Topic: Unable to Execute Pianoteq

I'm unable to open either Pianoteq 5 or 4 after downloading them to my newly installed Linux OS (Ubuntu). I click and double-click on the icon, but nothing happens.

I seem to recall this happening when I made a previous installation on another computer, but I can't remember how the problem was resolved.

Anyone?

Re: Unable to Execute Pianoteq

Probably if right click on the Pianoteq icon there will be a pop-up menu with an option like "Properties".   In there you should be able to check where the icon thinks the executable for Pianoteq is.   Pianoteq does not have a full installer on linux, as far as I know.   You first need to unzip the "7z" file (e.g. pianoteq_linux_v521.7z) and the copy the appropriate executable (either amd64  i386 or to say, /usr/bin, which will require sudo).   Then you need to make sure your icon executes the Pianoteq program in the location where you have installed it.

Thanks very much.

I did unpack all those files successfully, but the Properties box does not indicate where the .exe files links to (though I can figure that out, I think).

As I said, this happend when I installed Pianoteq on another computer. Eventually it dawned on me why it was't working, but I can't remember what  the reason was.

Probably you just need to set the execute permission on the file - which would be kind of weird, since extracting the .7z archive does this automatically for you.

Anyway... open a terminal window in the directory which contains the executable file (the directory will likely be called "amd64") and then in the terminal window, type:

sudo chmod +x "Pianoteq 5"

Now you can test if it runs by just typing:

"Pianoteq 5"

(remember the TAB key is your friend in the terminal ) ...you'll see any diagnostics messages in the terminal window.

On a side note, there are no ".exe" files in unix systems. So-called filename "extensions" are dos and windows's deficient way of trying to tell different formats apart by adding a 3-character property that shows up at the end of the filename. This comes from a Unix "tradition" of indicating file types by adding a suffix to the filename, but in real systems, nothing "binds" the file to a specific type based on the filename. This case is an example, where in windows an executable filename HAS to end with ".exe", whereas on Unix systems (including Linux) there's a specific flag to indicate a file is executable, you usually control these with the "chmod" command. (there is no "chmod" command on dos/windows) Anyways, there are many other filename shenanigans and complications we have to thank bill gates for, but for today that will be all.

Last edited by delt (24-06-2015 07:58)
http://soundcloud.com/delt01
Pianoteq 5 STD+blüthner, Renoise 3 • Roland FP-4F + M-Audio Keystation 88es
Intel i5@3.4GHz, 16GB • Linux Mint xfce 64bit

Thanks very much. I'll give it a whirl.

On UBUNTU STUDIO all works fine without doing anything else.

But it's just THE ONLY ONE Linux distrubution that works EXACTLY LIKE WINDOWS.

Now I need someone that explains me how to "install" the -rt kernel on UBUNTU STUDIO ...