Topic: Rattle and Lute Stop in Pianoteq 5, and historical temperaments

I'm sure that most Pianoteq users are puzzled as to what the newly announced Rattle and Lute Stop pedal effects in Pianoteq 5 are, or why they would want them, but I'm not. I'm specifically interested in historical harpsichords and fortepianos, which is where the Rattle and Lute Stop come from.

I have downloaded the demo version of Pianoteq 5 Stage, but I'm disappointed that the KiVR instruments cannot be accessed from the demo version at all. I presume you will be adding Rattle and Lute Stop capability to some KiVR instruments, and perhaps to some Kremsegg instruments too (some early fortepianos had a Rattle effect). With the demo version of Pianoteq 5 Stage, I cannot find any instruments I can try out which have the Rattle or Lute Stop pedals enabled. And I cannot try out the Rattle or the Lute Stop with any KiVR instruments.

Please tell me: Will these extra pedal effects be usable with Pianoteq 5 Stage and the KiVR instruments as they now stand? Or will it be necessary to wait for the forthcoming new version of KiVR for Pianoteq 5 to use these pedals? Will the support for Rattle and Lute Stop be the same in Pianoteq 5 Stage as in Pianoteq 5 Standard?

While we are on the subject, your comparison charts for the different versions of Pianoteq have never said anything about historical temperaments. With Pianoteq 4 and 4.5, historical temperaments were not available with Pianoteq Stage but only with Pianoteq Standard and Pro (and I did not learn this until I had purchased Pianoteq Stage and found that it had no facility for historical temperaments).

Is this still the case with Pianoteq 5? Must I purchase the Standard version if I want historical temperaments?

Last edited by Wheat Williams (23-05-2014 22:30)
Dayton, Ohio, United States of America
macOS 10.14.6 Mojave • Apple MacBook Pro (2017), no Touch Bar • 2.3 GHz Intel Core i5, 2 core • 8GB RAM

Re: Rattle and Lute Stop in Pianoteq 5, and historical temperaments

By the way, when you say there will be a "Rattle" pedal, I assume you are talking about an effect found on early fortepianos that I have never seen in action, or heard, but only read about. I have read that certain early fortepianos used by composers such as Mozart and Schubert had a stop or pedal which would lower a roll of parchment paper onto the strings at some point, to produce a buzzing, rattling sound when the keys were struck. I suppose this would be an early example of "prepared piano".

macOS 10.14.6 Mojave • Apple MacBook Pro (2017), no Touch Bar • 2.3 GHz Intel Core i5, 2 core • 8GB RAM

Along the same lines, the "Lute stop" was a harpsichord effect. A felt or leather mute was pressed against the strings near the bridge, producing an effect not unlike the "con sordino" effect on a violin. It muffled the higher harmonics of the string and shortened the sustain and decay, changing the harpsichord's sustaining sound into one that sounded a bit like plucking notes on the lute.

Last edited by Wheat Williams (23-05-2014 22:32)

All those pedals have an influence on ALL models, so far that I've tried. Even KiViR instruments.

You still cannot change temperament/diapason in Stage. You need Standard or Pro for that.

Last edited by EvilDragon (23-05-2014 22:43)
Hard work and guts!

You wrote: "You still cannot change temperament/diapason in Stage. You need Standard or Pro for that."

Well, then, this is confusing and perhaps deceptive.

I have downloaded the demo Pianoteq 5 Stage, and it contains numerous presets with names like "J. Donahl Werkmeister III" and "J. Donahl mesotonic".

Do you mean to say that despite the names, that these temperaments will not actually work in Pianoteq 5 Stage?

You are incorrect on one point. You can change diapason (base pitch such as A=440 or otherwise) in Pianoteq 5 Stage, but not temperament. Changing diapason was available in Pianoteq 4 Stage as well.

I have noticed that there is one lone instrument in the demo Pianoteq 5 Stage that has the Rattle pedal, and that is the I. Besendorfer (1829).

It seems that there are no instruments in the demo Pianoteq 5 Stage that use the Lute Stop pedal.

I understand that the developers have stated that a complete overhaul of the KiVR instrument set for Pianoteq 5 is still under development and forthcoming, and that it will continue to be free. There are several instruments in the KiVR set that have always needed a Lute Stop or a Rattle effect (and in some cases both effects, available independently), because the real-world instruments they are based on had such effects. I look forward to seeing the results of this work.

Last edited by Wheat Williams (23-05-2014 23:05)

No no, those presets WILL work in Stage - that's why they are there, because you cannot change the temperament on the GUI.

My bad about diapason. It's been ages since I've used Stage, because I've a Pro version now

BTW, try right-clicking the 4 pedals on the GUI, you should have options for selecting which pedal does what...

Last edited by EvilDragon (23-05-2014 23:10)
Hard work and guts!

And here is some feedback to the Pianoteq developers:

I am very thankful that you created the Lute Stop and Rattle (Bassoon) pedal effects for Pianoteq 5. They will add a great deal of authenticity and musical usefulness to the harpsichord and early fortepiano instruments (once you get the KIViR library rewritten for Pianoteq 5). I will probably wait to pay for an upgrade to Pianoteq 5 until the KIViR for Pianoteq 5 update has been released.

