Topic: Piano specialization or variety of the instruments?

Hi Pianoteq forum members! Without much drama I'm curious about what do you think about the topic. Please vote and leave some comments about how you voted. I'm not trying to force anything, just some friendly communication. Also we should note that the Pianoteq forum does not represent the whole users community.

Re: Piano specialization or variety of the instruments?

I voted for the 2-nd answer.

They need both, more models and futher refinements, as the market is always improving and the competition is tuff.

Here a test for daltonism:

PunBB bbcode test

PunBB bbcode test

Most people (95%) identify the numbers with no problem. Just daltonics can't figure the numbers.
And there is test about accuracy of color perception, that is much more difficult and less than 5% of people are able to see spot number.

Even for things like face recognation there are people with superior rare capabilities (called super recognizers), and people with poor capabilities to recognize faces.

For piano sound, I presume there is something similar. There are people able to distinguish frequencies, ou combination of frequencies, melodies, with much more accuracy than overal society.
Maybe a test, a research, could indicate the percentual of piano softwares users that have skilled ears to recognize sound naturality of piano.

Last edited by Beto-Music (22-07-2015 20:27)

I was not asking about "people", it was about you personally.

Well, I want what is better to modelling technology, since this technology must go on and evolve.

The need to improve futher, to please the most exigent people (with Golden ears).

But for evolve they need money for the continuous research, and for this they need good sales, that depends from more instruments, more variety (perhaps not just in piano models).

I think that they could, for example, create a imperial Bosendorfer. But if they could wait a bit more to improve futher some details, it worth wait.

Yeah, it's called "pianoteq" and not "every-instrument-teq". Though other keyboard instruments like harpsichord certainly have their place.

Agreed about the bosendorfer, i'd like to see that as well.

I'd also like to see a church organ in Pianoteq (must be pretty simple to model) because the only good ones for linux are standalone, and not available as plugins (vst, dssi) ...check out the open-source Aeolus for a very good implementation of an organ modeling synth.

But the focus and priority should certainly be the piano models.

http://soundcloud.com/delt01
Pianoteq 5 STD+blüthner, Renoise 3 • Roland FP-4F + M-Audio Keystation 88es
Intel i5@3.4GHz, 16GB • Linux Mint xfce 64bit

Hi

Piano. I hope that Modartt continue to develop these pianosounds(and other sounds they have) and get some new pianosounds, but dont split on  many other different sounds/instruments. Because, I suppose that needs other type of modelling – and then they have less time for developing piano.

I voted 2nd variant.

Pianoteq is the only physical modelled piano, that sounds realistic and available as software/plugin (in contrast of V-piano, Physis piano, that is built in hardware). But latest sampled pianos sounds very good also (and maybe better). So, I think Modartt should focus on acoustic instruments. Current version is good, but slightly synthetic sound, especially chords -- they are too flat, maybe too ideal -- not as real acoustic piano should sound. YC5 is worst model in my personal opinion, too synthetic.

For electronic pianos and other additional Pianoteq instruments there are more good alternatives, I think. It's just waste of human-hours to develop this instruments instead of improving acoustic. Pianoteq acoustic pianos may be the category killer if Modartt will improve it.

It's just my IMHO. Don't take it too close to heart.

Last edited by Ross (23-07-2015 06:06)
Combine velocity curves: http://output.jsbin.com/cukeme/9

I'm thinking that modelling other instruments can lead to discoveries in the Pianoteq software that will bring new light to the piano models as well.
So it might be a good thing, not just to think piano 24/7

I just looove the other instruments in Pianoteq, and wouldn't be without.
The handdrums are exellent, the Vibes, the new harp...

I woted 3 :-)

For me the main focus should continue to be the Piano. I love this instrument and never ceased to be surprised by the continuous development of Modartt's models (I've been following Modartt since V2...).

Personally, I would love to get my hands on other pianos, e.g. Imperial Bösendorfer or a Shigeru Kawai.

That said, I don't mind that Modartt also pursuits other projects if they want to (and they nailed pretty good all other available instruments). 

