Topic: VPC-1 and Pianoteq: Let-off/Aftertouch Question

I'm using the Pianoteq velocity curve preset built-into my Kawai VPC-1, and have a velocity curve calibrated thru Pianoteq (5 Stage) active on top of that to arrive at an overall touch/curve that I'm pretty happy with.

However, there's a remaining annoying problem with "let-off".  If I release a key too slowly, that key continues to sound as if the sustain pedal were being held just for that key.  Unless I press that key again (and release it normally) it sustains for quite a long time (slowly fading out).

I suspect that it's a problem with my Pianoteq curve, since it asked me for input about "let-off/aftertouch" during the calibration.  And this phenomenon doesn't happen if I'm using the VPC-1 with anything other than Pianoteq.

If my assumption is correct, is there a way to adjust ONLY the "let-off" setting without changing anything else in Pianoteq?

Thanks.

Bert

Re: VPC-1 and Pianoteq: Let-off/Aftertouch Question

Did you see that there are more curves to be adjusted when clicking on one of the the arrows at the top of the graph? One of them is Aftertouch. I use the Pro version but I guess Stage has it too.

EDIT: I think I got confused. What you probably need to adjust is the NOTE-OFF curve, not the aftertouch. Sorry...

Last edited by Gilles (23-06-2015 23:42)

I also use the Pianoteq curve. And on top of that, I always adjust the straight line in Pianoteq towards a more or less curved line, where the soft part is softened somewhat more, and after the middle point it rises more steeply. I use some 3 to 5 adjusting points.
Also, I most of the times cut off the loudest parts, ending at 110 instead of 127.
this is very pe3rsonal, of course, and in my case has to do with my somewhat impaired hearing.

My experience is, that I get more control on the curve, just by doing it by mouse, instead of using the calibration function.  The way I see it, this calibration function takes your inputs, and tries to convert it towards a goal that it has set ITSELF.......!!

It is in my opinion better, to set the goal yourself.  No problem with the let-off.

Greetings,

Geert

Gilles wrote:

Did you see that there are more curves to be adjusted when clicking on one of the the arrows at the top of the graph? One of them is Aftertouch. I use the Pro version but I guess Stage has it too.

EDIT: I think I got confused. What you probably need to adjust is the NOTE-OFF curve, not the aftertouch. Sorry...

Yes, by setting the start of the Note-Off curve at (0,15) instead of the default of (0,0) it removed the unwanted "sustain" effect.

Thanks.