It is really delightful to be able to play and sequence Mozart and Schubert piano repertoire on the KIViR pianofortes, which represent the kind of instruments that Mozart and Schubert actually owned.

I would like to see more harpsichord instruments from even earlier time periods. The history of the harpsichord spans around 300 years, from about 1500 to about 1800. The KIVir only features two instruments from 1697 and 1733; that's only 36 years apart. How about new instruments representing harpsichords from 1550, 1625, or 1780, for example? The timbre of the instruments were quite different across that time period.

From my limited understanding of harpsichord design, I believe that both of the KIVir harpsichords are essentially single-manual instruments with one "disposition". As I understand it, the real Blanchette harpsichord, which is a two-manual instrument, would have three completely different "choirs" or 5-octave sets of strings to play. On the real instrument, for example  one could play the lower manual and get one 8' choir, but then engage a coupler to bring in an entirely different set of 5 octaves of strings an octave higher, the 4' choir. Then on the upper manual there would be a third choir of 5 octaves of strings at 8' which would have a different timbre and dynamic level due to having a different set of plectra positioned closer to the nut, giving a more nasal timbre (nasard).

I haven't done much experimentation, but I imagine that the only way to simulate the 8' and 4' choirs coupled with Pianoteq would be to make a multi-track recording, with one track being the basic patch, and the second track being the same MIDI data transposed one octave higher, with a small timing offset so that the plucking of the strings in each choir wouldn't be exactly at the same time, to account for slight randomness in the mechanical jack mechanisms in a real harpsichord. I would imagine that if you were to figure out how to implement coupled choirs in live performance with Pianoteq, this would double or triple the required polyphony and the strain on the CPU.

If anybody else on this forum likes playing with the harpsichords and early pianofortes, please chime in.

Last edited by Wheat Williams (26-05-2014 05:43)

Oh I love the sound of harpsichords! Not much of a particularly good player of dedicated harpsichord pieces, but I can definitely enjoy playing them.

I will second your request for more harpsichords, virginals, clavichords, from older times. Regarding your supposed issue of multi-manual harpsichord, I don't think it would be a too big problem to introduce some switches to the Pianoteq GUI to toggle between each - there are A/B C/D switches for the Clavinet in Pianoteq Stage version, those could be repurposed, for example... There is definitely room for something like that, so you wouldn't need to multitrack your recording.

Hard work and guts!

Just wanted to chime in with the enthusiasm for harpsichord support in Pianoteq. And yes, I too would be delighted if further instruments were added. For the moment, I'll just look forward to the re-release of KIViR, hoping that some work went into the harpsichords as well. (By the way, I think the Pianoteq team has been doing a great job!)

I have in fact used two stage pianos to sort of emulate the two registers of the Grimaldi. At least on Linux with jackd, it's not a problem running two instances of standalone Pianoteq and using different settings (e.g. Grimaldi A on one, A+B on the other) for the two keyboards. Admittedly this was more of a chance experiment; when I upgraded to a VPC-1, I kept my old P-90 around mostly to try a "two piano" setup for four-handed play, and being short on storage space, I got a stackered stand. If I was using the harpsichord setup more frequently, and had the space and depth of pockets required, I'd probably opt for smaller (well, actually really just having less height than the VPC-1) keyboards where this kind of positioning would be less awkward. (On this note, I'm wondering what would be a good recommendation of an electronic keyboard suitable for harpsichord emulation? From limited experience of playing a historical one many years ago, I doubt the much improved recent mechanisms in the likes of the VPC-1 are a good match for the original feel, but would be even more uncomfortable with a light, plasticky electronic keyboard variant.)

It is also possible to use two Pianoteq instances with just one keyboard and splitting it at a certain note, but this will require a bit of work to set up the midi mapping, even more so if say duplication of one central octave is desired.

Just to clarify, all my tests were done on the 4.5 versions, I'll probably only get around to experimenting with this on v5 once the new KIViRs arrive and enthusiasm overcomes sense of other duties. ;-)

Best,
Dan

I am currently listening to the great  "Musik für das Lautenklavier" - Works for Lute Harpsichord played by Robert Hill. I think this instroment would make a lovely new model for the Historic Instruments group. The sound is very warm and rich, perfect for baroque and Renaissance music.

I love Pianoteq for the modern grands and the historic pianos, but for harpsichord, I use the Sonus Paradisi 1624 Ruckers copy, using the free version of Hauptwerk.  Wonderful instrument. Because the compass is smaller than 88 keys, you can "program" the bottom few keys and/or the top few keys to change stops/coupler.  Not quite as quick as the original levers and certainly not as quick as the shove coupler on acoustic instruments, but this is really only an issue with French rondeaus (x?) where there are seamless transitions from section to section and where a change in colour is wanted. The 1624 Ruckers, clearly having undergone the usual French ravalement, has 2 manuals, 2 X 8'. 1 X 4' and the "Laute" stop on the upper manual, usually called the buff stop in English.