Cheers

I voted for Number 3 but I guess 2 would suit me fine as well. I think the main focus of Pianoteq should be on acoustic and electric pianos but I am fine if Modartt explores other sounds (on a side note: I bought the Vibes pack because they sound excellent to me and I will probably buy the Harp too if they model a Venus) as long as this doesn't get in they way of pianos development.

Last edited by Chopin87 (23-07-2015 11:44)
"And live to be the show and gaze o' the time."  (William Shakespeare)

I want to know where I am shopping for what.
I am here for piano simulations, I go elsewhere for other instrument simulations.
Pianoteq is definitely losing its focus and with that it will lose its reputation - with that goes mind-share and market share, etc.

I am not at all happy with the trend toward other instruments - perhaps a name change to plucked&struck-stringsTEQ will be needed one day, or plucked_and_struck_noise_generation_teq ?  What next ? bowed ?

I dislike the so called "Pharmacies" in the USA that are some weird combination of general store/grocery store/junk food outlet/drug store/gas station.
They appear to be very profitable, apparently due to the high markup on their cheaply made products.
Diversity is one thing, lost focus quite another.

Ahh well, that is my rant of the day, over and out.

I'm clearly in the minority, because I think really good stings (groups of violins) are in order.  For me the controller is actually the limiting factor, probably because I play a Casio which in all likelihood has sub-par internal electronics.  I'd like to see Pianoteq work with a major piano keyboard manufacturer to develop a low cost very playable keyboard that legitimately transmits the full MIDI spectrum.

Last edited by GRB (23-07-2015 13:02)
Pianoteq Pro 7.x - Kubuntu Linux 19.10 - Plasma Desktop - Hamburg Steinway

GRB wrote:

probably because I play a Casio which in all likelihood has sub-par internal electronics.

Depends which Casio. Newer PX Privias have triple sensors and high-resolution MIDI velocity, so that's not too shabby at all

Hard work and guts!

EvilDragon wrote:
GRB wrote:

probably because I play a Casio which in all likelihood has sub-par internal electronics.

Depends which Casio. Newer PX Privias have triple sensors and high-resolution MIDI velocity, so that's not too shabby at all

Mine's a PX-150.  Anything below Velocity 23 and above 117 is largely absent.  MIDI recordings such as the Demo that comes with Pianoteq is much more nuanced.  Casio may have these claimed sensors, but how well they actually work is another question.  That said my Casio is playable, but it certainly could be improved, and obviously some other controllers are better.

By "newer" I meant PX5S and the like.

Hard work and guts!

I voted no 3. I think Modartt’s approach can be thought as analogous to the tick-tock model of Intel’s chip development. On a tick the manufacturing process is improved (smaller fabrication), on a tock the circuit itself is improved, and it goes on as long as Moore’s law permits…

In Modartt’s case, the tick is the improvement in modeling, mainly piano modeling that is, while the tock is the realization of various adapted instruments with the current model.

Improvements in the model are now more and more difficult to make (as in Moore’s law) and require a lot of research and development with no guarantee of success, if you remember that real-time playing is the ultimate goal. Already users with minimal hardware have performance issues...

I believe that between refinements in the model, Modartt wisely decided to use the current model to produce appropriate instruments (meaning strings or similarly modeled material, body resonance, and keyboard interaction) for which there is a demand. Not doing so, would mean long periods of silence and the danger of disappearing from the scene…

Real-time realistic modeling of a piano is cutting-edge research, something not available in the scientific litterature where published articles of full piano simulation show it is very, very far from real-time. I am quite sure that research in real-time modeling improvements goes on behind the scene at Modartt and that the piano is the basis for it all.

As for my wishes, I would sure like to see further improvements in the hammer attack, as also mentioned by ED, and also maybe a greater sense of ‘body’ for the pianos. Easier said than done …

As a more concrete wish, when the tick comes, an American Steinway would be nice...sounds quite different from the German D4.

Last edited by Gilles (23-07-2015 15:04)

Gilles wrote:

As a more concrete wish, when the tick comes, an American Steinway would be nice...sounds quite different from the German D4.

