Topic: equal temperament

hi,

my singing teacher had recently his piano tuned by a tuner who does the tuning by ear and doesn't make use of those tuning aids. This tuner only knew how to do the equal temperament tuning, but my teacher said that his piano has now an overall much warmer sound to it. Never again will he go back to a tuner that needs these aids.
Makes me wonder how this compares to the tunings in Pianoteq. Tuning is probably more subtle than can be done by mathematical design alone. Let's say modeled grand X is tuned according to equal temperament in Pianoteq vs a manual tuning from the real grand X. Would that make a noticeable difference?

I asked my teacher to play something in A flat vs G whether that would make any difference since they are both different keys, but he didn't notice any difference in key color, just that the overall sound of the piano was warmer. His ears are musically more developed than mine I have to add (and admit).
I am trying to spot the difference between equal vs. well tempered. The latter is to be preferred as I believe each key has a somewhat distinct character compared to the equal temperament tuning.
That I am still trying to figure out myself, but I also wonder this is a purely mathemical implementation in Pianoteq and for every modeled instrument the same, whereas if a piano tuner would tune each instrument according to a well tempered format it would not be identical for each instrument. So I wonder how different would it sound?
Any views or other experiences on this?

Last edited by Jose (20-06-2015 16:00)

Re: equal temperament

Jose wrote:

hi,

my singing teacher had recently his piano tuned by a tuner who does the tuning by ear and doesn't make use of those tuning aids. This tuner only knew how to do the equal temperament tuning, but my teacher said that his piano has now an overall much warmer sound to it. Never again will he go back to a tuner that needs these aids.
Makes me wonder how this compares to the tunings in Pianoteq. Tuning is probably more subtle than can be done by mathematical design alone. Let's say modeled grand X is tuned according to equal temperament in Pianoteq vs a manual tuning from the real grand X. Would that make a noticeable difference?

I asked my teacher to play something in A flat vs G whether that would make any difference since they are both different keys, but he didn't notice any difference in key color, just that the overall sound of the piano was warmer. His ears are musically more developed than mine I have to add (and admit).
I am trying to spot the difference between equal vs. well tempered. The latter is to be preferred as I believe each key has a somewhat distinct character compared to the equal temperament tuning.
That I am still trying to figure out myself, but I also wonder this is a purely mathemical implementation in Pianoteq and for every modeled instrument the same, whereas if a piano tuner would tune each instrument according to a well tempered format it would not be identical for each instrument. So I wonder how different would it sound?
Any views or other experiences on this?

Interesting question. I think that the only way to arrive at an answer would be to hire a tuner who tunes by ear to tune one of the Pianoteq instruments. The problem would be that the tuner would have to have a fairly thorough knowledge of Pianoteq Pro, with its abilities to adjust the balance of the unison detunings and more.

Jake Johnson wrote:

Interesting question. I think that the only way to arrive at an answer would be to hire a tuner who tunes by ear to tune one of the Pianoteq instruments. The problem would be that the tuner would have to have a fairly thorough knowledge of Pianoteq Pro, with its abilities to adjust the balance of the unison detunings and more.

Hello Jake,

As a person who was born with perfect pitch, and who tunes pianos professionally since the early 1970's, I would like to share how I tune a real piano (by ear).  After "laying the bearings" in the two octaves that flank middle C, I proceed to tune the octaves in unison with the overtones I hear from the originally tuned two octaves' worth of strings.  It is only then that I go back to the piano and "begin" my own specialized tuning process with the trichords (notes with three thin, steel strings per note). 

Upon confirming that the middle string (of the three per note) is satisfactorily tuned, I proceed to tune the string to the left of middle, such that it emphasizes the octave overtones (i.e., the "even-numbered" partials are in tune with the middle string).  Next, I tune the string to the right of middle, such that it emphasizes primarily the interval of a twelfth (octave + a fifth) -- the odd partials.

