Topic: Clearing the "muddiness" of Pianoteq

I just posted a different post about using the dynamic slider versus the velocity curve.  This post is also about producing a realistic sound, focusing on clarity of the sound.

Once again, I am trying to use Pianoteq with my Casio keyboard and two monitor speakers behind the keyboard in order to simulate sitting at and playing a real piano.  One thing about the Pianoteq sound that I find troublesome at this time is that from the "A" over middle C on down, the sound is fairly muddied as if I am hearing it through a curtain hung between me and the piano.  From that "A" on up, it is more clear, and more strident ( in a good way).  I have attempted adjusting different settings including hammer sound, as well as hammer tone.  The latter has settings depending upon whether you strike the keys soft, middle, or with force.  Unfortunately, both of these hammer settings appear to adjust the keyboard over its entire range, and not just in the more bass sections where the muddy sound seems to come from.  I don't know if there are other settings in addition to the percussion of the hammers that will make the piano sound less like it is being muffled by a blanket.

I did buy the Pro version of the program while it was on sale for Black Friday, and realize that I could probably find some settings to apply just to a variety of notes and drawing a curve on the note settings graphs, but I feel as if there should be some more general adjustments that I could make to get rid of the muffled muddy sound that I hear.

1 – What suggestions do people have?

2 – Are there particular effects uploaded to the FXP section that are good examples of "clean" pianos as if you are sitting in front of them?

– David

- David

Re: Clearing the "muddiness" of Pianoteq

Listen to Pianoteq through headphones before you assume its output is muddy in some registers. Are you sure your monitors are accurate enough? The Pianoteq modeled pianos are almost supernaturally clear throughout the entire keyboard compass, at least to my ears. I suspect you need to adjust or improve your monitors, not Pianoteq. Or perhaps your live listening environment is damping or reinforcing some frequencies and you need to EQ?

Well, today I just bought a 130-year-old Steinway 52" upright...I must say that it sounds WAY different than some of the brighter, sharper pianos that I've heard in the stores...and it sounds much more like pianoteq!

David

- David

The muddiness you describe sounds like what could be the result of the sound coming out of speakers in a small room (and/or poor placement in a not so small room). Moving speakers further away from the walls should help.

3/2 = 5

Try program adjustments acoustics:  http://www.ikmultimedia.com/products/arc/ ..

Turn off the reverb.
Turn off the compression.

The presets all sound like a recorded piano not one that's in the room.

N.B. After you turn off the compression you will have to turn the volume in pianoteq down and the volume on your amp up otherwise you'll get distortion when you play loud.

And use the presets "player" evidently.

Thanks.

With 131 year-old piano settling down, now partly back to Pianoteq.  Will try different settings.

https://goo.gl/photos/iecWm69NqcNaCXNL7

-David

- David

By the way, what does 'compression' refer to in the Pianoteq model?

And, does "octave stretching" refer to inharmonicity?

- David

- David

dklein wrote:

By the way, what does 'compression' refer to in the Pianoteq model?

And, does "octave stretching" refer to inharmonicity?

- David

Compression is one of the effects. See https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dynamic_range_compression

Octave stretching does not refer to inharmonicity but it has something to do with it (and human perception of pitch). It's about the tuning of the bottom and top end of the keyboard. See https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Piano_tuning#Stretch

3/2 = 5