Topic: Brand new Roland 88 note controller keyboard (about time!)

http://www.rolandconnect.com/product.php?p=a-88

Re: Brand new Roland 88 note controller keyboard (about time!)

http://www.dv247.com/computer-hardware/...rd--101537

I'm getting one!

Hi all,

I demoed the PHAlll Ivory Feel G Keybed today and it felt too spongey and shallow. I also tried the two other Roland PHAlll Keybeds - the top of the range PHAlll that is used in the V-Piano and the other top end stage/digital pianos, and the PHAlll Ivory Feel S Keybed used in the FP-7F. The store also has an upright Roland digital piano which also utilises the latter (PHAlll Ivory Feel S).

Out of these three of Roland's offerings, I found the Ivory Feel S to be the most responsive. The Ivory feel G, as stated, felt much too spongey and shallow. The PHAlll (V-Piano), while feeling more 'woody' than the Ivory Feel S, felt more heavy and sluggish. However, the Ivory Feel S felt more definite and skeletal. It felt lighter than the other two Keybeds, and the feel of the Ivory Feel S on both the stage piano FP-7F and the digital piano with this same Keybed felt identical. Of course they should do being the same Keybed, but many times, the same Keybed in different models will actually feel noticeable different to the discerning pianist/keyboardist. This consistency in the Roland models/Keybeds is reassuring.

The A-88 has great action, it's from the V-Piano, which was probably the idea of releasing it, and watching the lack of sales, so using spare parts.
Three continuos controllers, USB power and 999 USD list makes it a bit pricey, but is tiny and has the action of a good Kawai controller, so it's a winning keyboard for me.

Hardware Analog, DSP, PhysMod. VSTi Romplers....

It is not the action from the V-Piano or RD700, it is the action of the FP-4F.

Very disappointing...

Experimentor wrote:

It is not the action from the V-Piano or RD700, it is the action of the FP-4F.

Very disappointing...

Could it be the weight they are trying to minimise, which would influence the action they would leverage and is therefore a compromise?

Any keyboard player who has gigged knows how annoying a heavy keyboard is to move around, and there is a very real risk of injury when it comes to 88-note weighted keyboards if you try to move them on your own.  They can also be incredibly bulky.  I once pulled my back carrying a Korg T1 to a gig.   Not pleasant.  And you still need to pack the keyboard amp, argh!

According to Roland: (http://www.roland.com/piano/stage.html)

FP-4F is 16.6 kg  (action listed only as 'Ivory Feel-G keyboard')
FP-7F is 24 kg  (action listed as 'PHA III Ivory Feel-S Keyboard with Escapement')
RD-700NX Version 2 is 25kg (action listed as 'PHA III Ivory Feel keyboard with Escapement')
V-Piano is  38.2kg*!! (action listed as 'PHA III (Progressive Hammer Action III) Ivory feel Keyboard with Escapement')

*The V-Piano weight may include the stand, it doesn't break it out

whereas (http://www.roland.com/products/en/A-88/)

A-88 is only 15.9kg (action listed as 'Ivory Feel-G keyboard with Escapement')

So it looks like you may be right on the choice of action - but at least its a minor but extra saving on weight.

And of course it may be a compromise too far.  If you are only going to use it at home you might consider something heavier with a less compromised action.

Also, a critical point is how you amplify properly.  At home I'd consider leveraging a Yamaha Clavinova or something similar for their speakers, keyboard and the fact that they blend in slightly better as furniture.  It's really straightforward to hook up a laptop and turn down the internal sounds as you know.

As always, you pays your money and you makes your choice!

Last edited by merefield (05-09-2012 07:16)

Looks like a great controller for gigging but I doubt it has Roland's top of the line action, which BTW I feel is the best on the market for feel, reliability and cost.

SteveO

Correction, I'm not getting one!

What a shame. I love the PHA III on my RD700NX but I really don't like the "G" version which is nothing like it. It feels weirdly spongy to me. I've been assuming that the non G versions need some depth (front to back) for their hammer mechanism as both the RD700NX and FP7F are similar dimensions. However, the pictures I can find online show a compact action that looks like it could fit in this new controller. Maybe the pictures are actually the G version.

How's the D Beam? Does it work as a mod wheel could?

I would really love to replace my M-Audio Keystation 88. I hate the action, and the interface sucks too. I'd like to go try this one out, although I'm allergic to Roland interfaces too. I need to look around this forum, but is there a general consensus on a good action under $1000 88 key controller?

I just don't have the time to search this whole forum an read every thread. And advice would be welcome.

Thanks.

(of course I found the thread right below this one)

Last edited by nightwatch (20-09-2012 07:30)
Regards,
Steve Steele
stevesteele.com
Music theorist, composer, Vienna Ensemble Pro templates, YouTube channel (Mains: 2 Mac Pros, Digital Performer, Vienna Ensemble Pro, and an iPad Pro.)

nightwatch wrote:

... I need to look around this forum, but is there a general consensus on a good action under $1000 88 key controller?

Try the Korg SP250. Pretty simple, sells for $700, uses their top-of-the-line keyboard. But has no wheels or other MIDI-type knobbies.

nightwatch wrote:

I need to look around this forum, but is there a general consensus on a good action under $1000 88 key controller?

