Topic: Easy and fast switch between presets

When playing with bands I often need to use two different PianoTeq sounds in the same song, e.g. for playing a small theme on bells or electric piano while playing normal piano in most of the song. I do not dare try to run two versions of PianoTeq in parallel, my PC is not that powerful. But then I am wondering if there is a simple way to achieve simple and fast switching?

Of course I can just switch to the other sound, but as this is a completely different instrument it takes a little time to do the switching. I can not figure out if it is possible to load two presets in A and B by midi command, so I can send on PC command that will load one preset in A and another preset in B, and then I can switch between A and B by another PC command.

Any ideas and suggestions are most welcome.

Hardware: Studiologic SL 88s + SL Mixface, Focusrite Scarlett 2i4, Lenovo Yoga I5 Windows 10 Pro
VST host: Cantabile
Other instruments: hammond (GSi VB3 II), saxophone (Selmer), harmonicas (Hohners)

Re: Easy and fast switch between presets

Presets A and B are saved with the main preset! So, when you load one preset, you actually load two complete states of Pianoteq - and these can be two completely different models, too.

So, use program changes to switch between main presets (and plan those main presets so that states A and B have sounds you need), then use another command to toggle between states A and B.

Last edited by EvilDragon (21-12-2015 13:55)
Hard work and guts!

Hi ED, thanks for the prompt reply! It never occured to me that it could be that simple, I used the A and B to switch between different presets to compare them, and was not aware of the concept "main preset", and did not expect that you could store both with a preset, as it kind of was contradicted by the idea of loading a new preset in A while keeping the existing in B to compare. I will try to work with this, if this actually works it is easier and simpler than I had hoped for. Great.

I might end up with quite a number of presets, but that is just hard work once, and then it will be a real pleasure playing gigs (the need for having more sounds available occured because I got the new Studiologic SL88 Grand, and it had far more options for configurations than my old Studiologic SL-990 XP).

Hardware: Studiologic SL 88s + SL Mixface, Focusrite Scarlett 2i4, Lenovo Yoga I5 Windows 10 Pro
Other instruments: hammond (GSi VB3 II), saxophone (Selmer), harmonicas (Hohners)

Hi ED - is this "main preset" a feature of the PRO version? I am only on Standard, and I can choose between saving a preset as full, equalizer, velocity, mics, effects and reverb.

Sorry, that's just how I call them. Same thing as "full preset"!

Hard work and guts!

Thanks. Did not work for me in the first attempt, I will give it one more try, then.

Just to make sure that I understood the process correctly. What I do is:
a) In A I select a preset (e.g. Bluethner Daily)
b) I switch to B and select another preset (e.g. Soft Rhodes)
c) I right-click on the save-button and save my preset under the name Bluethner-Rhodes
d) I assign a midi event PC 21 to load this preset

When I send a PC 21 to PianoTeq, then it only loads the Soft Rhodes (and if I am on A when saving the preset, then it only loads the Bluethner). Should I do something differently?

Really appreciate your input on this, thanks.

You need to assign your CC to the command "A/B switch" in Options->MIDI.

EDIT: Hmmm. Seems that it won't work that way, sorry. I thought Pianoteq saved states A and B with the full preset, it looks that this is not the case after all, unfortunately.

Last edited by EvilDragon (22-12-2015 12:11)
Hard work and guts!

Thanks for the help. Frankly, I would have been surprised if it worked that way, because that would somehow ruin the idea of the A/B switch: if you load a preset and it overrides what is in the other section, then you can only compare what you have already stored with the last preset you load.

But thank you for considering this.

I think I will have to find a way to manually load the presets in each of the A/B, and then use the A/B switch from my midi controller.

If I find a better (automated) solution I will post a reply.

I think you should go with two Pianoteq instances instead. When one is playing, the other one is running idle anyways, it doesn't consume much CPU at all.

Hard work and guts!

OK, worth a try. At least it can not hurt to test it. Thanks.

I can confirm that loading a pair of PTQ instances works just fine, I'm using this system since long ago... As long as you don't play any note on one instance, the CPU barely knows there is something happening ! (i5 laptop, Win 7/64,  4 GB RAM) AFAIK, it's true for other VTSi's as well, by the way, the biggest difference is the RAM used by sample-based programs.

Well, running two instances on Linux has a problem, as I get the message that the soundcard used for output is "busy". How do you handle outputs from two instances?

Torsten B. Hagemann wrote:

Well, running two instances on Linux has a problem, as I get the message that the soundcard used for output is "busy". How do you handle outputs from two instances?

Yes, that is the normal behavior, when a running software has exclusive, direct access to the soundcard. I get "busy" too, when I try to start a second PTQ on the same soundcard (Debian Linux). A solution would be a soundserver, like pulseaudio, but it costs latency used out-of-the-box. With little effort pulseaudio can be coupled with jackd, a low-latency audio-router, and then it should work performant. - If you ask me - not a very elegant solution to start two instances, just to switch between two sounds. I hope someone has a simpler solution from inside one instance.

Thanks, groovy. I think that the solution will be that I manually load the second sound in B before the song, and then be able to use the A/B switch setting handled from midi, somehow.

But it would be nice if it was possible to load both presets, one in A and one in B. If it was possible to determine the target (A, B or 'current') when using the midi command for Load preset, then it would be fairly easy, as I could use the same midi PC order to load both presets. But then I might also want the possibility to select either A or B specifically, instead of just having the switch option.

I think it would work by assigning program changes to your Pianoteq presets, then assigning a CC to A/B switch. Before your song you send a chain of 4 MIDI messages: program change for A patch, CC for A/B switch, then program change for B patch, then CC for A/B switch again (to go back to patch A).

Didn't try this, just speaking/suggesting from the top of my head. But I think it should work.

Last edited by EvilDragon (22-12-2015 22:28)
Hard work and guts!

I agree, it sounds like the right solution - except I do not have any midi modules that can send these four commands in a row, so I will have to do that manually :-). But at least I can do that between songs (I hope), so I can switch easily during the song.

I still would like everything to be automated, the less I have to remember regarding configuration and setup during the show the better, it tends to move my focus away from the music if I have to think about all the different changes I have to observe. Maybe I should consider building a midi arduino box?!?

As mentioned in another topic I just started to use Jack (on Linux Mint) to handle multiple input and output, and that also solved the issue I had with having two instances of PTQ running in parallel. Now I can open two instances and make them listen on different midi channels, works fine. I just have to use Jack as output instead of ALSA.

Torsten B. Hagemann wrote:

I still would like everything to be automated, the less I have to remember regarding configuration and setup during the show the better

Have you considered a Ctrlr panel? You can automate pretty anything you want... In your case, I think that you could assign a MIDI-out sequence to a button, and a MIDI-in trigger to that button so you activate it from your hardware controller.
Or, if you have access to your computer screen on stage, you can make a panel with big fat buttons for each preset you need (see the top-left list in Pianoteq Touch Panel).

No, I had not considered Ctrl, I did not know about it. I have been looking for a midi controller for a long time, but found them to be both rather expensive and not exactly what I needed. This is fabulous, seems I have to spend a lot of time working with Jack and Ctrl plus all the extra configuration for PTQ and the SL-88 (keyboard).

Thank you very much for the suggestion and bringing this to my attention.