Topic: How to make Pianoteq sound like this? (Schubert impromptu-899-3)

I'm working on this classical piece right now and I want it to sound like the yamaha's sampled  piano tone, the mid-bass notes I think are the most characteristic to yamaha's sound.

this is the piece I'm learning and in this video it's being played on a CLP370.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LLINE2zUq5M

which piano (K1, C3, M3) do you guys think will be the most appropriate to start from to make it sound like that?
and also which presets might be best??

thanks in advance!

Last edited by xkuruma (15-02-2011 09:49)

Re: How to make Pianoteq sound like this? (Schubert impromptu-899-3)

xkuruma wrote:

this is the piece I'm learning and it's being played on a CLP370.

xhuruma,

The CLP370 is my first choice now for digital piano. After checking out the Kawai CL35 I was extremely unimpressed!!! I wish to have a piano with the NW Natural Wood action as this is Yamahas best. The cheapest model that has this is, as I'm sure you realise, the CLP370.

What is your opinion of the piano action? Any problems with it? Does it acheive 0-127 velocity? Is it even/uniform. What about the Ivory similation? Anygood? Any wear?

Thank you,

Warm Regards,

Chris

sigasa wrote:

xhuruma,

The CLP370 is my first choice now for digital piano. After checking out the Kawai CL35 I was extremely unimpressed!!! I wish to have a piano with the NW Natural Wood action as this is Yamahas best. The cheapest model that has this is, as I'm sure you realise, the CLP370.

What is your opinion of the piano action? Any problems with it? Does it acheive 0-127 velocity? Is it even/uniform. What about the Ivory similation? Anygood? Any wear?

Thank you,

Warm Regards,

Chris

I'm sorry, but what I meant was that in the video I linked, the piece is being played on a CLP370, I haven't tried that piano, I own a kawai cn21.  Sorry for the misunderstanding!

------
So, I uploaded an mp3 of me playing so you guys maybe can help me improving how it sounds? (making it more like that video) (it's got a lot of mistakes but it serves the purpose ! )
maybe making it a little brighter, I don't know, I'm relatively new to pianoteq

http://www.forum-pianoteq.com/uploads.p...est1_0.mp3

and my midi file http://www.forum-pianoteq.com/uploads.p...201__0.mid

Hoping to hear some feedback !!

thanks!

Sorry I misunderstood you! As to your request, try starting with the K1 Close Mic Preset. I have actually tried myself previously to emulate the Yamaha piano sound on my CP33 in PianoTeq. Also, after reading your first post on this thread, I spent a few hours last night working on this again. It's quite a challenge, but lots of fun! I'll post my attempt in the files section when I'm happy with it.

regards,

Chris

I'm always wondering , how some people accomodate to badder sounding instruments & asking "how to make sounding like this?.. " How to compare Yamaha CLP-370 sound characteristics & engine to Pianoteq . CLP-370 have only 4 dynamic levels, sampled sound , & U like this dull & dead sound ? Better ask how to make with Pianoteq sound badder! )) But if seriously to suggest, better little bit to "play" in Pianoteq with velocity & direct sound duration knobs & find this flat and monotonous timbre.

Last edited by Shumas (16-02-2011 17:42)

Shumas wrote:

I'm always wondering , how some people accomodate to badder sounding instruments & asking "how to make sounding like this?.. " How to compare Yamaha CLP-370 sound characteristics & engine to Pianoteq . CLP-370 have only 4 dynamic levels, sampled sound , & U like this dull & dead sound ? Better ask how to make with Pianoteq sound badder! )) But if seriously to suggest, better little bit to "play" in Pianoteq with velocity & direct sound duration knobs & find this flat and monotonous timbre.

well, yes I realize it's a silly thing to do but, maybe what I like about it is the brightness of the sound, compared to my recording that sounds really mellow, I don't know, but of course the dynamics you can achieve with Pianoteq is greatly  better.

There's nothing silly about liking anything. And btw, my understanding is that current Yamahas blend the layers to conceal the transitions. (and this technique is becoming more popular - even my Casio does this)

Greg.

As a total amateur who feels lucky to have so many interesting digital models to choose from, let me just say, I love the piece, and even though the performance isn't perfect, it's very nice. I do agree with the implication, though, that PTQ will give you many more interesting piano sounds, some of which are better for Schubert than the Yamaha digital piano here. We tend to get hung up on particular favorite sounds, but I always find that exploring some new ones usually makes me like something else just as well.

Amateur Standalone PTQ user; interests classical music, especially Bach and Mozart, and historic keyboards

the Graf (with Graupner's 1819 temperment at A=435) is my go-to instrument for Schubert: 'wonderful clarity of sound with a beautiful mellow "nuttiness".  'would also heartily recommend (if you can find them) Malcolm Bilson's fortepiano recordings of the complete Schubert sonatas by way of study/appreciation—they are, imho, as close to 'definitive' as you can get... 

Matthieu 7:6