Regarding electronic tuning devices:
Most electronic tuning devices are set to tune all notes to equal temperament in the usual approximately 5 octaves that they "hear".  What? Only five octaves?  Aren't electronic tuners supposed to hear the full range of a piano?  Essentially, yes, except that many electronic tuners are really designed for tuning guitars, and their accuracies are inadequate for the extremely fine adjustments required for piano tuning.  When one goes very high, or very low in the piano's keyboard range, such electronic tuners either "wink out", giving you no signal, or they pick up weird overtones that are almost harmful to the human tuner.  (They can be off as much as a fifth, high or low, without the human tuner knowing the wrong overtone is being picked up.)

Although I admit to using such a tuning device as a referee (when I have trouble making my various tuning checks work to my aural satisfaction), such tuning devices generally do not work "out-of-the-box" with zero compensation for inharmonicity.  If an educated tuner is going to use these devices, he must be aware that he must listen "to the piano", rather than simply tuning to a strobe device.

Now, to your question regarding Pianoteq Pro:
It is because the grand pianos are essentially 9' concert grands (the U4 upright excepted), the degree of stretching becomes less and less a factor, because the strings are longer.  In other words, inharmonicity of Pianoteq's concert instruments is less an issue than in real-world (i.e. shorter grand and stumpy upright) pianos that are found in peoples' homes and studios.  Additionally, Pianoteq's detuning sliders do not facilitate tuning individual strings of trichords.  Yes, I have played around with attempting to tune Pianoteq by ear, but the adjustments are too foreign to my normal piano tuning technique (using a tuning hammer/wrench by "feel") and blocking individual strings with rubber wedges.

Short answer about Pianoteq:
It is because of Pianoteq's detuning sliders' inability to adjust tunings of individual strings within a given note, that I do not tune Pianoteq in the manner that a real acoustic grand would be tuned.

Cheers,

Joe

Last edited by jcfelice88keys (20-06-2015 18:21)

jcfelice88keys wrote:

It is because the grand pianos are essentially 9' concert grands (the U4 upright excepted), the degree of stretching becomes less and less a factor, because the strings are longer.  In other words, inharmonicity of Pianoteq's concert instruments is less an issue than in real-world (i.e. shorter grand and stumpy upright) pianos that are found in peoples' homes and studios.

Thanks for your elaborate reply.
As for the Kremsegg collection, the Bechstein (1899) has a string(?) length of 2.50m. This is most likely the length of the instrument, the string length of the Steinway grand is certainly not 2.70 m as given in the menu.
All other historical instruments have even shorter string lengths.

I myself have the Pianoteq standard version.

Jose wrote:
jcfelice88keys wrote:

It is because the grand pianos are essentially 9' concert grands (the U4 upright excepted), the degree of stretching becomes less and less a factor, because the strings are longer.  In other words, inharmonicity of Pianoteq's concert instruments is less an issue than in real-world (i.e. shorter grand and stumpy upright) pianos that are found in peoples' homes and studios.

Thanks for your elaborate reply.
As for the Kremsegg collection, the Bechstein (1899) has a string(?) length of 2.50m. This is most likely the length of the instrument, the string length of the Steinway grand is certainly not 2.70 m as given in the menu.
All other historical instruments have even shorter string lengths.

I myself have the Pianoteq standard version.

Regarding the exact (tricky) meaning of the string length in Pianoteq, please read following post:
http://www.forum-pianoteq.com/viewtopic...93#p928593

jcfelice88keys wrote:
Jake Johnson wrote:

Hello Jake,

As a person who was born with perfect pitch, and who tunes pianos professionally since the early 1970's, I would like to share how I tune a real piano (by ear).  After "laying the bearings" in the two octaves that flank middle C, I proceed to tune the octaves in unison with the overtones I hear from the originally tuned two octaves' worth of strings.  It is only then that I go back to the piano and "begin" my own specialized tuning process with the trichords (notes with three thin, steel strings per note). 

Upon confirming that the middle string (of the three per note) is satisfactorily tuned, I proceed to tune the string to the left of middle, such that it emphasizes the octave overtones (i.e., the "even-numbered" partials are in tune with the middle string).  Next, I tune the string to the right of middle, such that it emphasizes primarily the interval of a twelfth (octave + a fifth) -- the odd partials.

