Topic: Vinyl/Tape emulation effect suggestion

Would be nice to have it also, something like this Steinberg Grungelizer or this Waves J37 Tape.

Re: Vinyl/Tape emulation effect suggestion

Disagreed. Better use a dedicated plugin, let Modartt focus on piano modeling.

u-he Satin over here. Brilliant plugin.

Hard work and guts!

Ok, kind of agree with your disagree, I'd be totally ok if Pianoteq have absolutely zero built in effects, no delay, no compressor, no fuzz, no tremolo, flanger, chorus, etc. Even no reverb. But since they ALL present already why not to add this Vinyl/Tape effect? It will not spoil the party, it does not meant to be some crazy hi-notch modelling algorithms say as they claim about Waves J37. Overall it is a not so hard to implement effect from a developer point of view.

Last edited by AKM (21-10-2015 10:06)

If it's not going to be pristine as current effects are, but some dumbed down filtering and waveshaping saturator, then I'd say don't bother. The amount of technical knowledge that went into u-he Satin (for example) is beyond the scope of Pianoteq as a product. That's why I'm saying it's going to be much better to just leave it out and use the plugins and support other developers, too. It's a special type of effect that's supposed to be added at mix stage, not at preset level. Any effects being added to Pianoteq should be focused on live performance instead - and most of them are already in there, so...

Last edited by EvilDragon (21-10-2015 10:10)
Hard work and guts!

I'd like to have it as an excessive effect for my 'live' solo performance actually. Some pops and cracks and noise, you know, old movie style... add harsh detune and compression on top... Audioease Speakerphone plugin is too expensive ;)

Last edited by AKM (21-10-2015 10:16)

I use ReelBus from Tone Boosters, when need to simulate tape recording or microphone noises. Works very well and just 20 Euro.
I agree with EvilDragon: there is no need for Modartt to make everything in the world. There are a lot of products on market for all imaginable effects.

I have another suggestion: to allow PT to use external VST-effects in its standalone version If it is not too difficult to embody such function

Last edited by Kridlatec (21-10-2015 10:33)
Pianoteq 6 Pro (D4, K2, Blüthner, Model B, Grotrian, Ant.Petrof)
Studiologic SL88Grand, Steinberg UR22mkII

Kridlatec wrote:

I have another suggestion: to allow PT to use external VST-effects in its standalone version If it is not too difficult to embody such function

It is possible, however it will needlessly complicate things, very likely impact performance (loading presets will be much slower, for example), and of course when you allow executing third-party code from your program, there will also be higher probability of stability issues as well...

Hard work and guts!