Topic: harpsichord and organ

hello everybody,

i'm just about to take the plunge and buy pianoteq, because I had to sell my old piano and my current digital piano does not satisfy my needs. one key feature that i would like to know about is harpsichords/clavichords; i just love them, need them to produce my music, and i've never heard any decent harpsichord sound come out of any digital piano or synthesizer (except for an old roland xp-30 i had). i wanted to know your opinions on those free packages that unfortunately i don't have access to, how 'realistic' do you consider them to be? would they sit well in front of a mix?

perhaps modartt should make these also available for their demos!

ps: do you know if they are planning to release pipe-organ physical models?

thanks!!!!

Re: harpsichord and organ

You can find audio demos that showcase them quite well, here:

https://www.pianoteq.com/listen_by_inst...%281697%29
https://www.pianoteq.com/listen_by_inst...%281697%29

And why would anyone else apart from Modartt know what their future plans are?

Last edited by EvilDragon (13-05-2015 08:54)
Hard work and guts!

There are no organs in Pianoteq but there are a few organ-like presets -- D4 Hybrid and some of the electric pianos.

Any FXP makers working on more organ-like instruments?

I was under the impression that sample libraries are a better solution for pipe organs. There's not much interaction between pipes, and modeling such complex airflow seems like overkill.

But there's interaction between each pipe and the room surrounding them. Not really a solution for samples, or convolution reverbs.

Hauptwerk virtual organ plugin employs a combination of sampling and modeling to achieve its sound. I would suggest using Hauptwerk since that's what it's made for, rather than cramming organs into Pianoteq. Organs are not pianos

Last edited by EvilDragon (13-05-2015 16:02)
Hard work and guts!

Thanks everybody for your very enlightening replies, especially EvilDragon. Now I would just like to add that I did hear the harpsichord samples, but as you may know, one thing is hearing, the other is playing!

Kind regards to everybody.

harpsiteq wrote:

Thanks everybody for your very enlightening replies, especially EvilDragon. Now I would just like to add that I did hear the harpsichord samples, but as you may know, one thing is hearing, the other is playing!

Hauptwerk has harpsichord samples, too, in particular through sonusparadisi.cz which I recommend.

I too recommend Sonus Paradisi.  The copy of the 1624 Ruckers plays and sounds like an acoustic harpsichord. 2 manuals,  2X8', 1X4', buff stop on upper 8'. (I owned a copy of the 1769 Taskin for 20 years and have played numerous harpsichords over the years)

It will run in the free version of Hauptwerk and costs about 50 Euros.  There are also some free/inexpensive/demo organs, a few of which fit into the free version of Hauptwerk.  These organs will be small.