Topic: Setting up Pianoteq

Good day all!  I am new to this Forum and to Pianoteq, and would like some basic info about setting up the system in my Technics digital piano please.  I am not that savvy in the use of computers and need to know what the minimum requirements are within my piano, to be able to put Pianoteq into the system. Maybe there is a video or some other form of information available, that will fully explain everything to me.  I am assuming it has to be programmed into the piano.

Forgive me if i am asking some dumb questions, but at my age some allowances have to me made.  I have long since gone past the the time when everyone thought i was 10 years younger than i looked, to everyone guessing correctly about my age!

Thank you for your help.  Regards. JH

Re: Setting up Pianoteq

I have found information in the Forum which is sufficient for me to decide against purchasing Pianotec. There re too many things that could go wrong between the moment you press the keys and the time the sound is produced, like time lag for example. I will find some other way of improving the sound of my keyboard which is not so reliant on the help of a computer.

Last edited by JonHig (19-10-2015 10:07)

Hi JH. Before you dismiss Pianoteq - I assume you have been trying the demo version - it may be worth persevering.  I went into digital pianos nearly 3 years' ago, having played acoustics for over 60 years.  My guess is that we are not that many years' different in age ........ My view is that no DP is likely to provide good enough results from the internal sounds. (I have a relatively recent Kawai ES7, my last grand was a Kawai RX2) I tried PT4 with an old Windows laptop and didn't like it, but no latency problems with ASIO4All.  I bought a Macbook Pro - 2nd hand - with a SSD and bought sampled pianos: VILabs Steinway, Bluthner, Fazioli, because latency can be a problem with large sampled pianos.  Got better sounds than the Kawai's own, but then tried PT5 when it came out.  Suddenly it felt like playing a piano again.  Bought the Standard version with the D4, K2 and Bluthner.  Yes, it takes time to coax the sound you are looking for out of any software piano, but the differences between in-built sounds and PT5 are enormous.  That time is elongated if, as I do, you only play through speakers -  I have added monitors - and therefore need to tweak to suit the room, but the satisfaction of arriving at the sound you like should not be underestimated.  Without tweaking, I believe no software piano will give its best sound, but it's easier and cheaper than getting a technician to tweak an acustic.

There is a wealth of help available on the forum.  if you give details of your Technics and your pc, I am sure people here can advise what is possible and how to do it.  For me, apart from adding the speakers and a small DAC - both optional extras, I am also a hi-fi, to use the old term, enthusiast - it consists of 2 cables: usb midi into the laptop and audio out to the speakers.  Having sent emails etc sitting on my settee, I can move the laptop to the ES7 and be playing within a minute or so.

Thank you for your helpful post Sandalholme. I will reply to you properly tomorrow as i live in the Philippines and it is time for me to catch upon my beauty sleep!!. Have a good evening and kind regards. JH

Hi Sandalholme.  I am particularly worried about any delay there may be between the moment the key is pressed and the sound is produced. Ok for organists but not me!  I read somewhere on the forum that this can happen.  That aside, my Technics PX150 has a fine bass and middle register, but the treble is on the bright and 'tinny' side    The keyboard however is a delight to play, so if i can sort out the sound quality i shall be more than happy.

Also i am hesitant about buying the Pianotech system as i might not be able to install it properlly.  I am sure the downloading to my laptop would be  pretty straightforward. It is just what i do after that regarding hooking it up to the piano! Finally i don't know if my 5 yer old piano would be compatible with Pianotech.

Hoping all is well with you SH wherever you may be!  Thanks and regards. JH

Last edited by JonHig (20-10-2015 12:16)

Jon, you do know that real-life pianos also have a delay of up to 20 milliseconds (or thereabouts) before you actually hear any sound? All those mechanical parts have to move, after all...

With a good computer and good audio interface drivers, you can get in that ballpark, so it's not a problem.

This latency can be a problem with all software instruments - thankfully with a good audio interface (say, Focusrite, Presonus, MOTU, RME - depends on your budget) you won't need to worry about it.

Also, Technics PX150? Are you sure? Because PX150 is a Casio Privia model, not Technics. Might be one of those things reserved specifically for Asian market...

In any case, if it has MIDI out ports, it's going to work with Pianoteq. Just make sure you have an audio interface with MIDI in/out ports (or get a MIDI-to-USB cable).

Last edited by EvilDragon (20-10-2015 12:41)
Hard work and guts!

Hahaha you really are splitting hairs there ED!!  Anyway you know what i mean and i thank you for your kind help and advice.  Incidentally i made a mistake, it is a Technics 105.  Regards. JH

Not really splitting hairs, just stating the actual facts supported by physics of the piano action

Last edited by EvilDragon (20-10-2015 16:01)
Hard work and guts!

JH, one of PT's great features is the trial version.  If I remember correctly it lasts for 20 minutes before needing to be restarted and a few notes do not sound.  So, given a midi cable to the computer and an audio back to the DP's speakers, you can try it for as longs as you wish and experiment with the sounds it produces with your DP.  Assuming you are on Windows, don't forget the Asio4All free software - this itself will probably provide a better audio signal than you built-in sound card. Latency - delay between pressing a key and hearing it - can be reduced, if initially it is too long, by changing the sample rate, buffer size and polyphony.  Start with high sample rate, low buffer size and high polyphony and experiment with them to reduce latency in your particuar setup.

Sorry for ending there - urgent business calls, but for the cost of 2 cables, you can experiment as long as you wish before deciding if PT works at all, then you have all the other adjustments to create the sound you wish for.

Thank you again SH. Good idea!  I assume the sample rate, buffer size etc all comes with the Pianoteq software? Anyway i shall find out in due course how to do all these things. One is never too old to learn!  I really do appreciate your kind help.  Regards. JH

Last edited by JonHig (21-10-2015 09:51)

JonHig wrote:

I assume the sample rate, buffer size etc all comes with the Pianoteq software?

No, those parameters are related to your audio interface. You should start with 44.1 kHz sample rate and 256 samples buffer size. With a good audio interface, you can reduce the buffer size to lower the latency. Changing the sample rate will reduce high frequency content (muffle the sound), I do not advise going below 44.1 kHz. On the other hand, going ABOVE 44.1 doesn't yield any particular additional definition in the very high frequencies of the generated sound, at least in Pianoteq's case.

Currently I am playing at 128 samples buffer size with my TC Electronic Impact Twin audio interface, but I can easily go down to 64... it will just be a bit more CPU intensive (lower buffer size = higher CPU usage).

I cannot emphasize enough that you probably shouldn't use the integrated audio chip on your motherboard. They can be decent, but more often than not they're just not good enough for realtime performance. Get a proper and solid audio interface if you're serious about this.

Last edited by EvilDragon (21-10-2015 10:07)
Hard work and guts!