available for my use or required extra configuration and troubleshooting, or required a Windows emulator (WINE), etc. It was a very pleasant surprise to find that PianoTeq for Linux works perfectly.

The PianoTeq pianos are the best I've played, both sampled and modeled (such as Roland modeled pianos). PianoTeq's pianos are superb and I think I would prefer them to playing most acoustic pianos (with the eccentricities they often have). PianoTeq is just amazing and a wonderful example of extremely well designed software.

Anyway, here is another YouTube video I made yesterday of another of my pieces. I can't remember which PianoTeq piano I used for it: I love them all and frequently switch between them while playing.

Arabesque 1, Stephen Doonan, performed on PianoTeq 5

https://youtu.be/J5HLn-y6r1A

Best wishes,
Steve

Last edited by Stephen_Doonan (10-02-2016 21:48)
--

Another nice track, well done .. are you reading off sheet music, playing from memory, improvising?

That's good to hear you're recovering from the cancer. What great rehabilitation therapy too!

lem18 wrote:

Another nice track, well done .. are you reading off sheet music, playing from memory, improvising?

Most of the time I just play my own compositions from memory. I've done a little notation, and in the future I may produce a piano score or two. Most of those I have produced in the past I have been unhappy with (either some parts were notated badly (there were better alternatives) or I later revised the composition and the score was out of date. Anyway, thanks for the compliment, and yes, playing the piano is great therapy for building up the cancer-atrophied muscles of my right arm.

--