Topic: Great "Hang Imitation" fxp

There is a great "Hang Imitation" in the fxp corner:
http://www.forum-pianoteq.com/uploads.php?id=1711
It is based on a grand piano (Bechstein from the free KIViR add-on), isn't that amazing?

Re: Great "Hang Imitation" fxp

Hang, or Hang Drum, it's  quite new instrument, created in year 2000:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xk3BvNLeNgw

Last edited by Beto-Music (11-09-2013 15:39)

Very cool!

Hard work and guts!

Yes! Quite impressive! Very nice tone...
Don't shoot the piano player, hang him!

Apologies for resurrecting an old thread, but just browsing Philippe's posts I found this thread and downloaded the preset but it does not work with Pianoteq 5 Pro. The current KIViR collection does not include the Bechstein (1896). Is there somewhere I can download earlier version instruments and will they work in PTQ 5?

3/2 = 5

Yes, go in the user area, "Downloads" tab, click on "legacy instruments" at the bottom of the page, and there download either KIViR_v3.ptq or KIViR_v4.ptq.

Thank you Philippe. It's great that the older instruments are still available. But reading the following warning on the "Legacy instruments" page, I'm hesitant about installing the earlier versions of the KIViR instruments:

We strongly recommend that you do not use several instances of the same instruments (for example, you should not have both KIViR_v3.ptq and KIViR.ptq in your Addons folder), this can lead to unpredictable results.

Which older instruments are safe to install?

I have Pianoteq 5.4.2 Pro with D4, K2, R2, W1, Kremsegg 1&2, Bluthner and the latest free add-ons: KIViR, Bells & Carillons. It's running on Linux Mint 17.2 (low-latency kernel 3.13, CPU Intel i5-3337U).

3/2 = 5

The safer is that you choose either  KIViR_v4.ptq or KIViR.ptq to have in your addons folder (but not both). You can change anyway whenever you want.

Thank you, Philippe, for the clarification.

I've created two folders for different versions of add-ons in ~/.local/share/Modartt/Pianoteq/, and have the .../Pianoteq/Addons folder as a symbolic link to whichever instrument set I choose to use.

Nice to have these earlier Modartt creations. There are some uniquely great sounding instruments there. It's striking how different the 1896 Bechstein in KIViR_v4 sounds from the 1899 instrument in the Kremsegg collection.

The Hang_1c preset is indeed impressive. The versatility of Pianoteq is amazing.

3/2 = 5