Bösendorfer is WAY overdue at this point. Screw Steinway!!!

Hard work and guts!

A Imperial Bosendorfer it's large and have 96 Keys.

I supose it can took quite extra computation if you wish create add-on with a very good natural sound

One problem is that the processors, in the last 8 years, did not evolved as we wished or expected.

EvilDragon wrote:
Gilles wrote:

96 keys are not a problem for Pianoteq, remember that D4 has the range extended beyond 88 keys, and it all runs just fine.

CPUs have evolved just fine and perfectly - we have more cores computing more FLOPS in smaller size and much less heat generated. I'd say that's a good evolution.

Last edited by EvilDragon (23-07-2015 19:53)
Hard work and guts!

EvilDragon wrote:

96 keys are not a problem for Pianoteq, remember that D4 has the range extended beyond 88 keys, and it all runs just fine.

Plus, it's pretty safe to assume that the exatra notes don't take any CPU whatsoever if you don't play them - which won't happen on a normal keyboard, unless you shift octaves to reach the extra notes.

delt wrote:
EvilDragon wrote:

Plus, it's pretty safe to assume that the exatra notes don't take any CPU whatsoever if you don't play them - which won't happen on a normal keyboard, unless you shift octaves to reach the extra notes.

Methinks the extra strings get up and wag. at least while the damper pedal is down.
How much of that is essential to the Bosendorfer sound.... I can only speculate, but if the strings are there they deserve to be heard, however subtly.
I don't think pianoteq could just leave those strings out, and it probably wouldn't take much compute power to include them anyway.

There are ways other than shifting octaves to get down there, e.g. another keyboard, maybe a mini, even a midi organ pedal board for those who also want to play 3 lines "organically"  yes, I shouldn't do that.

Last edited by aandrmusic (23-07-2015 22:54)

aandrmusic wrote:
delt wrote:
EvilDragon wrote:

METHINKS THE EXTRA strings get up and wag. at least while the damper pedal is down.
How much of that is essential to the Bosendorfer sound.... I can only speculate, but if the strings are there they deserve to be heard, however subtly.

There are ways other than shifting octaves to get down there, e.g. another keyboard, maybe a mini, even a midi organ pedal board for those who also want to play 3 lines "organically"  yes, I shouldn't do that.

DUH .... i aer veyr stipud :3

EvilDragon wrote:
GRB wrote:

...wait, WHAT?! Ok, just did some research, and OMG, my PX-150 is a Hi-Res MIDI controller!... This new Casios and a VAX keyboard are the only on the market for right now. Old VAX keyboard are out of production and the new ones are still in development stage, and they are not a piano-hammer type emulators. So this new generation of Casios are the only hi-res DP's on the market. Btw you don't need to switch the hi-res mode on or off, it is always present, you may see the Controller 88 messages in the Pianoteq MIDI velocity monitor (in the Options window) - that is it. Ok, lucky me this time, buying the PX-150 was a gamble and some parts. I'm extremely curious to check the other DP's with Pianoteq in familiar conditions. After a half of a year of using it now I know it sends hi-res MIDI. But immediately when I connected it to Pianoteq I felt that it is something extreme and unusual happens about my perception of playing. BTW I'd like to know how can I switch the hi-res off to check if I can feel the difference.

Added: I'm able to filter the hi-res messages, so I can test it a bit later, I'll honestly tell the results then. I suspect that I'll not be able to tell the difference, but we'll see. So maybe I was too excited about it, ok, will find it out soon

Second added: did some tests, hard to say actually, seems that I feel something, but only a blind test and long takes can say.

p.s.: what a clever implementation of sending a 14 bit data by 7 bit messages by using two of them!

Last edited by AKM (24-07-2015 09:17)

GRB wrote:
EvilDragon wrote:
GRB wrote:

Mine's a PX-150.  Anything below Velocity 23 and above 117 is largely absent.  MIDI recordings such as the Demo that comes with Pianoteq is much more nuanced.  Casio may have these claimed sensors, but how well they actually work is another question.  That said my Casio is playable, but it certainly could be improved, and obviously some other controllers are better.