Regarding electronic tuning devices:
Most electronic tuning devices are set to tune all notes to equal temperament in the usual approximately 5 octaves that they "hear".  What? Only five octaves?  Aren't electronic tuners supposed to hear the full range of a piano?  Essentially, yes, except that many electronic tuners are really designed for tuning guitars, and their accuracies are inadequate for the extremely fine adjustments required for piano tuning.  When one goes very high, or very low in the piano's keyboard range, such electronic tuners either "wink out", giving you no signal, or they pick up weird overtones that are almost harmful to the human tuner.  (They can be off as much as a fifth, high or low, without the human tuner knowing the wrong overtone is being picked up.)

Although I admit to using such a tuning device as a referee (when I have trouble making my various tuning checks work to my aural satisfaction), such tuning devices generally do not work "out-of-the-box" with zero compensation for inharmonicity.  If an educated tuner is going to use these devices, he must be aware that he must listen "to the piano", rather than simply tuning to a strobe device.

It is because the grand pianos are essentially 9' concert grands (the U4 upright excepted), the degree of stretching becomes less and less a factor, because the strings are longer.  In other words, inharmonicity of Pianoteq's concert instruments is less an issue than in real-world (i.e. shorter grand and stumpy upright) pianos that are found in peoples' homes and studios.  Additionally, Pianoteq's detuning sliders do not facilitate tuning individual strings of trichords.  Yes, I have played around with attempting to tune Pianoteq by ear, but the adjustments are too foreign to my normal piano tuning technique (using a tuning hammer/wrench by "feel") and blocking individual strings with rubber wedges.

Short answer about Pianoteq:
It is because of Pianoteq's detuning sliders' inability to adjust tunings of individual strings within a given note, that I do not tune Pianoteq in the manner that a real acoustic grand would be tuned.

Cheers,

Joe

Joe and Philippe,

I've thought for some time about finding a way to come to a more precise knowledge of how to set the unison detuning. With the Pro version's ability to set the detuning in multiples of the default detuning (with a setting of 0 =ing perfect unisons) and the ability to set the unison balance, we can come close, but we are still unable to hear or know the exact freq's of each string. Which could lead to a feature request, but I'm not sure that this feature request makes sense:

The request would be to allow the user to mute each unison string as desired, so that we could listen for changes in pitch\timbre\string interaction as we adjusted the Unison detuning and the Unison balance. However, as I say, I'm not sure that such a feature is even possible, since Pianoteq may calculate the combined pitches and interaction of the strings very early in the calculations or reference tables. Muting might require that the combined pitches and resulting timbre be deconstructed, in a sense, at a later stage in the equations. Or possibly not, if the muting simply led the program to skip one part of the equation early on in the sound generation? Philippe?

Last edited by Jake Johnson (20-06-2015 20:26)

Jake Johnson wrote:

I've thought for some time about finding a way to come to a more precise knowledge of how to set the unison detuning. With the Pro version's ability to set the detuning in multiples of the default detuning (with a setting of 0 =ing perfect unisons) and the ability to set the unison balance, we can come close, but we are still unable to hear or know the exact freq's of each string. Which could lead to a feature request, but I'm not sure that this feature request makes sense.

Hello Jake,

Thank you for your interest in this fascinating subject of tuning, inharmonicity and detuning.  Any questions you have, I would be glad to articulate what I happen to know about them.

I wish to make a comment about so-called perfect unison tuning:
Personally, in some of the worst tunings I have heard, I strongly suspect that the tuner used an electronic tuning device to "tune" each note of a trichord to exactly the same pitch!  To my ears, such tuned pianos sound "dull" -- in tune, but somehow not well-tuned -- to the point that one does NOT hear as much of the harmonic series in the so-called tuned notes. 

