Topic: An amazing plug-in for playing with headphones (TB Isone review)

I somehow ran into this plug-in "TB Isone" which simulates speakers and room acoustic using headphone.

It's basically the same idea as the binaural mode in pianoteq but it's much more accurate and realistic.

The thing is, it takes time to calibrate it and each user needs to find his own setup - ear size, head size and all the rest. otherwise, it just messes up the sound. luckily, this only has to be done once and the manual gives you direction on how it should be done.

It took me a few days, but when i hit my spot - IT'S LIKE MAGIC - you hear the sound as if it's coming form the front.

The realistic feeling of pianoteq with this plug-in on a good pair of headphones is unbelievable, as if you can reach out and touch it.

enjoy

Pianoteq 5 Standard (D4, K2, Blüthner, YC5)

Re: An amazing plug-in for playing with headphones (TB Isone review)

Hi Ehudk, I'm interested and would like to test the plug-in "TB Isone", please where can I find it and how should I use it and configure into Pianoteq ?

I own the Pianoteq stage version.

Thanks, regards.

Pianoteq Stage 5.0.1/20140527 - Pianodisc Quiettime Magic Star V. 4.0S - iMac Late 2009 - OSX Mavericks 10.9.3 - 12GB RAM - Intel Core 2 Duo 3.06 GHz - SSD OWC Mercury Extreme Pro 6G 240GB

dalrmi wrote:

Hi Ehudk, I'm interested and would like to test the plug-in "TB Isone", please where can I find it and how should I use it and configure into Pianoteq ?

Thanks, regards.

There is a free version:

http://www.toneboosters.com/tb-isone/

It can't be configured into pianoteq, you'll need another program to be used as a vst instruments host.
I use Cantabile Lite (a free version) as a vst host in order to use it with pianoteq:

http://www.cantabilesoftware.com/lite/

At first you should use the most basic preset in pianoteq without reverb and follow the instructions in the TB Isone manual on how to calibrate it.

Good luck!

Hi, I'd like to try but Cantabile software is only for windows platform and I'm using a Mac, do you know a different program to be used ? It isn't clear for me hot to put together TB isone, pianoteq and the software to hear the sound through my headphones, could you help me ?

Thanks, regards.

Pianoteq Stage 5.0.1/20140527 - Pianodisc Quiettime Magic Star V. 4.0S - iMac Late 2009 - OSX Mavericks 10.9.3 - 12GB RAM - Intel Core 2 Duo 3.06 GHz - SSD OWC Mercury Extreme Pro 6G 240GB

I'm not a mac user, but as far as i know you can use garageband.

Thanks Eudk, I could use garageband but how ? I mean: I've garageband, pianoteq stage and TB is-one, how merge everything and listen to my headphones the sound of an instrument of pianoteq ?

Sorry for demanding but this is all new for me and I'm a real beginner...

You put Isone on master track as an effect, and you load Pianoteq as an effect on a regular track. Reading the Garageband manual should get you acquainted with the program.

Hard work and guts!

Thanks EvilDragon, I'm reading the garageBand manual but I'm not finding the AU of Pianoteq on my iMac, I've installed the Pianoteq stage version, should I do something in particular to have that AU ?

ok, I succeded on adding the TB Isone Au plug-in to my iMac, now I can see it into Garageband.

I'm not finding the corresponding AU (.component file) for Pianoteq stage to be imported and used into garageband, where should I look for ?

Did you install it correctly? Perhaps you need to point Garageband to the folder with AUs? I dunno, I'm not a Mac user.

Hard work and guts!

I think I've installed it correctly (on Mac it's very simple!), I've already done a procedure as elencated on support area regarding this specific problem and garageband on its startup did a new scan of the plugin installed on my Mac.

Anyway where should I find the AU plugin on the pc ? on windows where do you find it ?

AU are Mac-specific plugins, so you can't really use them on Windows. On Windows it's a VST plugin, and you point the installer to the location of your VST folder. It's easy as well and always works too.

Hard work and guts!

Dragon--

Have you tried this plug-in? Any impressions to share?

I have it, but never really had time to get down and dirty with it. I'm sure it's splendid, other Jeroen's plugins are pure gold!

Hard work and guts!

Ehudk wrote:

I somehow ran into this plug-in "TB Isone" which simulates speakers and room acoustic using headphone.

It's basically the same idea as the binaural mode in pianoteq but it's much more accurate and realistic.

The thing is, it takes time to calibrate it and each user needs to find his own setup - ear size, head size and all the rest. otherwise, it just messes up the sound. luckily, this only has to be done once and the manual gives you direction on how it should be done.

It took me a few days, but when i hit my spot - IT'S LIKE MAGIC - you hear the sound as if it's coming form the front.

The realistic feeling of pianoteq with this plug-in on a good pair of headphones is unbelievable, as if you can reach out and touch it.

enjoy

thanks really useful

Ehudk wrote:
dalrmi wrote:

Thanks, regards.