Mate, sorry for you, no offence, but don't blame the instrument. We should not forget about our own "resolution". With right dynamics settings it's possible to do extreme nuances on PX-150, better than on a real grand.

aandrmusic wrote:

I want to know where I am shopping for what.
I am here for piano simulations, I go elsewhere for other instrument simulations.
Pianoteq is definitely losing its focus and with that it will lose its reputation - with that goes mind-share and market share, etc.

I am not at all happy with the trend toward other instruments - perhaps a name change to plucked&struck-stringsTEQ will be needed one day, or plucked_and_struck_noise_generation_teq ?  What next ? bowed ?

I dislike the so called "Pharmacies" in the USA that are some weird combination of general store/grocery store/junk food outlet/drug store/gas station.
They appear to be very profitable, apparently due to the high markup on their cheaply made products.
Diversity is one thing, lost focus quite another.

Ahh well, that is my rant of the day, over and out.

Definitely similar to my point of view. Though I'll never tell anyone what they should or should not do. I can only speak for myself and what I would like and want.

It's not fare a acusation like that.
Many people requested for a modeled harp.

I'm sure Modartt is still working hard refining piano core sound.

EvilDragon wrote:

By "newer" I meant PX5S and the like.

Does the PX5S have different a sensor system from the PX-150?

Major improvements take time.  It's not like developers and researchers can just head to the bathroom and ideas come out of their butts.  Think about the gap between the 1.0, 2.0, 3.0, 4.0 and 5.0 products.

So option one is we get absolutely nothing in the 2-3 years it will take 6.0 to be released because everybody at Modartt is concentrating 100% on the next great piano model.   Or option two,  they have a 6.0 team going down the piano path while a 5.0 team adds new features/instruments -- especially low hanging fruit that can be done fast -- for users to enjoy immediately.

Yeah, I've thought about how tedious it must be to keep trying to improve the alleged realism.

olepro wrote:

I'm thinking that modelling other instruments can lead to discoveries in the Pianoteq software that will bring new light to the piano models as well.
So it might be a good thing, not just to think piano 24/7

I just looove the other instruments in Pianoteq, and wouldn't be without.
The handdrums are exellent, the Vibes, the new harp...

I woted 3 :-)

I totally agree, there is something like a real research in pianoteq.
Anyway I think the main activity should be focused on the piano sound, because there is really a market for that.
Seriously, even if the new harp sounds really good, who wants to play a harp with a keyboard? How many harpists compared with the pianists?

To the question what should be improved on pianoteq... I don't know, I would like to hear more vibration, more "twang" in the sound

stamkorg wrote:

Seriously, even if the new harp sounds really good, who wants to play a harp with a keyboard?

In a different thread (the one alluding to Harpo Marx), I presented my own transcription of Marx's 'Take Me Out To The Ball Game', and some people were interested in how I executed the glissandi (other than in the key of C Major) while playing on a keyboard.

The answer is that I used the "diatonic" mode (by clicking on the little letter D, just to the left of the main Pianoteq keyboard),  and simply played the "E-Flat Major" double glissandi in the "key of C Major", but while engaging three virtual harp pedals: "mi-Pedal" (E natural notes lowered to E-Flat), "la-Pedal" (A natural notes lowered to A-Flat), and the "ti-Pedal" (B notes lowered to B-Flat). 

Cheers,

Joe

jcfelice88keys wrote:
stamkorg wrote:

Seriously, even if the new harp sounds really good, who wants to play a harp with a keyboard?

In a different thread (the one alluding to Harpo Marx), I presented my own transcription of Marx's 'Take Me Out To The Ball Game', and some people were interested in how I executed the glissandi (other than in the key of C Major) while playing on a keyboard.

