Topic: Model B Ringing

I have noticed a ringing sound when releasing notes without using the sustain pedal.
If I play say middle C to G then let go, I hear a ringing sound, (not the sound of string resonance).
I don't hear this with the other pianos, D4 K2, Bluthner.
Anyone else hearing this?

Re: Model B Ringing

If you make a recording and post it here it's better for the answer.

I noticed some notes have more sustained ringing to them than others even with sympathetic resonance and duplex scale at 0 (but much more so with resonance). Contrast e.g., D above middle C (more sustained ringing) with the E next to it (Model B Player). This sort of thing is a normal characteristic of real acoustic pianos. I assume it's part of the realistic physical model of the instrument.

You can change this with the damper position setting. But when you have sympathetic resonance on (as you should for realistic sound), the undamped strings of the top notes are probably the most important aspect.

edit: Strangely, changing the 'Last damper' setting only works as expected initially. If you keep increasing it all the way to 128 (that should be: all keys have dampers), there is even more sustained high pitched resonance.

Last edited by SteveLy (31-01-2016 09:36)
3/2 = 5

Thanks you have it!
The initial value of 88 works ok, but as the value is increased the high pitch resonance gets worse on all notes.

Steve Edwards wrote:

Thanks you have it!
The initial value of 88 works ok, but as the value is increased the high pitch resonance gets worse on all notes.

I'd consider that a bug or "misfeature". Maybe when you go beyond 88 notes, the physical model extends the number of notes indefinitely...? Maybe a user definable setting for the range of notes (lowest and highest) on the physically modelled instrument could be a solution.

I had a related query about turning notes off in Ptq Pro, to model different clavichords (e.g., instruments with short octave tuning).

3/2 = 5

SteveLy wrote:

edit: Strangely, changing the 'Last damper' setting only works as expected initially. If you keep increasing it all the way to 128 (that should be: all keys have dampers), there is even more sustained high pitched resonance.

This is a bug, it will be fixed (likely in the next release), thanks for pointing out.

Philippe Guillaume wrote:
SteveLy wrote:

This is a bug, it will be fixed (likely in the next release), thanks for pointing out.

Big Kudos for acknowledging that, Philippe; and so quickly on the user forums. This is the sort of thing that puts Pianoteq ahead any other comparable software/hardware.

Last edited by SteveLy (31-01-2016 16:46)
3/2 = 5

The bug is fixed in the new engine 5.5.1, available in the user area.