As far as keyboards, I don't think there is a consensus on much of anything around here except that we all want one that feels like a real piano but can't find it. That goes for ones both over and under $1,000. You can certainly get some good leads on this forum but the only way to do that is to search through the previous posts. Fortunately for you, this forum is not all that active so you want need to spend too much time. Ok, I'm being a bit facetious, but this forum is kind of inhabited by a niche group, that being those of us who really, really like Pianoteq. This is a very knowledgeable group, so go ahead and search a bit but don't be afraid to go to other sites for more info. Whatever you find, there's no substitute for going into a shop and trying a bunch of boards. I'm sure that is obvious, though. Do you live in an area where you can try some things out?

mabry wrote:
nightwatch wrote:

I need to look around this forum, but is there a general consensus on a good action under $1000 88 key controller?

As far as keyboards, I don't think there is a consensus on much of anything around here except that we all want one that feels like a real piano but can't find it. That goes for ones both over and under $1,000....Do you live in an area where you can try some things out?

Thanks mabry. I live in Houston, so yeah. There are many places to shop. The problem is that I really need two or three keyboards. One that has a great keyboard, and one that has really good controls. I don't mind buying a keyboard and a controller separate. I'd be using this for serious practicing (I have a piano but it's from 1875 and the feel is quite off), recording in my home studio (for playing other orchestral instruments too) and possibly on the gig too if I choose to use PianoTeq or a sample lib with my laptop. I'd prefer to use something like a Nord live, but once these apps run well on an iPad (soon I suppose), then a simple keyboard and an iPad will be fine. I wish all keyboards had a mod wheel or an expression pedal. Those that don't create a problem or me. But, regardless, I need a very good playable keyboard.

Thanks for the tips.

Regards,
Steve Steele
stevesteele.com
Music theorist, composer, Vienna Ensemble Pro templates, YouTube channel (Mains: 2 Mac Pros, Digital Performer, Vienna Ensemble Pro, and an iPad Pro.)

nightwatch wrote:
mabry wrote:
nightwatch wrote:

As far as keyboards, I don't think there is a consensus on much of anything around here except that we all want one that feels like a real piano but can't find it. That goes for ones both over and under $1,000....Do you live in an area where you can try some things out?

Thanks mabry. I live in Houston, so yeah. There are many places to shop. The problem is that I really need two or three keyboards. One that has a great keyboard, and one that has really good controls. I don't mind buying a keyboard and a controller separate. I'd be using this for serious practicing (I have a piano but it's from 1875 and the feel is quite off), recording in my home studio (for playing other orchestral instruments too) and possibly on the gig too if I choose to use PianoTeq or a sample lib with my laptop. I'd prefer to use something like a Nord live, but once these apps run well on an iPad (soon I suppose), then a simple keyboard and an iPad will be fine. I wish all keyboards had a mod wheel or an expression pedal. Those that don't create a problem or me. But, regardless, I need a very good playable keyboard.

Thanks for the tips.

You might like to try out the Acuna 88 by Studiologic. Apparently it has an excellent action, very responsive and authentic. It's the lowest priced controller containing the TP100LR Fatar action. To give you some idea of the calibre of the TP100LR, Waldorf use it in their nearly £3000 Zarenbourg! Waldorf purport to have chosen this keybed for it's responsiveness. In fact, I have one on order which is coming from Germany. I shall be writing a review as soon as I've had received it and given it a whizz!

Kindest Regards,

Chris

I bought the Roland A-88 controller, and it is just AMAZING with Pianoteq 5.

I've had a baby grand piano for more than 20 years, and after moving to a new place, I had to put the piano in the living room in an open space where it took too much space. Not to mention, that I couldn't play without disturbing a lot of people. So, I decided to sell it and set me up with a Roland A-88 controller, a high quality audio interface, a set of pro headphones, and of course Pianoteq 5 (running on a laptop).

This is the best decision I ever made. No more tuning, voicing, action adjusting, humidity control!

I am amazed at the feel of the touch. It feels like ivory (which I had on my real piano), and the weighted action with double escapement feels like the real thing. You can set 5 levels of sensitivity on the A-88 (from light to hard) and, combined with a proper velocity curve setting (use the Roland RD-700NX which has the same action), I swear I feel like I am playing on my real piano, with an improvement on sound, thanks to Pianoteq's D4 piano, which is a marvel.

The other night, I was improvising on my A-88. At some point, while I paused and closed my eyes for thinking of a different variation, I heard the resonance of the strings still going since I had not raised my hands from the keyboard (normal on a real piano), and continued to play with my eyes closed actually believing I was playing on a real piano. What took me out of that impression was the fact that my pedals were sliding away...

I highly recommend the Roland A-88.

Tip: find some way of sticking the pedals to the floor if you want to be fully immersed in the realism the controller can convey.

BMil,

Did you consider and play a Kawai VPC-1 before purchasing your Yamaha?

Ian

Beemer wrote:

BMil,

Did you consider and play a Kawai VPC-1 before purchasing your Yamaha?

Ian

I didn't, because I wanted to do more than just piano with it. I am also doing syth music and classical strings composition as well and the A-88 provides a lot of controls for midi implementation with Logix X on the Macintosh.

BMil wrote:

I bought the Roland A-88 controller, and it is just AMAZING with Pianoteq 5.

Tip: find some way of sticking the pedals to the floor if you want to be fully immersed in the realism the controller can convey.

I have my Casio pedal velcroed to a heavy steel plate with four silicon caulk feet, one on each corner.  I got the steel as remnant at a local steel supplier here in Denvver, CO.

http://www.dencol.com/steel.html

The plate is big enough for my heel to rest on and it doesn't budge on carpet or hard flooring.  For those that don’t know, Silicon caulk can be smoothed with ordinary paint thinner before it has hardened, and still in a gooey state.

Pianoteq Pro 7.x - Kubuntu Linux 19.10 - Plasma Desktop - Hamburg Steinway