The answer is that I used the "diatonic" mode (by clicking on the little letter D, just to the left of the main Pianoteq keyboard),  and simply played the "E-Flat Major" double glissandi in the "key of C Major", but while engaging three virtual harp pedals: "mi-Pedal" (E natural notes lowered to E-Flat), "la-Pedal" (A natural notes lowered to A-Flat), and the "ti-Pedal" (B notes lowered to B-Flat). 

Cheers,

Joe

Yes you are right and I understand.
But that will probably not be interesting for most of the harpists themselves.
A lot of things are possible with the keyboard and the use of controlers... but most of clients are keyboard players. So the more logical is to continue to improve and develop instruments based on keyboard technic, IMO

I chose the second option for several reasons:

The state of the 'main' models in v5 is still very far away from the 'wine-tasting threshold' where only the most discerning critics could reliably pick out Pianoteq out of a set of sample libraries in an ABX test, given one of its models is tweaked to mimic very closely another sample library (say Pianoteq v7).

As for piano variety - at first I would have been thrilled to see Modartt doing a modern piano* that's not a Steinway, which is the brand they seem to be partial towards. However, I've come to realize that this approaches an exercise in futility. Steinway have come to define every facet of the piano as we know it, and virtually every major brand today borrows heavily from them, at best, or outright copies them, as with Borgato and at one point, Yamaha. Sure, each brand might have their unique 'voices', but even then, they ultimately trace back to the Steinway philosophy, one which has grown very stale especially in the 21st century. For one, I would love if Modartt worked with Klavins††, Adrian Mann†, Stuart, or Boganyi to bring a truly modern take on the piano to the table. Maybe Boganyi could custom-design a new instrument in cooperation with Modartt?

*For the sake of argument, the lengths are defined to be 2m - 2.7m and constructed after 1880.

†Or at least, something radically different!

††When he decides to build another piano, if he doesn't die first!

lowendtheory wrote:

I chose the second option for several reasons:

The state of the 'main' models in v5  still very far away from the 'wine-tasting threshold' where only the most discerning critics could reliably pick out Pianoteq out of a set of sample libraries in an ABX test, given one of its models is tweaked to mimic very closely another sample library (say Pianoteq v7)...

Earlier, someone suggested that posting specific examples of desired piano sounds, or comparisons of piano sounds, might be the best step. That sounds good to me: recordings of specific notes followed by a recording of the same specific note in Pianoteq, followed by a discussion of the differences. Of course, the sound of specific notes is not all that we hear, but starting at that level might be good.

I voted for #2. Although I don't fear the team losing focus since the launch of the harp.

Generally I'm no friend of imitating non-key instruments on a keyboard but I see reasons to do this: It's due to pragmatism in studio work flows and provides new possibilities for sound design. Examples: You need just one harp glissando for a movie theme or a short steel drum pattern for Caribbean flair. In these cases it's often not worth the effort to find someone playing the real instrument.

But in my opinion solo recordings and performances on such emulations are always strange.

formerly known as Notyetconvinced

Modellingoptimist wrote:

Examples: You need just one harp glissando for a movie theme or a short steel drum pattern for Caribbean flair. In these cases it's often not worth the effort to find someone playing the real instrument.

Or you may find it here for free: Freesound.org / harp glissando or at Splice.com for some small subscription fee.

Last edited by AKM (30-07-2015 10:38)

AKM wrote:
Modellingoptimist wrote:

Examples: You need just one harp glissando for a movie theme or a short steel drum pattern for Caribbean flair. In these cases it's often not worth the effort to find someone playing the real instrument.

Or you may find it here for free: Freesound.org / harp glissando or at Splice.com for some small subscription fee.

Well, I didn't intend my examples to be interpreted that narrow .

Who knows, maybe all instruments benefit from experiences made in those side projects like especially the acoustic pianos did from the soundboard model improvements of v4 and v5.

formerly known as Notyetconvinced

EvilDragon wrote:
Gilles wrote:

I agree, something DIFFERENT from all the Steinways, both modeled and sampled.
Faz and Stuart would be NICE, though the Stuart may be difficult to get close enough to for recording reference sounds.

