Topic: Velocity curve versus dynamic slider

Now that I've been delving into some of the adjustments in Pianoteq, I am trying to figure out how to make my keyboard sound as if I am sitting at a piano directly in front of me.  I have my monitor speakers set up behind the keyboard, to the right and to the left.

One of the things that is been giving me trouble is the volume levels on hitting the keys.  At first I did not play with the dynamic slider, figuring that the velocity curve is plotting velocity versus volume.  I thought that the dynamics curve was just a different way to adjust this, such as in Photoshop where you can adjust exposure either by using curves, or levels, but they both serve the same function with different degrees of adjustability.  That does not appear to be the case in Pianoteq.  I am starting to get the picture that the velocity curve almost produces the same volume, but with different tones on how the hammers strike the strings, but the dynamic slider is what gives you the softness and loudness of the volume.  This isn't entirely true, of course, as low on the left on the velocity curve things do play quietly, but from its midpoint on to the right, I am getting almost the same volume level.

Can anybody chime in on realistic ways of setting the combination of the velocity curve and the dynamic slider?

-David

- David

Re: Velocity curve versus dynamic slider

Velocity curve is more of a timbral adjustment that has SOME connection to resulting volume. Dynamics slider is the actual volume from the softest ppp to the hardest fff.

The way I usually do things is set Dynamics at 40 dB or so, reduce output volume to -6 or even -12 dB (with limiter DISABLED - so it's vital to reduce output volume for as much as possible to avoid clipping it), then pump up the volume on my speakers. Boom - in your face!

Hard work and guts!

This is a super great question, thank you for asking. It is really cool that you notice that velocity curve and the dynamics slider do kind of the same thing. You can actually set your dynamics slider to the 100 dB and then set some more realistic dynamic range with a velocity curve with hard truncating at the extremes or with an exponential fall off at the quiet end (better). I'd prefer this way better actually. But since the velocity curve have the direct relation not only with a volume but with the timbre also here we got some problems. You are able to do some corrections with voicing settings but it is kind of messed up. The solution that seem ideal for me now is to get rid of the dynamics slider completely and to have separated curves one for the volume response and the second one for the timbral response (what goes to that 3 sliders "voicing" section).

The normal way is to have your velocity curve set to linear, then set your dynamics slider to something about 55 dB - this will be quite close to the real grand piano experience. And don't forget to set your speakers really loud if you are after the realism.

Last edited by AKM (12-12-2015 15:12)

Another (unrelated) modification can make the 'piano in front of you' experience much stronger: Use two virtual  mikes and move them to the front of the piano, well separated but within the width of the piano, angled a bit downwards. I was also trying for the effect you desire, and both with headphones and very near field speakers felt there was an aural 'hole in the middle' when using mikes to the side of the piano. This impression disappeared with the mikes up front.