Topic: Setting a "Meaningful" Velocity Curve

I have experimented with different velocity curves and haven't arrived at what I'd call a "meaningful" one.  By that I mean that I'm not completely satisfied how it plays.  For example, whne actually playing a piece, I'll sometimes hit a key lightly, but there's no tone and sometimes I'll hit a key a bit too hard resulting in a tone that's WAY too loud.  (I know, I know....perhaps it's my poor dynamics in the way I play....but let's set that aside for sake of this discussion.)

I'm thinking that perhaps I'm following the velocity curve calibration instructions too literally.  For example, when I'm prompted to play a key (or keys) as lightly/quietly as possible, I concentrate on doing exactly that - ONE key, usually with my index finger, as lightly as possible, which sometimes results in a velocity value of 1 (which is MUCH quieter than I manage when actually playing a piece).  Is that what I should be doing, or should I PLAY a short passage (a bar or two) that calls for 'ppp'?  (Same thing for 'fff'.  That is, play a few bars rather than just hitting an individual key as hard as I can?)

I would think that actually playing a bar or two at the prompted loudness (ppp, p, f and fff) would result in a more realistic or "meaningful" curve, no?

Any guidance on getting an optimal velocity curve would be appreciated.

BTW - I have Pianoteq 5 Stage, if that matters.

Thanks!

Last edited by newbert (15-06-2015 21:39)

Re: Setting a "Meaningful" Velocity Curve

When calibrating, you should play at least several notes (not necessarily with both hands, but that'll work too) while trying to maintain the consistent level of dynamics that is requested by the calibrator. It will average the value according to all the notes you've played.

Hard work and guts!

I find the calibrating assistance useless. Here is my approach:

a) Set both your keyboard and Pianoteq velocity curves to linear.

b) Start playing - practicing during some period of time, maybe a couple of days or more.

c) Find your ideal overall volume - it is the most important setting - making it too loud will get you struggle to play softer then necessary and vice versa.

d) Find the Dynamics settings that looks realistic and comfortable for you. Making it wider let you separate the melody more easily while making the passages less even and vice versa.

e) And only at this point you may or may not feel that some areas, say, from mF to FF you'd like to have more dynamic range then another, in turn it will give you more control in the P area. So set the curve manually. At this point if you spent enough time mastering all the previous settings you will just feel exactly what you need it to be.

Here is my procedure:

Phase 1: Set your keyboard sensitivity. This setting is the most important IMO, and is only made visually, don't give attention to the sound: you should be able to see ppp notes when you play very soft and fff notes only when you play very hard on the Pianoteq screen.

When this is done, you should have a good connection between your hands and what is recognized by the system, on Pianoteq. That meens that when you play pp or mf or fff, it is really recognized as a pp or a mf or a fff. This IMO must be done only on visual basis.

Now the problem is that, even if your phase 1 is well made, a pp or a ff could be to direct or to soft for you.

Phase 2: Adjust the velocity curve to your taste. Now, hear the sound and adjust finelly the velocity curve.

When these operations are done, you should have a good connection and a good sound.

Phase 3: Adjust the Dynamics slider, IMO not more than 10% of the factory value.

Phase 4: Adjust the volume.

If it doesn't sound right, go back to Phase 2...

Good luck

Last edited by stamkorg (16-06-2015 09:29)