A little surprising that there aren't any fxps for the Stuart, maybe they are so rare that too few pianoteq enthusiasts have heard one.

Just some general observations as I read through this thread:

I'm having great luck with the Roland RD800 matching up to PT.  My Yamaha CP4 lacks the soft controllable play at velocities under 55.  However, either of these is a very expensive solution and one I didn't plan on as I bought them both to see if it might be possible to have something 'in the box' to play on stage and in the studio.  In the end, they are both nice boxes but the pianos will never be what PT edits can be and the audience response has confirmed that.

High res midi is puzzling since most instruments use far less than the 127 available so why add more?  And I defy anyone to consistently identify an instrument playing at 80 vs 81 unless there's a velocity switch at that point.  Right now, no controller is presently measuring acceleration... they just measure velocity between two points or with an impact sensor.  Thus, there is not enough information read from the keystroke to do much of anything other than what manufacturers are already doing.  But it's the acceleration measurement on the disc clavier that allows it to reproduce exactly what you play.  Piano strips/sensors in acoustic pianos are notoriously poor interpreters of what you're playing but it's still better than having no midi data at all coming from an acoustic instrument. 

And as far as variety of pianos is concerned... you will obtain a much greater variation in pianos using different mics on the same piano than using the same mics on different pianos assuming the length of the piano is roughly the same and the recording location is the same.  Having better mic emulations, and fully adjustable rooms with the option to eliminate the nagging mode problems that PT has been programmed with... would probably give you an acceptable level of the variety you're looking for.

wdco wrote:

Just some general observations as I read through this thread:

I'm having great luck with the Roland RD800 matching up to PT.  My Yamaha CP4 lacks the soft controllable play at velocities under 55.  However, either of these is a very expensive solution and one I didn't plan on as I bought them both to see if it might be possible to have something 'in the box' to play on stage and in the studio.  In the end, they are both nice boxes but the pianos will never be what PT edits can be and the audience response has confirmed that.

High res midi is puzzling since most instruments use far less than the 127 available so why add more?  And I defy anyone to consistently identify an instrument playing at 80 vs 81 unless there's a velocity switch at that point.  Right now, no controller is presently measuring acceleration... they just measure velocity between two points or with an impact sensor.  Thus, there is not enough information read from the keystroke to do much of anything other than what manufacturers are already doing.  But it's the acceleration measurement on the disc clavier that allows it to reproduce exactly what you play.  Piano strips/sensors in acoustic pianos are notoriously poor interpreters of what you're playing but it's still better than having no midi data at all coming from an acoustic instrument. 

And as far as variety of pianos is concerned... you will obtain a much greater variation in pianos using different mics on the same piano than using the same mics on different pianos assuming the length of the piano is roughly the same and the recording location is the same.  Having better mic emulations, and fully adjustable rooms with the option to eliminate the nagging mode problems that PT has been programmed with... would probably give you an acceptable level of the variety you're looking for.

Interesting notes. I'm surprised to learn that the CP4 has problems with MIDI velocities below 55. Even with a hard curve and the compressor, assuming it has an onboard compressor? More generally, you are probably in an unusual and enviable position, having an RD800, a CP4, and Pianoteq.  I, for one, would probably spend much energy and time experimenting with all of the possible variations in timbre afforded by editing the many parameters. Learn a new song? Sorry, I just want to see how a low-pass filter sounds in the tenor section of both pianos if I use a softer velocity curve and lower the lid halfway, and can I get that same sound in Pianoteq... But I hope you will be able to record some demonstrations of the strengths and weaknesses of the two pianos and comparisons with Pianoteq--are some ranges, or some notes for that matter, preferable in one instrument? Is one instrument better suited for some types of songs?

I haven't edited any parameters on the CP4, because we had to use it right away.  With the Roland, I had some time to explore the editing parameters and work with it and it's nicely set up but no matter what you do to the piano, it's use for me would be mostly for Roc and pop music and the same for the Yamaha and of the two I would prefer the Yamaha for that purpose. 

