Topic: Harpsichord Body Noise

Quick question, has anybody found a way to manipulate the harpsichord functions to get the sound of faux-dynamics like on a real harpsichord where very strong playing results in a deep reverberation from the body of the instrument? I've tried with no luck.  Sure you wouldn't play Bach like this, but even still it adds a level of realism that I'm having a hard time finding outside of Roland's digital harpsichords which do simulate that sound.  Thanks!

Re: Harpsichord Body Noise

You can  change the dynamics adjustment, but not sure if it can render what you wait for.

I once suggested a option to hammer harpsichords strings and to pluck the piano strings.

The body of a  real harpsichord will resonate according to the registers used e.g. 2X8 + 4 will resonate more than the upper 8 alone etc.  As there is virtually no way on an acoustic harpsichord of varying the dynamics within a single stop - depressing the keys very quickly can make a minute difference - then the only other way to increase the sound volume note by note woud be to switch on, rather than off, touch control on the DP/controller.  Fine if want this effect, but it won't be reproducing what is available on acoustic harpsichords, it will be an extra facility gained by modern technology. Dynamics on acoustic harpsichords are created by changing stops - to be used sparingly - or, largely,  by phrasing/articulation

Good physical copies of original harpsichords have a great deal of resonance: thsi is reproduced reasonably faithfully with good sampling or modelling.

Casiquire,

If you like to simulate some semblance of the faux dynamics effect that you’re after, you can maybe try increasing the Duplex parameter at high velocities and decreasing it at low velocities.
And if you automate the Duplex-parameter with, say, a foot-controller, you don’t even have to program those faux dynamics afterwards, like I had to do in the following example (where the Duplex is controlled by the modwheel). The effect is grossly and tastelessly exaggerated in this very quickly made example, but it’s just to illustrate the trick:

http://users.telenet.be/re-peat/Cembalo_ModDuplex.mp3

It would be easier of course if the Duplex parameter could be set to be modulated by velocity, but that is not an option at the moment.

Not sure of the sound of the increased Duplex-parameter is the sort of thing you’re looking for, but to my ears it does sound suggestive of a bit more body resonance.

_

Last edited by Piet De Ridder (27-07-2015 15:19)

Ha! That's a great trick, Piet!

Hard work and guts!

That's definitely getting closer to what I'm after, thanks!  I'll get started on messing with that.

Sounds very good, Piet. And it's a good argument for adding the ability to modulate the Duplex parameter by velocity. (Of course, I would like to have a velocity scaler for all or most of the parameters, to set their response, positive or negative, to velocity. The effects, too--a little more reverb with a little more velocity? On the electric pianos, a little more, or less, flanger with increased velocity?)

Regardless, on the harpsichord, the Duplex sounds good with your assignment to the foot controller.

Last edited by Jake Johnson (27-07-2015 23:14)

Jake Johnson wrote:

The effects, too--a little more reverb with a little more velocity? On the electric pianos, a little more, or less, flanger with increased velocity?)

Effects aren't polyphonic, that wouldn't work well.

Hard work and guts!

EvilDragon wrote:
Jake Johnson wrote:

The effects, too--a little more reverb with a little more velocity? On the electric pianos, a little more, or less, flanger with increased velocity?)

Effects aren't polyphonic, that wouldn't work well.

I'm pausing over why an effect would need to be polyphonic for its depth to be modulated by velocity. You're thinking of playing a chord, with some notes hit harder than others? The program cannot apply varying degrees of reverb, say, to each note, but must instead apply the same amount of reverb to each note?

Precisely. Velocity is a polyphonic modulator - there's one value for each played voice. Effects are applied to the summed output. Therein lies the rub.

Hard work and guts!