Topic: Can someone recommend a how-to guide for novice?

I am an older (60s) amateur classical pianist and I have managed to use Kontakt software with some patches for historical instruments in the past, with mixed results. Can someone recommend a book that explains the whole process of connecting midi controllers, audio interfaces, speakers, and software? In as non-technical language as possible?

I am stuck with a Windows computer, so please don't recommend anything that requires Apple or Linux.

I have yet to purchase Pianoteq, but I am tempted, because of the range of historic instruments and the fact that one of the nicest pianos I ever encountered was a Blüthner grand. Plus I am intrigued that a clavichord is included.

I gather the software is self-contained (i.e., doesn't require a midi player like Kontakt). I have a Kurzweil SP2X, but I am prepared to replace that with a more modern controller if necessary.

Thanks to anyone with concrete suggestions.

Last edited by oldionus (19-11-2015 21:51)
Amateur Standalone PTQ user; interests classical music, especially Bach and Mozart, and historic keyboards

Re: Can someone recommend a how-to guide for novice?

Hi - I am not sure if you saw this on the Pianoteq web site, but there are tutorial videos there that might help.  There is a short video located at https://pianoteq.com/tutorials?play=hookup which shows the different connections and cables you need.  Also, for a Windows computer, you will want to use ASIO4ALL (free program you can download mentioned in the video).  You can also download the Pianoteq trial version to test your hardware and software setup before making any decisions about buying the software.  I briefly looked up your keyboard and it looks like it has USB and MIDI connections.  I believe all you will have to do is connect your digital piano to your keyboard using a USB cable and your computer + Pianoteq should be able to work with it.  Also, Pianoteq is self contained (has a midi player inside it).  The software comes with plug in capable versions of the software (i.e. VST) that can be used with appropriate software able to load these plugins.

Thank you... I appreciate the tip.

Amateur Standalone PTQ user; interests classical music, especially Bach and Mozart, and historic keyboards

It really isn't that complicated when you use the standalone version.
I got a midi-usb interface, plug in the midi-in and midi-out jacks on the piano, the usb side on the computer. fire up pianoteq and.. it works. It recognized my midi interface automatically. In Windows you have to install Pianoteq, and some ASIO drivers, which I think the application gives you a link for download. I'm using a mac as of now.
It works great though, no surprises there.

After you connect everything give the trial a go and try it for yourself. The tutorials already linked were a great help.

These 2 videos also helped me understand what is going on when I tweak the settings inside the 3 main tabs for the piano sound.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=czjDwGl9xTQ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rjvHa1YpyZY

It looks like the SP2X has a built-in interface, so you should be able to plug into a USB port on your pc and play. Yes, the Pianoteq application is stand-alone too.

Your pc should have some basic audio capabilities like line out or a headphone jack. If you don't want to use headphones, you will need some sort of connection between the pc and any powered speakers. If you have a home stereo system you can use that as well.

The tricky part may be how many notes you play and and how powerful your pc is. If you hear crackling in the audio or the playing is sluggish you may have to limit the number of voices and reduce the audio buffer size (simple settings in the Pianoteq app). You should just try everything by default and go from there, and any modern pc should be fine.

Worst case scenario is that your pc is very under powered, you want better audio, etc. and you will have to look at upgrade options.

Thank you as well, John Rule, for your helpful suggestions. I have looked into it a bit and I believe it will be workable. I was also advised about ASIO and the possibility that an external sound card might help with any audio issues. My computer is a dual core Intel processor, so I gather it should be adequate. Many thanks.

I too am a novice.  Can Pianoteq be added to Kontakt?  Or can you explain how to run Pianoteq while running Kontakt.  My understanding is that Kontakt is a sampler, so since Pianoteq is a modeled, not a sampled, library, it won't run in Kontakt. 

Last year I bought a Kawai VPC1.  Pianoteq was my first virtual library.  But when the holiday sales rolled around, I bought Kontakt and some Galaxy libraries.  But when I play the Galaxy in Kontakt, I can't get any sound out of Pianoteq unless I reboot.  This is quite a nuisance.  While I haven't found a solution, I have to believe there is one.

Last edited by jocar37 (16-01-2016 18:25)

Pianoteq is a completely different program, so it cannot be "added to Kontakt". You need to run them at hte same time, for example in a DAW.

Hard work and guts!

EvilDragon - Please excuse my ignorance, but I thought a DAW was the computer used for manipulating audio signals.  If I understand you correctly, a DAW is actually, or at least also, a piece of software.  It that is not correct, kindly explain.

If that is correct, would you mind suggesting some examples of DAW software that would allow me to run multiple virtual piano libraries without shutting down either any of the programs or the computer as a whole?  (Although this could change in the future) at present I'm not particularly interested in recording or editing, just playing.  So I expect I don't need a "pro level" DAW.  Just something easy to use that will allow me to load a variety of different instrument libraries and either switch easily from one to another or even play >1 simultaneously.

Also, to what extent, if any, will playing my piano libraries through a DAW program impact things like latency?

And do I load the piano libraries that work with Kontakt into Kontakt and then load Kontakt into the DAW, or do I load the libraries directly into the DAW?  Will other libraries that don't work with Kontakt (I'm told Garritan Abbey Road is one) work with the DAW, and get loaded directly into it?

Last edited by jocar37 (17-01-2016 03:06)

Yep, DAW is a term used for program which you use to record/sequence audio. So, audio recorder/sequencer, or in short, Digital Audio Workstation.

Any DAW will do. Check out Reaper, it's affordable and quite fully featured.

DAW doesn't impact latency - your audio interface does.

You load libraries into Kontakt, but before that you need to load Kontakt in the DAW as a plugin.

Hard work and guts!

EvilDragon wrote:

You load libraries into Kontakt, but before that you need to load Kontakt in the DAW as a plugin.

From what you're saying I gather I can take my version of Kontakt and load it into a DAW as a plugin?  Also, you say "before."  Does that mean that libraries already loaded into Kontakt before I load it as a plugin won't work when I load it into the DAW as a plug in?  Will I have to delete them from Kontakt, then reload them after I load Kontakt into the DAW?

And just to be clear, in any DAW, I can load multiple piano libraries and swtich from one to the other, or play mulitple pianos at once, right?

Thanks again!  I haven't found this basic information anywhere.  Ever think of writing a "dummies" book?

All this basic information is in manuals (both for Kontakt and for any respective DAW software)... So the books are already written for you.

And yes, Kontakt loads in a DAW as a plugin. You load Kontakt first, then open the library you want.

Last edited by EvilDragon (17-01-2016 15:36)
Hard work and guts!