Topic: A noob question about hammer sound.

Good day y`all!
I was browsing the Web for a simulation of Clavinet D6 when I found out about Pianoteq. I have downloaded the demo and found out that it has Rhodes Mark 1 with Janus too! Wow! However,  I was utterly disappointed. Why the default hammer sound for all e-pianos is so loud in treble section? I mean, as we go into higher parts, the hammer sound actually becomes louder, until it really dominates the sound. It is not so noticeable when you play chords, I guess, but try to play a simple child's tune and you get this:

http://www.forum-pianoteq.com/uploads.p...rhodes.mp3

This clip shows us two facts:

1. That I play worse than anybody else on this forum

2. That the keyboard sounds not as if played, but as if attacked by a raging ape.

I do not remember the Rhodes I played to sound like this unless you stick your head deep into the case or smash the keys like an animal. I have played this at velocities around 75. This stomping sound corresponds exactly to "hammer noise" slider in standard version. If you decrease that slider, everything becomes beautiful. By the way, acoustic pianos has the same loud hammers in treble, but there it mingles with the sound rather nice. I would have bought the Stage version with electro pianos if there was a way to tune down that noise. However, to buy a full version for the access to just one knob is not justified for me. The sound fonts for Hohner and Rhodes for my synthesizer comes for 15 euros apiece.

Why the hammer sound is so loud?

P.S. This page contains some demos of the real Rhodes Mark 1.

Last edited by Barafu (15-09-2015 11:16)

Re: A noob question about hammer sound.

I agree that the hammer noise is too loud by default.

And listening to the demos of the real Rhodes gives me the impression once more that many real Rhodes have darker and thicker release noises (the hammer literally seems to stick to the tines) in the bass and a longer release.

EDIT: All this didn't keep me from buying the instrument package though since I have Standard and could tweak it sufficiently.

Last edited by Modellingoptimist (16-09-2015 16:04)
formerly known as Notyetconvinced