Yes, the above sounds paradoxical:  How is it that a perfectly (electronically assisted and zero de-tuning) tuned trichord sounds somehow wrong?
That's because the trichords need to be tuned in such a way that the individual notes' overtone series seem to "bloom" over a short time span.  The order of magnitude that I "de-tune" (actually, I hate that term, because I consider that I am "voicing" the note via tuning!) is on the order of, say, 0.2Hz or less(!) from absolute unity!  The reason that my left string will allow the octave overtone to "bloom" or "emerge" --- is something that happens only when you hold down the note for about 5 seconds or longer.  The same amount of "detuning" occurs with the right string that I voice the odd partials to emerge.

It is only now that I have explained the way that I tune trichord unisons that you can understand why a so-called perfect trichord tuning regimen leaves the piano dull and lifeless.  In fact, I am reminded of other famous sampled piano libraries, whose tuners must surely had "perfectly" tuned each string to be in absolute unison.  At the same time, this is why I think that essentially all of the sampled piano libraries might sound "pretty" at first blush -- but upon repeated playing, they seem lifeless.

Hopefully this makes sense.

Cheers,

Joe

I don't think any tuner would be fool enough to tune all strings individually via an electronic tuning device. Moreover it would be a nonsense, because the frequency of an individual string changes whether the other strings are muted or not. Actually the expression "frequency of an individual string" itself is a nonsense when strings are coupled, because the vibration modes of coupled strings are not localized on individual strings but live on all strings. For example, in the case of 2 coupled strings, one mode consists of the two strings vibrating in phase, this mode having a fast decay because energy is efficiently transmitted to the soundboard, the other mode consists of the two same strings vibrating in opposite phase,  this mode having a slow decay because energy is inefficiently transmitted to the soundboard. And icing on the cake, those two modes *cannot* have the same frequency unless the soundboard impedance at the associated frequency range has a zero imaginary part, which is almost never the case. All this is know since the work of Gabriel Weinreich in 1977 (‘‘Coupled piano strings,’’ J. Acoust. Soc. Am., 1977).

I guess all of this elaborate tuning work only lasts for a short time (days, weeks, a month at most?) as the piano detunes itself over time.... am i right? Unless all the strings detune themselves by the exact same amount, which isn't likely to happen.

http://soundcloud.com/delt01
Pianoteq 5 STD+blüthner, Renoise 3 • Roland FP-4F + M-Audio Keystation 88es
Intel i5@3.4GHz, 16GB • Linux Mint xfce 64bit

delt wrote:

I guess all of this elaborate tuning work only lasts for a short time (days, weeks, a month at most?) as the piano detunes itself over time.... am i right? Unless all the strings detune themselves by the exact same amount, which isn't likely to happen.

You are perfectly right. It can even get slightly out of tune during a concert, particularly if the pianist plays fff passages. This is why usually the tuner stays during the concert and retunes a few notes during entr'acte. Another reason for the tuner to stay during the concert is the pleasure to listen to the music .

Jose wrote:

hi,

The standard tuning in Pianoteq is precisely  done as a "manual tuning from the real grand X", in particular by following exactly the inharmonicity pattern of the strings, as a tuner does when he listens to the piano strings. You can also get a 100% equal temperament in Pianoteq (which in particular ignores the inharmonicity of the strings) by chosing "flat" in the Temperament menu form the Tuning panel. This temperament is of course not recommended for pianos.

I tune acoustic pianos mostly by ear, but use  the "Pitch Lab" strobe app as a check to see which side of sharp or flat i"m on.  Basically you have to tune any piano to itself, by listening to what it tells you.  I use short musical excerpts from Bach, and the Novello etudes as an integrity check.  Naturally you have to play these in all keys.   For "equal temperament" your minor thirds and an augmented thirds have to be even.  In other words you can do an initial check by playing diminished chords up and down the keyboard and then augmented chords.  But in the end you have to polish it off with musical excerpts of the right type.  In some respects getting the base notes right is the most difficult as there is generally so much inharmonicity within the instrument itself.  For the upper treble, I like nice sounding "bell tones" that sing out. The reason your ear tuner's tuning sounded so good is that he in fact listened to what the piano was telling him.  You can use a machine as a guide, but you always have to overrule it with your ear.  If the tuning sounds good it is good.  That said, 10ths should sound sweet, not harsh.  You can pretty much tell the quality of the tuning by testing the 10ths, but everything is a compromise.  You have to be sure the wider intervals are working well too.  I find Pinaoteq's tuning to be superb.  But it will be hard to find an acoustic that's as nicely tuned as the Pianoteq instruments in "mint" condition.  The strings of an actual instrument will tend to have more inharmonicity with other higher strings on the instrument.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inharmonicity

