Topic: Grimaldi and Blanchet harpsichords lowest note == F or G?

Just wondering, usually most harpsichords range from the low F and not the G, older ones have a more limited range... but in pianoteq both the Grimaldi and the Blanchet, when the keyboard is set to "original instrument range" mode, stop at the low G. The picture of the Blanchet on the site also clearly shows the keyboard ranging down to the F, but the Grimaldi we can't really see clearly.

I'm just curious because i'm learning/arranging a harpsichord piece right now, and i want my "arrangement" to be playable on a real harpsichord. (in pianoteq this isn't a problem with the extended keyboard ranges)

/* edit */

On a related note (hehe) ... why doesn't the extended range on these old instruments cover the whole 88 keys?

Last edited by delt (18-07-2015 21:00)
http://soundcloud.com/delt01
Pianoteq 5 STD+blüthner, Renoise 3 • Roland FP-4F + M-Audio Keystation 88es
Intel i5@3.4GHz, 16GB • Linux Mint xfce 64bit

Re: Grimaldi and Blanchet harpsichords lowest note == F or G?

delt wrote:

Just wondering, usually most harpsichords range from the low F and not the G, older ones have a more limited range... but in pianoteq both the Grimaldi and the Blanchet, when the keyboard is set to "original instrument range" mode, stop at the low G. The picture of the Blanchet on the site also clearly shows the keyboard ranging down to the F, but the Grimaldi we can't really see clearly.

I'm just curious because i'm learning/arranging a harpsichord piece right now, and i want my "arrangement" to be playable on a real harpsichord. (in pianoteq this isn't a problem with the extended keyboard ranges)

This is a bug, thank you delt for pointing out. Both Grimaldi and Blanchet should start at F when the keyboard is set to "original instrument range" mode. We will correct it in the next update of the KIViR instruments.

No problem, glad i could help

btw i'm still wondering ---

delt wrote:

On a related note (hehe) ... why doesn't the extended range on these old instruments cover the whole 88 keys?

http://soundcloud.com/delt01
Pianoteq 5 STD+blüthner, Renoise 3 • Roland FP-4F + M-Audio Keystation 88es
Intel i5@3.4GHz, 16GB • Linux Mint xfce 64bit

The KIViR.ptq file has been updated, you can download it from the user area. Please note that it requires the latest version 5.3.

EDIT: delt, regarding your other question, we extended the range up to where we found it was still nice sounding.