So these companies put together good products that will work as intended for most of today's music.  But if you're style of playing includes exposed solo passages of classical music that has to be played beautifully, the Yamaha isn't for you because you can't get convincing soft play with the stock settings.  The Roland sounds good played softly and medium play is okay, but when you bang it, it sounds like a beat up conservatory grand because the hard attack is too exaggerated and the decays sound like an overstressed soundboard that lost its crown.  If you try to play soft rolling arpeggios to paint a nice wall of sound the Roland sounds clunky compared to PT where even with limited voices... the piano sounds natural and you can make it swell and flow like a real concert grand.  And with PT, you can take the Steinway and turn it into a Baldwin by extending the decay.  In addition, the CP4 and the RD800 have very sterile decays that sound like single cycle loops which detracts from classical expression but doesn't affect pop music very much.

So the CP4 velocity performance is in line with Yamaha products in general (Motif Classic 8, Motif ES, Motif XS).  They WILL reach down below 55 but not with very predictable control.  And they program their sounds on that curve which for the most part, you might never notice a problem until you try to control something else with it and even then, it's not that it's bad... it's just that you don't know what you're missing.  The Roland hammer action is able to reach down WITH control to areas the Yamahas can't touch.  It seems Roland designed the hammer action to have its emphasis on the smooth articulation from very low velocities through to about midi velocity 115 (guessing).  Above 115, the Roland may be problematic for some sounds but not for piano.  When I hooked up the Roland to a Yamaha and pulled up a guitar patch that has a slide in it that you can easily get if you're playing the Yamaha's keyboard (whack the note and it slides)... it's nearly impossible to slide that guitar using the RD800.  So, it may be apples and oranges... one action does one thing better and the other does it's thing better.  Either way, my point was on these 'hi density midi' keyboards or controllers was... that having more midi resolution seems fruitless since manufacturers don't even use all 127 midi velocities available for their dynamic articulations of instruments.

I have found PT to be superior to any of the stage pianos, and nearly all of the monster memory VST pianos which all suffer from a horde of problems that seriously degrade performance which is the direct result of the lack of any editing (there's too much memory for that).  Whereas, with PT, you can edit just about anything.  But that's not easy work and the unedited versions presented by PT lack the polish needed to be able to crank up the volume on stage and have a beautiful result.  Without editing they still sound nice but not at high volume where all the demons come running out.  PT is aware of this, otherwise they wouldn't have included the option to edit most of the important things that need editing.  Their hard work was getting a product to market that is cutting edge modeling and I'm sure... being exhausted and overwhelmed by that enterprise, they were either too tired or didn't have the resources to hire a designer to come in and perfect the patches (model corrections).

Last edited by wdco (05-08-2015 18:01)

Верхний и нижний диапазоны реализованы превосходно (!!! просто чарующе!!), но в 4 и 5 октавах при игре хроматической повторяющейся последовательности или при игре терций слышна "ненатуральность", слишком большая идиализированность и одинаковость. Возможно нужна версия Pro (у меня stage), где нужно будет внести дополнительные искажения каждой ноте для большей реалистичности..

Еще у реального инструмента при игре полунажатием по звучащей струне можно немного приглушить струну молоточком. Получается весьма интересный эффект. В Pianoteq я такого не встретил..

Вот 2 проблемы, которые я нашел. Надеюсь в следующих версиях программы авторы обратят на это внимание. Спасибо за восхитительный продукт! 

(не владею в достаточной мере английским..простите..)

(google translate: The upper and lower bands are implemented perfectly (!!! charmingly simple !!), but 4 and 5 octaves when playing chromatic repeating sequence or playing thirds audible "artificiality" too big idializirovannost and sameness. Probably need a version of the Pro (stage I), where you will make additional distortion every note for more realistic ..
Still have a real tool in the game for you half-sounding string can be a bit muted string hammer. It turns out a very interesting effect. The Pianoteq I have not met ..
Here are two problems I found. I hope in future versions of the program the authors pay attention to it. Thank you for the delicious foods!
(I do not own enough english....)

Last edited by scherbakov.al (26-08-2015 17:27)