Pianoteq Pro 7.x - Kubuntu Linux 19.10 - Plasma Desktop - Hamburg Steinway

Philippe Guillaume wrote:

It can even get slightly out of tune during a concert, particularly if the pianist plays fff passages. This is why usually the tuner stays during the concert and retunes a few notes during entr'acte. Another reason for the tuner to stay during the concert is the pleasure to listen to the music .

And a harpsichord will go out of tune during a concert whenever the central heating or central air conditioning in the hall turns on. Often at the conclusion of a piece or movement after the heating or air conditioning comes on, the harpsichordist will stop the proceedings and retune the instrument himself. He will probably spend most of the intermission extensively retuning the harpsichord as well.

Here in Atlanta, Georgia, USA, we have extremes of temperature and humidity. The church sanctuaries where the groups that I am a fan of perform all have their central heating and air conditioning pre-programmed by a central computer control on a weekly schedule that cannot be over-ridden by the orchestra when it's time for a concert. So harpsichordists, and indeed all string players in the Baroque orchestra with their sheep-gut-string instruments, are entirely at the mercy of the computer-controlled heating and air conditioning.

All concert harpsichordists have to act as their own tuners and repair technicians. Their instrument will require a thorough tuning when it is transported to the site of the concert, and will require touch-up tuning during every concert. There is also the likelihood for the need to replace broken strings and worn-out plectra during each concert.

You modern pianists have it very easy.

Last edited by Wheat Williams (14-07-2015 03:54)
Dayton, Ohio, United States of America
macOS 10.14.6 Mojave • Apple MacBook Pro (2017), no Touch Bar • 2.3 GHz Intel Core i5, 2 core • 8GB RAM

wow, that's a lot of maintenance... makes you appreciate our digital keyboards + pianoteq setups even more

http://soundcloud.com/delt01
Pianoteq 5 STD+blüthner, Renoise 3 • Roland FP-4F + M-Audio Keystation 88es
Intel i5@3.4GHz, 16GB • Linux Mint xfce 64bit

Re harpsichord tuning etc, I heartily agree.  Owned a copy of the 1769 Taskin for 20 years and used it several times a year in concerts and recitals.  In churches in the UK, the problem is dampness: humidity way higher than the centrally-heated home it normally sat in and was built for.  So, major tuning before the start, having got the instrument in there as early as possible, with further last minute adjustments.  Significant re-tuning in the interval, particularly the 4', against the background of audience chatter and people coming up asking questions etc. Not a lot of opportunity to prepare/worry about the second half!  Only had a string break once in a recital, inevitably the highest 8' brass string.  Replaced it in the interval, but it wandered down and down in the second half, probably better to have just left it. Solid brass strings stretch a lot after being installed.

Maintaining a harpsichord takes a lot of time, but you really get to know the instrument.  Frank Hubbard - I think - said that removing all the jacks and the keybed when necessary (been there) and then replacing it all should not be done in the company of children or small dogs.

However, it seems to me, having been an acoustic organ/harpsichord/piano player for over half a century, now happily transferred to digital/Pianoteq, that digital players have more opportunity to get to know and shape their preferred instrument(s) through PT's interface than acoustic pianists, most of whom who have to rely on tuners/technicians. I never use headphones and room acoustics demand work to tailor the instruments to your environment.  After nearly 2 years I have stopped adjusting, but am trying to move house, so the process will start again, but this time higher up the learning curve.