Topic: Pianoteq on old computers / laptops with AVLinux

Having heard good things about AVLinux, I installed the latest stable version 6.0.4 on an old Dell D620 and it's running Pianoteq 5.5 like a champ.

I could not get Pianoteq to run satisfactorily on this laptop in the past (too much latency). The D620 specs are: Intel GM945 Centrino Duo 1.8GHz CPU, 2GB DDR2 667MHz RAM, 80GB 5400rpm HD. Pianoteq 5.5 gives a performance index of 17.

Pianoteq settings: 44.1kHz (int & ext), 128 buffer, 64 note polyphony. It can handle more demanding settings but with these it will survive considerable torture testing before CPU overload.

Unfortunately the AVLinux website and "distro" is undergoing redevelopment in preparation for the 2016 release. Version 6.0.4 is no longer officially supported or available but you can get it from third party sources. And it's Debian based: uses Debian stable and testing repositories, so extra software and updates are not a problem. Here is the torrent file I used to download it. AVLinux is free open source software.

Note: AVLinux installation requires some Linux knowledge/experience. It's not as nerdy as Debian but not as easy as Ubuntu/Mint. (If you're familiar with these terms you'll be okay: root partition, swap partition, ext2, ext4, package manager, repository, superuser, root user, difference between su and sudo. If you're not, get someone who is to help you.)

Further tips to speed things up: turn off Compositing for the window manager (in Settings -> Window Manager Tweaks) and switch to a simple desktop theme (e.g., Xfce-light, in Settings -> Appearance). I also got rid of the wallpaper and just have single colour background. In Pianoteq I turned off the animated keyboard, chose Audio device type: ALSA; and set Output to "... Front speakers" rather than the default, which also seems to help.

Last edited by SteveLy (27-01-2016 23:43)
3/2 = 5

Re: Pianoteq on old computers / laptops with AVLinux

I tried the AVLinux + Pianoteq combo on an even older and slower little laptop, a Dell D410. Intel 915GM Pentium M 1.86GHz CPU, 1GB DDR2 533MHz RAM, 30GB HD.

It still works amazingly well. It will do 44.1kHz but it's much better at 48kHz external and 24kHz or 32kHz internal. Polyphony up to 64 is very doable unless one goes nuts with the sustain pedal and many notes per second (especially low ones). No perceptible latency (buffer sizes 128 or 192 work well).

This is an 11-year-old machine and it was not a particularly fast one even when it was new. Tested it using Pianoteq 5.1.1 Std (demo version) that already comes with AVLinux 6. I don't think I want to use up a Pro activation slot for this machine, but might set it up for a student with Pianoteq Stage. The small form factor of the D410 is especially convenient (it's a 12-inch). I've got to mention the fan noise (not terribly loud but it is usually going at full speed or one notch below) and that the base of the unit gets quite hot. The internals probably need a good dusting.

Last edited by SteveLy (28-01-2016 02:11)
3/2 = 5