There is a free version:

http://www.toneboosters.com/tb-isone/

It can't be configured into pianoteq, you'll need another program to be used as a vst instruments host.
I use Cantabile Lite (a free version) as a vst host in order to use it with pianoteq:

http://www.cantabilesoftware.com/lite/

At first you should use the most basic preset in pianoteq without reverb and follow the instructions in the TB Isone manual on how to calibrate it.

Good luck!

Hi Ehudk, could you give us a clearer suggestion which presets to choose from for playing with the TB Isone? Or any tips for choosing the presets and what we should do and/or what we should avoid? For example, should we disable all the reverb/effect in the preset and what type of output should we use? Thanks!

I have downloaded Cantabile Lite and the TB Plugin (zipped folder).  I'm running windows 8.  How do I get it all merged with Pianoteq?  I'm lost. 
Update:  I think I have moved the TB plugins into Cantabile but am still trying to figure how to add Pianoteq.
When I click "new plugin" and "choose file/plugin" and find the Modartt folder in program files,  it doesnt give me a selectable file of pianoteq 5 that cantabile can take . ??????
2nd update:  Got it!  Now to make sense of it all.

Last edited by shooter (08-04-2015 16:08)

shooter wrote:

I have downloaded Cantabile Lite and the TB Plugin (zipped folder).  I'm running windows 8.  How do I get it all merged with Pianoteq?  I'm lost. 
Update:  I think I have moved the TB plugins into Cantabile but am still trying to figure how to add Pianoteq.
When I click "new plugin" and "choose file/plugin" and find the Modartt folder in program files,  it doesnt give me a selectable file of pianoteq 5 that cantabile can take . ??????

The VST DLL files for Pianoteq are not installed into the Modartt folder alongside the .exe but into default VST plugin directories (usually "C:\Program Files (x86)\Steinberg\VSTPlugins" and "C:\Program Files\Steinberg\VSTPlugins"). Do a search on your drive for pianoteq*.dll to locate them.

Tiger22 wrote:
shooter wrote:

The VST DLL files for Pianoteq are not installed into the Modartt folder alongside the .exe but into default VST plugin directories (usually "C:\Program Files (x86)\Steinberg\VSTPlugins" and "C:\Program Files\Steinberg\VSTPlugins"). Do a search on your drive for pianoteq*.dll to locate them.

Thanks Tiger22.  I found the Stenberg folder by accident and was able to add it to the Cantabile.  I've got everything running, just trying to figure out what adjustments I need to make on the Isone to get the "sound coming from the piano" effect.

Well, I played around with it last night and couldn't find a good setting.  Everything still sounds like it's coming from the headphones.  Even when I click on "the neighbours", it just sounds like the volume is turned down. 
I'm using Sennheiser HD598 using the D4 daily practice.  I'll continue to work on it.

dalrmi wrote:

ok, I succeded on adding the TB Isone Au plug-in to my iMac, now I can see it into Garageband.

I'm not finding the corresponding AU (.component file) for Pianoteq stage to be imported and used into garageband, where should I look for ?

In Garageband, the AU plugins can only be accessed via the Grand Piano instrument. There is no special menu for that purpose.

How to use the Pianoteq AU plugin in Garageband:
1. Create a new Virtual instrument track. By default, it uses the "Grand Piano" instrument.
2. In the bottom right corner, click on the "I" icon (or Command+i) to open the track info window on the right side of the screen.
3. Click on the Edit tab, and in the "Piano" drop-down list, select "Pianoteq" in the last section at the bottom of the list (Audio Unit modules).
4. After that, the icon next to the drop-down list switched from a keyboard image to sort of a big yellow orange dot between 4 brackets.
5. Click on that icon to access Pianoteq settings. Make all the settings you want, then close the window.

You can now use Pianoteq in GarageBand like any other instrument.

Does anyone have a good step by step calibration guide for this. Was looking at the new Waves NX software which seems to to what isone does though it's got a nice clear Ear Size and Head Size measurement dialog box - Just measure bits on your head with a tape measure and enter the results in cm or inches - Which is considerably easier that just a vague percentage dial like Isone has !

I've bought the plugin a year or so ago in a bundle and think with a little perseverance I can get what I need from it, though following the manual I really can't get it to move (or perceive to move) to get the sound appear like it's in front of me. In fact altering ear size, head size, HTRF strength doesn't really appear to do *anything* much apart from seemingly skew the EQ of my reference material a bit

Just bought this yesterday. As I use Pianoteq and other VSTs under Cantabile Performer (do try the 3.0 version, if you haven't), adding TB Isone was a breeze.

I immediately liked it. So far, I have used it without the "room" adjustments on, and only with the Model B.

There is a 59 page discussion of this plugin here.

I would strongly recommend that people calibrate this plugin using a source other than realtime playing. At the minimum, listen to pianoteq play a familiar midi file. Better yet, pick a high quality music track with unrealistic separation and a lot of easy to hear highs like a snare drum. Then follow the directions provided in the manual.

Only then fine tune while playing.